Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2001 2:28:48 PM EDT
A thought just crossed my mind. I'm planning to move to AZ within a month, but my girlfriend will continue to live at our house here until I get a little more established in AZ.
I was originally planning on leaving her with an AR or an AK as well as a shotgun and a handgun, but I just realized they're not registered to her, only to me. Can I legally leave them in the safe here when I'm a legal resident of another state? Or am I forced to take them with me to Free America??
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#1]
That is an interesting question.  Why would you leave them?  Arizona does not have communist laws like Kalifornia so you can take them there if you want.  If you really trust your girlfriend and you have to leave them in Kali, then I would do so.  It is registered so you aren't breaking the law.  How would that be any different than if you went out of town on business for a long period of time?  It's not like they have to be handcuffed to your wrist.  By the way I am not a lawyer, but that is my take.  Congrats on moving out of the PRK.  I just did it last December and I gotta tell you that it is great living in America.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not that I want to leave them, it's more of a convenience thing. My big gun safe is here, and I'll only be bringing a 12-gun Homak with me since I'll be living in an apartment temporarily. I have more than enough rifles to outfit myself comfortably as well. My concern was for her safety, and for her to have a weapon representing all range possibilities. I trust her with my life, and I want her to be able to protect her own as well.
The problem: If she's endangered, and needs to use a rifle that's registered to ME, but I'm nowhere around, I'm busted. part of the stipulations with the whole PRK registration monstrosity is that I can't loan the rifle to a friend if I'm not in the direct vicinity. I can't even loan out a "high capacity" magazine, if I'm not there.
Does this mean I have to take the stuff with me when I go? I would hate to see her get in trouble for having an "assault weapon" that's not registered to her. And I would hate to see one or more of my toys confiscated by the authorities.

Do I have to leave an SKS or something for her, or can I arm her in a way I feel appropriate?
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Just leave her with a good, sufficiently powerful handgun, several mags loaded and some extra ammo. She doesn't need an AK and she doesn't need a shotgun. If she knows how to use it, a handgun is most likely the first choice gun anyway, right?

Simplify.

What scenario would unfold for her that demanded a rifle or a shotgun, that a pistol in compitent hands couldn't accomplish?
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Who's legality are you concerned about?

If it's your GF's then just leave the AWs in the safe, and "don't leave her the combination."  She won't be in any situation where she needs an AW over any other gun where she can't spare the 15 seconds to open the safe (*if* she had the combination, which of course she won't).

So long as she leaves the safe locked, there will not be a problem.  She just doesn't tell anybody she had the combination.  Safe gets stolen?  She was not in possession of the AWs.  She didn't even know they were in there.

If you want to make it all legal-like, go down to Kinkos and get a lease form and rent a room (the one where the safe is) from your GF for storage for $50.00 a month.

What kind of problems are you worried about?
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Hopefully no problems at all. I just wasn't prepared to move everything, but I want to stay legal.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Do the rent thing and you oughtta be OK assuming that she's not a felon.

If you two were shacking up (shame, shame) then it's even easier, since that was, and "still is" your residence in a way.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Man, I wouldn't leave anything in Kali.  Registered and legal today - registered and confiscated tomorrow.  You've already seen it happen.  How can you trust them [?]  The best thing I ever did, was move out of that state. [:)]  Just my .04 cents worth.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#8]
FYI...your not technically a Resident until you have lived in AZ for 6 months. So you have six months to visit while your GF is watching your place? If your worried I would take the "AW's" with you and leave her a hand gun or shotgun or both.How long do you plan on being in AZ before you go back to get all your stuff?

John[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How long do you plan on being in AZ before you go back to get all your stuff?
John[heavy]
View Quote

Hopefully not long, but I'm not sure yet. It'll depend on how stable my job ends up being.

I didn't know that about the 6 months. luckily even a non-resident can get an AZ CCW.[:)] What about buying firearms in AZ? Do I have to wait until I'm a resident, or until I get my Driver's license transfered, or can I start right away?
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Beagles brings up an interesting point - residence.

