Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2001 5:31:03 PM EDT
A friend of mine and I are putting together an AR.  Neither of us could afford to do it by ourselves, so we're going in together.  The problem is that we borrowed a friend's pre-ban with collapsible stock to show our wives what we're doing.  Both were impressed with the look of the rifle and especially the sights.  It seems that they like knobs that click.  The problem is that both of our wives are under 5'.  When we pulled the stock out so that it's as long as ours is going to be when we finish, they couldn't reach the trigger.  The length of pull was too long by about 3".  Is there anything we can do about that on our AR?  I know we can't put a collapsible stock on the AR, but what sort of adjustable stock can we use?  It seems Stoner designed the AR for large soldiers, not their short wives.  In pursuit of our marital happiness, any legal solutions?
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Rock River Arms sells what they call a "tactical entry stock (i think)."  It looks like a short version of the A2 fixed stock.  This might be of some help, as it seems to be just a little longer than a fully retracted collapsable stock

OR...

ZM Weapons sells their "horizontal grip" which is kind of a hook thar exends back toward the stock and provides a hole to put your thumb through.  This item is not a pistol grip at all, so what you could do is replace the "evil" pistol grip with he horiz. grip, then add the "evil" collapsable stock. (you're allowed one "evil" feature, no matter what it is)
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses guys.

Troy, great point about the army teaching lots of men and women to shoot with the AR, but the length of pull is simply too long for both of our (short) wives.  It isn't a case of using a proper stance.  When I dry-fired my friend's pre-ban, I even moved the stock in about 1.5" from the maximum.

Thanks for the pointer to ZM Weapons.  Weird idea on the stock, to remove the pistol grip.  I guess you hold-up the rifle with your thumb.  According to one response from the BATF I've read, a thumbhole on an SKS was considered an "evil feature."  Strange interpretation of the law.  I'll have to mail (snail mail) a letter to the BATF to see if that'll consider it legal.

The RRA tactical stock looks like the leading solution now.  I'm waiting to hear back from them on how much shorter it is.
Link Posted: 4/5/2001 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as the ZM Horiz. grip is concerned, they should have BATF approval for it because they offer it as part of a post ban conversion kit to their LR-300 rifle WITH a folding stock.  On the other hand, it always helps to get some extra approval....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top