Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2002 9:03:28 AM EDT
Hi, I was looking to purchase and ar-15 here in Minnesota. We need an assault rifle purchase permit and you have to be 18 to acquire the permit as far as I understand. I turned 18 about a month ago and applied at my police station. They now denied me the permit because they don't think I should have one(and only the military needs them). Anybody familiar with the Minnesota laws? Far as I know I should be able to have an AR, since I have no criminal record and am of legal age. Denied of my freedom? Thanks

Link Posted: 9/12/2002 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#1]
[newbie] do yourself a favor and spell-check this immediately. You'll get better responses and less shit about the spelling that way.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you apply for a "Permit to Purchase" or "Permit to Carry"?  They are two different things with the same application...
I believe a permit to purchase is required to buy any handgun(scary) or assault rifle(evil), but if you are over 18 and not otherwise prohibited from owning firearms, it should be a "shall issue".  

Subd. 4.    Grounds for disqualification.  A
determination by the chief of police or sheriff that the
applicant is prohibited by section 624.713 from possessing a
pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon shall be
the only basis for refusal to grant a transferee permit.
View Quote

Check here for the full statute...
[url]http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stix/F/FI/firearms.html[/url]
Look under "Permits"...

Just curious, what city do you live in??

Also, FYI, even if you get your permit, you still have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a FFL.  [:)]
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, sorry about the spelling. I was looking to get a Permit to Purchase and I understood that it was the same paperwork. Do you mean my shall issue that they have to give it to me, as long as I have a clean record and am otherwise permitted to own a firearm, which I am.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Shall issue means they have to give you a reason for not granting it. Otherwise you have to show "Just Cause" a reason for having one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top