Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2003 4:16:06 PM EDT
I posted this over in the AK forum, but didn't ever get a real definitive answer.

I have a Russian SKS. The rifle is listed a a Curio and Relic by ATF, provided it is not modified from the form it was imported in, aka, on mine, I could leave the bayonet attached if I don't modify it.

I'd like to add a thumbhole stock, which ATF classifies as a pistol grip. I already have the bayonet lug (obviously this mod would negate the C&R status, and I'd have to remove the bayonet, but not the lug). I currently have a 5 round fixed magazine, which is the same as the standard magazine with the exception of capacity. I'll probably go back to the standard 10 round mag in any case.

Here's the question: does the standard type magazine on the SKS qualify as a fixed magazine, or is the rifle classified as accepting a detachable magazine regardless of what's in it?

If the rifle is classified as accepting a detachable magazine, regardless of what it's actually wearing, a pistol grip stock would put me afoul of the AWB. If the standard mag is classified as a fixed mag, I should be able to "evil feature" myself to death, as I won't fall under the AWB without a detachable magazine, right?

Finally, would ownership prior to 9/94 make this whole question a moot point, as it would be a preban?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#1]
"I posted this over in the AK forum, but didn't ever get a real definitive answer."

Did you try the legal section?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The standard mag for an SKS isn't considered a detachable mag. It doesn't retain rounds when it is detached.

There are some rules about certain SKSes but I'm not familiar enough to quote them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top