Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2001 7:30:44 PM EDT
I am doing some research on the effectiveness of gun laws. I am looking for some numbers indicating the number of prosecutions for possessing an illegally configured AW since the '94 AW ban. I am having trouble finding anything and I am in need of some direction. Any help on where to find these numbers and any others relating to the '94 ban would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#3]
THEY cant prosecute what does NOT exist...

ALL AR-15 owners are honest, law obiding citizens !!!!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#4]
This is probably not a law that's outright enforced, but an-add on type.  Once someone gets in trouble, they then look for additional add-ons for multiple felony stacking.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a lot of figures on the amount of prosecutions reguarding the brady bill and its background checks, but it is impossible to find anything in association w/the AW ban. I know in NFA cases of unregistered weapons they can pin you on tax evasion for not paying the stamp fee. This is why the BATF, as a branch of the Department of the Treasury, is charged with the duty of regulating these firearms. I just thought that since the AW ban was a federal law that the NIJ or some agency of the sort might keep a record of prosecutions on the matter. And who, if anybody, would be charged with regulating these firearms? I know it may seem like a lot of questions but it is a veeeeery gray area and I can't find a single black or white answer and my great idea for a college report is really starting to suck.

Thanks  
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#8]
By having a lot of friends in law enforcement around the country(west coast-east coast-SW-SE) I can tell you that I have never heard of an individual being arrested just for this violation alone. I'm not saying it doesnt happen, just as stated earlier that it is usually "stacked" onto another violation. Most of the gun violations of course include the concealed violations, unregistered handguns and short barreled weapon violations. Best of luck on your research!
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 5:36:35 AM EDT
[#9]
The only thing I might suggest is that you contact BATF directly.  It is possible that they maintain some sort of file for this type of case.  I would be willing to bet that most local LEOs could care less about enforcing the AW regs, unless it came along in connection with some other offense and then it would just probably be treated as some sort of miscellaneous weapons violation.

Perhaps you should shift your research focus to the violent/weapon related offenses that have only INCREASED since the passing of the AW ban, and demonstrate its utter folly as a 'crime control' law.  That would be worthwhile research.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey TXAR, I too am interested in finding this information on the prosecutions for illigal configs of AW.  I have a preban Colt 6551 Gov.AR15A2 since '93 and I have yet to been asked if its a pre or postban by anybody.  Heck Ived had Sheriffs,Border Patrol and Highway Patrols at shooting events not asked me if its a pre or post.  All they would do is say "nice rifle,wish I could have one".  Also I have seen and know peaple that have weapons in various  somewhat illegal configs and they just go to shooting ranges and people notice them but dont seem to know enough about weapons to even suspect that its maybe an illegal configuraion. I hope that you can find this info so as to share it with me and this board.  This can be very valuable information to spread around to see the complete crap that the 94 crime law is.[:\]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top