Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2017 4:38:35 PM EDT
I have a guy in Massachusetts that want to buy my XDS.  From what I understand I can not legally ship a gun to his ffl if its not on the list?
He told me I can ship the frame (lower) to his FFL and the rest of the gun to his home address.  He will then assemble it at home after picking up the serialized frame from his FFL and register it as a build.  Anyone know if this is legal?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I do believe I'd tell him sorry.

Then again, it's not illegal for you to ship it to his FFL; but it might be illegal for him to receive it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do believe I'd tell him sorry.

Then again, it's not illegal for you to ship it to his FFL; but it might be illegal for him to receive it.
View Quote
Yeah i'm about to tell him that if I can't find anything out.  Like you said it not illegal if I ship the frame to the FFL.  He said he has the proper license to buy a hand gun.  Just not sure how all that works when he put it all to gather.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Might want to try the Ma htf
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#4]
MA has a law / tyrannical decree that lists which handguns a dealer can transfer in state.

MA defines a firearm , handgun and rifle, as being able to fire a bullet.

As a result, FFLs can legally transfer a frame, even a frame not on the list, because it can not discharge a bullet.

Once it is transferred, the handgun can be put together but then needs to be registered with the state, not registering is a crime.

Does the state prosecute people for working around the transfer laws by taking the gun apart for the transfer? Is that a crime?

I don't know.  

I know of one gun shop that was selling new glocks ( not the on transfer list) in 2 pieces and were told to stop.

I do know they have prosecuted people with parts that made a whole firearm, even though it was not put together, for not registering the parts as a registered gun.

In this state I would be very leary of doing anything outside the bounds of what is specifically allowed ( without a conscious decision knowing what the consequences can be ) because it is filled with corrupt SJW judges  and corrupt prosecutors looking to prove how anti-gun they are. And the juries are the same.

T-22 months and counting until my escape.

ETA: I do know that people legally build race guns from a transfered frame, but they are not whole guns taken apart and put back together. Does an XDS have matching serial numbers on any of the upper parts. That may be an important detail.

You can legally ship the whole gun or just the frame to the FFL. The law dictates what the FFL can transfer in state, not what the FFL can have.  I would do nothing without talking to the FFL first or what ever you ship might get shipped back on refusal.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Everything on the XDS match.
According to the guy I talked to his FFL wont accept firearms he does not sell but he will take a frame.  Guess my biggest question is if I do ship it to him and he transfer it to the guy and MA decide to go full retard (oops to late) who gets into trouble?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#6]
What he is proposing is perfectly legal under MGL and as long as the receiving FFL is on-board with doing this, there is no risk to anyone.

The problem within MA was the dealer was disassembling and selling the entire gun in 2 parts to dodge the law.

In this case the MA FFL never sees/touches the upper and thus is totally in the clear doing this.

Proceeding has no risk to the OP either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top