Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2003 6:57:44 PM EDT
Is it legal to mail hand guns and long guns to your self from one state to another cause your moving there
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 5:19:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is it legal to mail hand guns and long guns to your self from one state to another cause your moving there
View Quote

As David said, you cannot mail handguns unless you are a dealer.  You can however, ship your own firearms to yourself using a commercial carrier.  The trick is to convince the carrier.  Most will not accept a firearms shipment unless it is going to an FFL holder.  Also, since you are shipping to a nonlicensee (yourself), you must notify the carrier if a package contains a firearm.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 7:01:42 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the info moving to alaska tying to avoid canada and the once a month ferry out of juneau Ed
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#4]
when selling a handgun to someone in another state, do I have to take it to a ffl dealer and have them send it to the buyers ffl dealer?  or can i send it directly to the buyers ffl dealer?
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#5]
You can send the handgun to an FFL yourself, but NOT by the US Postal Service.  UPS or FedEx are the way to go.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#6]
ok, thanks for the info
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]
In NY, FFL holders can only accept shipments from another FFL. You can not send any kind of firearm with out a FFL in NY
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In NY, FFL holders can only accept shipments from another FFL. You can not send any kind of firearm with out a FFL in NY
View Quote

That is the position of the New York State Police Pistol Permit Division for a firearm (handgun) and they have informed all dealers in NY of their "rule." AFAIK there is nothing in the law that states that.

In NY a long gun is not a "firearm."  AFAIK there is no requirement that a long gun be shipped from an FFL to an FFL for transfer.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 1:54:00 AM EDT
[#9]
brokeeye--I sent an e-mail

Alaska specific BATF info on shipping if you want--I don't know if you found it yet but I can OCR scan to word or txt and send it if you want.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#10]
just in case others are interested in BATF Alaska specific info---I've got a site up. If you need personal refrences from my local FFL-I can get them to you

[url]http://www.geocities.com/lightertack/batfalaska.html?1052634055681[/url]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#11]
looks like the info i`ve been looking for thanks i`ll be in touch  
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad I could help--interestingly, I had gotten the set of documents that same day that I posted from an FFL here who had pissed off the local BATF lady so much that she gave him the papers and said to not bother her again about mailing.

[beathorse]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top