Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2001 2:55:40 PM EDT
Do I need to go through a class 3 dealer or can I use a regular gun dealer for a silencer? The silencer will come on the gun I want.  I will fill out the form1 and get approved first.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#1]
You would definetly have to go thru a class 3 dealer for a silencer, even if it is permanently attatched to a regular firearm.

BTW, whucha lukin fur?
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The said piece of merchandise is reffered to as a "Suppressor", as it is not actually "silent".
I just wanted to have some fun, actually I have an AWC MK9 for my UZI SBR, sorta sounds like a
"nail-gun", I think a can on a 223 would be fun also, but funds are short these days.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#3]
First off the form the ATF uses calls them silencers.  You are going to jail for possesion of a silencer. So let's call them what they are silencers.

Second off you can go through a regular FFL-01 but he will pay a $200 tax to take possesion of it and then you will pay another $200 tax to take possesion from him.

By going throgh a SOT C3 dealer there will only be on $200 tax unless you are buying a used silencer from a private party out of your home state. Then double taxes again. You will not use a form 1 unless you are manufacturing the silencer your self. You will purchase a silencer on form 4 unless you are buying from a government agency then you will buy on form 5 tax free.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 11:16:35 PM EDT
[#4]
i thopight form 5's where for inter goverment sales/temp transfers (sendind gun in for repair) and inter famliy tranfers ie dad dies tranfers NFA item to relate)
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By David Hineline:
You will not use a form 1 unless you are manufacturing the silencer your self.
View Quote
               It sounds to me like you know the law pretty well, so I have to ask...Is it legally possible for an individual to register a silencer that he has the ability to make on his own,saving hundreds of dollars ? or must it be made by a licensed manufacturer ? If so how can it be done & what paperwork is involved ? Any info would be appreciated.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#6]
You are right form 5 is for tax exempt transfer.

Buying from and selling to Government agencies is form 5 tax exempt.

So are the other situations you mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#7]
On ATF form 1 you may manuf any NFA device except new machine guns.

Get a copy of form 1 and all information is on the instruction page how to proceed.

Yea that's it save hundreds of dollars.

Let's see buy a lathe, buy tooling, come up with a design, buy materials, goto school to lear machine tool work, pay the $200 making tax.

Yep looks to me like this saves hundreds off the cost of a retail silencer.

You can currently manuf. Silencers, sawed off shotguns/rifles/destructive devices and Any Other Weapons.

If you gotta ask then you would not understand the answer.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have somewhat of an idea how they are constructed so that's not the problem.Problem is making it myself and following the law while doing so.If there is a way for me to make one legally,I will do so.Otherwise I will just have to wait till I can afford one.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By David Hineline:
Let's see buy a lathe, buy tooling, come up with a design, buy materials, goto school to lear machine tool work, pay the $200 making tax.

Yep looks to me like this saves hundreds off the cost of a retail silencer.
View Quote
                 I just thought I'd mention that I've been an Auto Mechanic since '82 and an Industrial Maintenace Mechanic/Electrician/Certified welder for the last six years.I have full access to any and all tools and technology I will need & therefore WILL save hundreds of dollars.Thank you very much for the info.I will be getting started as soon as the paperwork is out of the way.I'll be sure to let you know it turns out.                      Thanks again     ART
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 7:26:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Well then you can download the form 1 from this site.  Have fun. Remember even though you will be the licensed manufacturer of this one item you can not build spare/replacement parts or re-design the one unit you manuf after the fact.

[url]http://www.titleii.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Has to be a Class 3 dealer. You submit fingerprints,photos, personal info, and then pay a 1 time $200 fee and have your name in god knows what government data banks. Not for me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Ken:  no.  An unlicensed individual can build any NFA item except a machinegun on an approved Form 1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top