Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2002 8:01:58 PM EDT
If I go through the process of getting a postban AR registered as a SBR can it have all the evil features? I have been led to believe that this is so in other posts. What do I have to do to get same registered as an SBR?
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#1]
No...

That only works for machineguns, not other NFA weapons....

So if you have a registered MG (or registered conversion), you can have all the 'evil' features... Also, there is no minimun length for a MG barrel. This is because being full-auto 'transforms' a gun from whatever it was (pistol,rifle,shotgun) into a machinegun, which is neither a pistol,rifle, or shotgun as far as the BATF is concerned... Since it is not one of the 3 weapons in the AW ban, or the 2 with length requirements, anything goes for MGs.

An SBR, however, is still a RIFLE, and thus still under the AWB...
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If I go through the process of getting a postban AR registered as a SBR can it have all the evil features? I have been led to believe that this is so in other posts. What do I have to do to get same registered as an SBR?
Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Still a semi auto Post-Ban when done, Just able to have a shorter barrel. Print the Form-1 here: [url]www.titleii.com/pdf/NewF1.pdf[/url], read it, then fill it out on-line, print 2, get your cleo, prints, pics, $200 making tax, and you can be the proud owner of an AR that can legally wear a shorter than 16" barrel.

See----gots to be pre-ban and tax to have the "can" though.
[img]www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=SBR&album_id=74005&image_id=17¶m=42849[/img]
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The 1994 AW Ban applies to Named Guns, Rifles (including SBRs), Handguns, and Shotguns (including SBSes)...

In general, the AW Ban does not apply to either MGs or AOWs. This is because a MG with Stock is not considered a rifle and also is not Semi-automatic. Also a MG w/o a stock is not Semi-Automatic. AOWs are by definition not Pistol or Revolvers. They are also not rifles as a Short Rifle would be an SBR. So, none of the evil features rules apply to MGs or AOWs. On a side note, the named Receiver rules still applies and you cannot legally make an AOW from an 80% Receiver and Mark it "Colt AR-15". In fact you cannot mark any gun "Colt AR-15" for that matter...as doing so would make the Receiver an SAAW.

There is another law for persons interested in imported guns such as the FAL, AK, HK, etc...This is 922(r). This is the requirement that guns imported or manufactered after 1989 must have a Thumbhole or 10 or less imported parts. After 1998, the thumbhole was deleted and all new ones must either be low-cap only or contain 10 or less imported parts...This rule is moot on an AR-15 as most AR-15s (with the exception of a Norinco or a few others which I haven't seen in the US anyways) are US Made.

922(r) AKA Parts Count for Imported Firearms does not apply to SBRs.

922(v) AKA the 1994 AW Ban does apply to SBRs.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, seemed to good to be true. Guess I'll have to keep buying prebans.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
What??? No post-ban looking SBR for you?
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What??? No post-ban looking SBR for you?
View Quote

Probably not. But probably a preban or two. Maybe a MG if I can find a receiver for the right price.
Now if I make a SBR it is the reciever that is registered and not the upper, correct?
Once an SBR, always an SBR????????
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Now if I make a SBR it is the reciever that is registered and not the upper, correct?
Once an SBR, always an SBR????????
View Quote

The serial #'d part (lower/firearm) is the registered part. If you choose at a later date to sell the rifle as a std "cash & carry" Title-1 gun, you can ask NFA to remove the # from register, wait for confirmation of that, and then sell as regular (non-SBR) lower. You will be out your $200 tax though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top