Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2002 9:19:42 PM EDT
Do I have to pay an ffl to send a used lower out of state or can I just send it to the address on the other guys ffl? Thanks.
Scott
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#1]
*You* can't just send it to someone else in another state.  It must go through an FFL, i.e. the FFL is the middle man.  You don't "have" to pay for this, but most likely will because 99% of FFLs charge a fee for transfers.  You might pay anywhere from 5% to 15%, or possibly a flat fee.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the question was more along the lines of "Can I send a firearms out of state to an FFL, or does my dealer have to send the firearm for me?"

- I would like to know as well

Jonathan
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I know I can't just send it to the guy. My question is does it have to go from one ffl to another or can I just send it directly to an ffl in the destination state. Thanks.
Scott
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone can send a firearm(not NFA) or in your case a lower(same as is) to a FFL holder anywhere in the U.S. You have to send via UPS. ONLY A FFL holder can send a hangun via USPS(federal law) to another FFL. No legal way for a non ffl to send to a FFL holder via USPS.
Anyone can send a rifle or shotgun to its manufacturer for repair, customization, etc. via UPS and receive it back directly from the manufacturer via UPS WITHOUT going through a FFL holder. (NOTE* provided there is no local,city, state law prohibiting this!
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:45:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone can send a firearm(not NFA) or in your case a lower(same as is) to a FFL holder anywhere in the U.S. You have to send via UPS. ONLY A FFL holder can send a hangun via USPS(federal law) to another FFL. No legal way for a non ffl to send to a FFL holder via USPS.
Anyone can send a rifle or shotgun to its manufacturer for repair, customization, etc. via UPS and receive it back directly from the manufacturer via UPS WITHOUT going through a FFL holder. (NOTE* provided there is no local,city, state law prohibiting this!
View Quote

To clear up some of the above misquotes from above:

Anyone can send *ANY* firearm (including NFA/title 2 devices)to an FFL.  Title 2 (NFA/Class 3/what ever you want to call them) items must have the required form approved first.

Any non-pistol can be sent through USPS or other common carrier to FFL.  ***NOTE USPS CAN BE USED***

USPS will only allow FFL to FFL transfer of pistols and must fill out form 1508 to do so.  Priority mail is a commonly used method to mail pistols, as it is cheaper and gets their in 2-3@ days.

I hope this clears up the above.

mark

@ = most of the time...
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#7]
To clear up some of the above misquotes from above:

Anyone can send *ANY* firearm to an FFL.  Title 2 (NFA/Class 3/what ever you want to call them) items must have the required form approved first.

Any non-pistol can be sent through USPS or other common carrier to FFL.  ***NOTE USPS CAN BE USED***

USPS will only allow FFL to FFL transfer of pistols and must fill out form 1508 to do so.  Priority mail is a commonly used method to mail pistols, as it is cheaper and gets their in 2-3@ days.

I hope this clears up the above.

mark

@ = most of the time...
View Quote

You may well be right in everything that you say. I have not researched the law.......but....

I recently shipped a pistol by USPS to a gunsmith/FFL in another state. I informed the USPS what was inside the package and they informed me that it was not a problem according to postal regulations.

After repairs, the gunsmith in another state (NC), telephoned me to say that neither the USPS or [u]UPS[/u] would accept the pistol addressed to me (a non-FFL holder) and that I would have to contact an accepting FFL and send a copy of his FFL.

I contacted my local FFL who was willing to accomodate me on the transfer. He said that he was more than sure that it was not necessary for him to accept my own pistol being returned for repairs but that he would accomodate.

I coincidentally happened into the local postoffice and while there asked the local postmaster about the situation. She said it definitely was not a violation for the post office in NC to transport any firearm to the lawful owner from an entity where it had been sent for repair. She suggested that I call my gunsmith and tell him to call the BATF to discuss the matter with the offending post office. Of course, who wants to start that kind of trouble. I just wanted my pistol back and didn't want to piss off the smith who had already been to more trouble than he liked.

Again, I do not profess to have read the law or have first hand knowledge of it........Problem is, apparently a lot of other folks (who should) apparently don't either.

Like so many laws, they are so complicated that few understand them.

PigPen

Link Posted: 7/16/2002 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I recently shipped a pistol by USPS to a gunsmith/FFL in another state. I informed the USPS what was inside the package and they informed me that it was not a problem according to postal regulations.
View Quote

Whoops...  If you are not a licensed holder, then you are not supposed to use USPS to ship pistols.  You must use common carriers.

After repairs, the gunsmith in another state (NC), telephoned me to say that neither the USPS or [u]UPS[/u] would accept the pistol addressed to me (a non-FFL holder) and that I would have to contact an accepting FFL and send a copy of his FFL.
View Quote

That dealer needs to read the Q/A of the regulations.  He should know that you can always send a firearm back to the owner if gunsmithing occurred on the firearm.

It is surprising how many regulations dealers do not know and same with UPS, USPS, etc.

I have had UPS try to force what they think the regulations are and I just ask for a manager and ask them to show me where their "new" regulations are.  Of course they cannot find them and they send it on through with a little pressure that if they do not want to do what the regulations say, lets go to their manager.

mark
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I love the way Budam repeated in a nut shell exactly what i said!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I love the way Budam repeated in a nut shell exactly what i said!
View Quote

Well, my friend, if you think what you wrote and what I wrote are the same, I cannot do anything about that.

I will say that what you wrote and what I wrote have some major differences, as noted, when you compare the two messages.

Example:
Your sentance which says:

Anyone can send a firearm(not NFA) or in your case a lower(same as is) to a FFL holder anywhere in the U.S.
View Quote

It is wrong to say "(not NFA)".  NFA can be sent directly to ANY dealer.

No legal way for a non ffl to send to a FFL holder via USPS.
View Quote

Yikes.  This is not true.  A non-FFL can send anything BUT a handgun using USPS.  A long gun, machine gun, AOW, short barreled rifle, etc. are all shippable by a non-FFL to an FFL via USPS.

OK.  Enough, I will let everyone else pick the rest of it apart.

My best to you,
mark
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#11]
If you will look closely and see that the "no legal way a non ffl holder can send to a ffl holder via usps" follows and refers to the sentence preceding about handguns!!!
As far as the NFA I guess you got me on that one.....

Happy shooting....mike
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you will look closely and see that the "no legal way a non ffl holder can send to a ffl holder via usps" follows and refers to the sentence preceding about handguns!!!
View Quote

My mistake.  I read it differently - each sentance standing on its own.

Take care,
mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top