Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2017 11:03:27 AM EDT
I had more typed but apparently I'm limited as a newbie (even though I've been a  lurker for years) so here's the one line summary:

If an 80% lower is partially completed enough to  legally be considered a firearm, can a licensed gunsmith then modify it to 100% and legally not be considered the "manufacturer"?

Any tested cases similar to this that anyone knows of?

I know build parties and manufacturing an 80% lower into a firearm for another person are not legal, but that's not what I'm asking.   I don't think the "80%" standard is written in law or regulation and my guess is this is exactly why.  Either something is a firearm or it isn't, but my guess is the ATF wants to have its cake and eat it too by not being overly specific.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, once it's 81% it is a firearm.

Doing it yourself is all part of the challenge, A Jedi isn't a Jedi until he builds his own Light Sabre
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I had more typed but apparently I'm limited as a newbie (even though I've been a  lurker for years) so here's the one line summary:

If an 80% lower is partially completed enough to  legally be considered a firearm, can a licensed gunsmith then modify it to 100% and legally not be considered the "manufacturer"?

Any tested cases similar to this that anyone knows of?

I know build parties and manufacturing an 80% lower into a firearm for another person are not legal, but that's not what I'm asking.   I don't think the "80%" standard is written in law or regulation and my guess is this is exactly why.  Either something is a firearm or it isn't, but my guess is the ATF wants to have its cake and eat it too by not being overly specific.
View Quote

Build parties are fine. The key issues is "in the business". As long as nobody involved is in the business, you are GTG.

https://www.atf.gov/file/11711/download

IME, most gunsmiths will not touch it though if it is not in a working state.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:19:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Doing it yourself is all part of the challenge, A Jedi isn't a Jedi until he builds his own Light Sabre
View Quote
I like that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
No ATF regulation mentions "81%". It's either a firearm or it isn't.
Read this ATF FAQ's on receiver blanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No ATF regulation mentions "81%". It's either a firearm or it isn't.
Read this ATF FAQ's on receiver blanks
View Quote
Precisely.

And these fine folks have been selling this product for years: https://www.americanspiritarms.com/product-p/asa-15-lower-95a.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top