Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2002 8:42:06 AM EDT
Will they ever lift the Assault Rifle ban?  What are the chances that the law will change and we can build a assault rifle how we like?  

Does the current ban expire?

Just hoping!
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
this topic has already been beaten to death, but the law will expire, it is written into the law, but i do believe that there will be another, maybee worse set of restrictions waiting to be signed into law when it expires, now is the time to start writing your state reps, and congressmen to voice your opinion, maybee the new laws that surely will be ready when this one expires, can be stopped, or made less restrictive
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
When does it expire?  Hopefully while Bush is still in office.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The ban expires in sep of 2004, this is bush's re-election year so hope for the best, but I belive they will have a carbon copy ban to replace it that year, or even worse they might create a anti-terrorist assualt weapon ban!!! now that would be scarry, can you say bb gun only.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the info
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Everyone if we would like too see the AW of PRE-94, forget Bush, this is 2002 the year for election of the House of Reps and Senate. We need as many Pro-gun advocates as we can in both of them. So please go vote in November and if Congress cant agree on a bill that is identical between them,it will sunset.
The time is now!!!
Later,
Z
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#6]
The bans of, or cultural stigmatization of, AW's will not subside. It will only get worse.

I'd bet that a sizable percentage of gun owners don't even resist the notion of an outright ban on these weapons. Ever "overhear" one of those conversations directed at you by the bolt-action ageds next to you at the range? Even if gun owners were unanimously in favor of preserving AW's we'd still have to fight tooth and nail. And we're not unanimous. That doesn't improve our chances.

Count on Bush for salvation? Feh. He's a good man, but lacks the stones to veto the next (and most likely, worse) AW ban the left will offer him sometime in '03 or '04.

Gun control may be a sticky issue for the left at the moment, but the banning of "assault weapons" won't be. It the perfect, small but significant stride they can get away with. Sometimes I feel like the Black Rifle community is the canary put down in the mine.

In reality, my inner pessimist thinks we've already lost, and we actually lost years ago. The current generation of young people, indoctrinated fully on the matter, almost uniformly oppose civilian ownership of "assault weapons". And most firearms, for that matter. They just can't vote yet.

We're enjoying the momentum of a [i]past[/i] respect for freedom. That won't last much longer.

And a lot of it is my fault, or people like I used to be. But even though I think we'll lose, I do whatever I can to teach, argue with, convince or even shame the other side - if only to stall the inevitable. As I see it, an extra day not disarmed is an extra day free.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Hell no, it will only get worse. The NEXT ban, which will replace the current ban, will probably make it illegal to:

1. Make, for civillian use, any rifle or shotgun with a pistol grip. All new pistols will now by limited to 6 shots.

1a. All current post-bans will become the pre-bans. All current pre-bans will now become NFA and require shotloads of paperwork.

2. Unlawfull to possess hi-cap mags. (20,30+)

2a. No new weapons can have a visible magazine. The requirement to load 5 more shots is that it takes more than 30 seconds. This includes pistols.

3. All legal mags will be 5-shot, but you can use 10-shot 'pre-ban' mags.

4. BB guns over 120 fps will now be registered.

Folks, you're kidding yourself in thinking that the government, at this point in time, will let the ban die without tweaking it and enacting a new one.

Enjoy the new millenium.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#8]
so what happens when they do say, ok, no more ar's, register, or go to jail, then we will confiscate them.....

what will you do?
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
so what happens when they do say, ok, no more ar's, register, or go to jail, then we will confiscate them.....

what will you do?
View Quote

Um, it's more like "You have a terrorist weapon, give it up or go to jail and be executed, with no trial, for being a terrorist."

* Brought on by GWs new stance that they can execute terrorists on a whim.

Remember, these fuckers have YET to define the word "Terrorist".
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#10]
"Um, it's more like "You have a terrorist weapon, give it up or go to jail and be executed, with no trial, for being a terrorist."..That will include all box cutters,that have not been previously registered with the BATF.Get it? Boxcutters/Alcohal/Tabbaco/Firearms. Seriously,If you want it,get it.Who knows what the future will hold for gun owners.Looking back,I sure would have/should have bought more prebans and classIII's.just my opinion.

Link Posted: 8/22/2002 12:33:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

what will you do?
View Quote

we stick together.  we have guns (LOTS of guns)
they have guns... civil war2.  cold dead hands,  etc...
[50]             [heavy]
         [pistol]               [rocket]
[sniper]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#12]
The Boxcutter thing was really funny Zoomer.  And funny because it is true.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what will you do?
View Quote

Um, it's more like "You have a terrorist weapon, give it up or go to jail and be executed, with no trial, for being a terrorist."

* Brought on by GWs new stance that they can execute terrorists on a whim.

View Quote

That was a fake article.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top