Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/6/2003 1:14:43 PM EDT
What is the law for New York City for ownig a AR-15 style .223 from Bushmster? I want to order it from CMP,but my local FFL dealer says it is against the law. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:28:27 PM EDT
Forget it. NYC has the strictest assault weapons definition on the books. Any semiutomatic rifle with even one forbidden feature -- that is, a pistol grip, flash suppressor, bayonet lug, folding stock or grenade launcher -- is illegal. This is whether or not the rifle accepts a detachable magazine -- meaning the Cali legal weapons (i.e., FAB 15) are not going to pass in NYC either. The best you are going to do is a Mini-14 with 5 round mags. And you will need a rifle shotgun permit for that if you don't have one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:19:25 PM EDT
I am not sure, so don't quote me on this. If a rifle was already in the city at the time of the assualt rifle ban I think that they may be grandfathered in. They maybe Transferable. I have seen a SKS for sale in NYC post NYC ban. I would call a local gun shop and find out or call the NYPD licensing section, I think it is in the basement, at the Kew Gardens Court house. Not sure if it still there? Good luck! One of the reasons I moved out of the city.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:56:11 AM EDT
Thanks for your input..after I posted I checked the NRA website and they have a link to all local gun laws. In the Peoples Republic Of New York City all of the features "Phil_A_Steen" mentioned are illegal. Soooo, it seems my compitition level rifle is going to have to live with my out-of-city brother.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:00:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By celticfozzie: I am not sure, so don't quote me on this. If a rifle was already in the city at the time of the assualt rifle ban I think that they may be grandfathered in. They maybe Transferable. I have seen a SKS for sale in NYC post NYC ban. I would call a local gun shop and find out or call the NYPD licensing section, I think it is in the basement, at the Kew Gardens Court house. Not sure if it still there? Good luck! One of the reasons I moved out of the city.
View Quote
No grandfathering. In fact, when the ban passed in 1992, the PD used the registration records to track down every AR15 in the city and make sure they were out. An SKS could be legal, if it had no bayonet/grenade launcher rings and a 5 round mag.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:04:28 AM EDT
Here is a link to the NRA site I mentioned. http://www.nra.org/frame.cfm?title=NRA%20Institute%20for%20Legislative%20Action&url=http://www.nraila.org
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:54:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By noisemaker: Soooo, it seems my compitition level rifle is going to have to live with my out-of-city brother.
View Quote
That's probably the best thing to do. Officially, I live at my parents country house upstate, and spend as little time in the city as possible (just for college classes)
Top Top