Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/12/2002 9:03:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2002 10:29:43 AM EDT by NitroChris]
Hi, I was looking to purchase and ar-15 here in Minnesota. We need an assault rifle purchase permit and you have to be 18 to acquire the permit as far as I understand. I turned 18 about a month ago and applied at my police station. They now denied me the permit because they don't think I should have one(and only the military needs them). Anybody familiar with the Minnesota laws? Far as I know I should be able to have an AR, since I have no criminal record and am of legal age. Denied of my freedom? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 9:09:15 AM EDT
[newbie] do yourself a favor and spell-check this immediately. You'll get better responses and less shit about the spelling that way.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 9:34:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2002 9:39:29 AM EDT by UncleJake]
Did you apply for a "Permit to Purchase" or "Permit to Carry"? They are two different things with the same application... I believe a permit to purchase is required to buy any handgun(scary) or assault rifle(evil), but if you are over 18 and not otherwise prohibited from owning firearms, it should be a "shall issue".
Subd. 4. Grounds for disqualification. A determination by the chief of police or sheriff that the applicant is prohibited by section 624.713 from possessing a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon shall be the only basis for refusal to grant a transferee permit.
View Quote
Check here for the full statute... [url]http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stix/F/FI/firearms.html[/url] Look under "Permits"... Just curious, what city do you live in?? Also, FYI, even if you get your permit, you still have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a FFL. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 10:20:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2002 10:30:36 AM EDT by NitroChris]
Yeah, sorry about the spelling. I was looking to get a Permit to Purchase and I understood that it was the same paperwork. Do you mean my shall issue that they have to give it to me, as long as I have a clean record and am otherwise permitted to own a firearm, which I am.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 2:41:53 PM EDT
Shall issue means they have to give you a reason for not granting it. Otherwise you have to show "Just Cause" a reason for having one.
Top Top