Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/11/2003 11:15:44 PM EDT
This has been bugging me for some time, and I've never been able to find the answer in black & white. What is the chapter and verse in the BATF rule book that says a 80% completed AR-15 lower receiver is not considered a firearm, just a paper weight? Who decides that a particular casting is 80% finished and not legally a fire arm, or decides it's 81% finished and you need to go to prison for being an unlicensed manufacturer or for transferring guns without an FFL? How does that magicical 80% get determined? Is it just how a particular BATF agent felt when he got out of bed that day? Does the BATF sign off on a manufacturer's casting as being 80% or less? What's the drill a foundry has to go through to make cast receivers without fearing a 10 year jail sentence for producing an 81% completed receiver? Do the manufacturers /sellers provide the buyer with some sort of letter authenticating that it's a "non" gun as shipped?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:44:33 AM EDT
ATFE decides whether a particular casting/forging is 80% or not. Many manufacturers submit a copy of the casting/forging to ATFE for a determination, but it depends on what model is being produced. As far as I know, for AR types, you can have any 1 of 3 areas completed. 1-mag well, 2- buffer tube, 3-fire component well. This is why you see a variety of 80% lowers, with different areas which are completed or not. I remember reading a BATF letter from years ago stating that the requirement for the 80% cutoff is based on the amount of time required to allow the frame/lower to fire 1 shot has to be at least 8 hrs. This doesn't mean the frame/lower has to work properly, or function 100%, it just has to fire 1 shot to be considered a completed firearm. Manufuactures don't provide letters authenticating it as a non-gun. They have no reason to to provide this information to the buyer. As the seller, all they have to make sure of is that they are not selling an 81%+, so that they don't run into violations of Fed. Laws. Some manufactures have gone the route of producing the lower/frame and sending it to the ATFE's Technical Branch in Wash. for a determination. The lower/frame must be submitted in the exact configuration it is going to be sold as. ATFE will make a determination as to whether it falls under the 80% level, and if it doesn't will tell what has to be done in order to bring it into compliance. Remember, this is Federal, your State may have other laws.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:41:49 PM EDT
Good info, neilfj. Does anybody have a definitive source document for this? I have scoured the BATFE site looking at the regs and laws and I can't find anything other than the stuff that says I can make a firearm for my personal use. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:56:56 AM EDT
"What is the chapter and verse in the BATF rule book that says a 80% completed AR-15 lower receiver is not considered a firearm, just a paper weight?" You have not found it because, there is no such thing as the 80% thingy in Federal law, Regulation, or Ruling.
Top Top