This is a legal term of art as is "domiciliary."  It is often a grey area which is why I avoided it, but the grey area can be used to your advantage, of course.  Whatever you do, keep your California residency as long as you have any guns in California, or as long as you might go back.

That means keep registered to vote in California (we need your vote, anyways), keep the CDL, and register and insure your car at your GF's place.

Once you are absolutely sure where you are going to stay, then and only then change your residency.

This is not to say that your "residency" is up to you, but what you do does count.  It is a flexible concept, and it has to be.  Think about it; if it takes 6 months to become a AZ resident, what happens after you leave CA?  Are you a man without a state for 6 months?  A tempting proposition, no doubt, but uncommon.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How long do you plan on being in AZ before you go back to get all your stuff?
John[heavy]
View Quote

Hopefully not long, but I'm not sure yet. It'll depend on how stable my job ends up being.

I didn't know that about the 6 months. luckily even a non-resident can get an AZ CCW.[:)] What about buying firearms in AZ? Do I have to wait until I'm a resident, or until I get my Driver's license transfered, or can I start right away?
View Quote

You have to be a resident to buy firearms. 6 months. First thing I would do is get an AZ drivers license.You could probably buy from an individual because there is no registration law in AZ for private sale.Once you get an address other than a P.O box get a AZ DL. 6 months later
you are free to do whatever!Do you plan on living in Scottsdale?

John[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Also, note that AZ will issue a CCW (after the two-day course) to ANY US Citizen.  No requirement to be an AZ resident, and many other states recognize the AZ CCW.  Just a thought.  Also, open carry is legal in most places in AZ.

-Troy
View Quote

Yes, open carry is legal everywhere except:
1.)Anywhere the people in charge of the place request that you do not. Basically any place that has a sign on the fron door "firearms prohibited".example K-mart stores...
2.)Election polling place
3.)National parks except for hunting.
4.)Military base unless permission is given by commanding officer.
5.)Juvinile correction facility,or a prison or it's grounds.
6.)also any place that serves or sells alcohol.very grey area....
7.)any federal building.
8.)any school grounds.
9.)nuclear powerplants.
10.)gate side of airport security checkpoints.
Thats about everything...

John[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do you plan on living in Scottsdale?

View Quote

Most likely, but I'm not set on it. I'll be out there this weekend (Sun and Mon) to check out my options. I've heard there's some nice areas of Tempe that aren't as expensive. Not that Scottsdale's expensive compared to where I live now, I'm just hoping to get a good place for a reasonable amount of $$.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Treetop:
DO NOT SEPERATE YOURSELF FROM YOUR AR15'S!!
TAKE THEM WITH YOU, TELL NO ONE IN KALICOMMIEFORNICATION.
TRUST ME.
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Tempe, Mesa and a few other surrounding areas of Phoenix are nice and reasonable. The South/south east part of Scottsdale closer to Tempe/Mesa is where I live and it's reasonable. You can get a decent one bedroom apartment between $475-$650 a month and a two bedroom between $650-$800. If you want a place with a Gym/Spa more resort like will be between $800-$1200 a month. I pay $655 a month which includes water. A lot of places out here also include utilities. Stay away from south central Phoenix. It's basically a $#!t hole.If you got the money to pay around $800-$950 a month theres some really nice apartments in North Scottsdale with lots of amenities. Crime is very low around there ,too.

John[heavy][img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/shootingsoldier.gif[/img][img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/protect.gif[/img][img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/Cartwalk2.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#18]
those prices look similar to whats out here in LA
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 6:47:53 AM EDT
[#19]
It looks like I'll be bringing the "most evil" of my toys with me.
Thanks for the info, guys.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't do it unless you are 100% sure you ain't coming bavk.  What's done can't be undone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#21]
My firearms that have been registered here will continue to be registered here after I escape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top