Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2003 6:51:55 PM EDT
Is it or is it not legal to remove importation marks that are stamped on all firearms imported into the United States?

I cannot find any reference to this particular subject.

All I can find is the GCA reference that requires importer marks on all firearms that are to be imported into this country (no reference to what happens afterwards), and a reference to the illegality of removing serial numbers from firearms.

But I can't find anything referring to removal of  importer marks, specifically.

On CZ pistols, the importer mark is laser-engraved onto the right side of the dust cover of the frame. CZ pistols come with a "polycoat" (spray and bake) finish (as well as others), and the importer mark is 'engraved' on top of and through this paint finish. If one were to strip the gun for refinishing, the importer's mark would most likely be obliterated beyond recognition.

If it was illegal to remove, wouldn't they have made it a bit more permanent than laser-drawing it on top of a coat of paint?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#1]
It is not unlawful to remove an importer's identification mark. See my detailed reply in the General Discussion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top