Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2002 11:57:06 AM EDT
I live in Virginia and have found a buyer for my Pre-ban Colt SP1 in New York. I will be visiting my parents in Pennsylvania over the 4th of July weekend and the buyer is interested in driving down and completing a private sale. I have not bought or sold any AR's in a few years and wanted to be sure that this transaction would not be breaking any laws that I am not aware of.
Please provide comments.
thanks,
Don.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a lawyer, etc.  You can't make this sale legally unless you ship to an FFL delaer in NY.

See ATF site

[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1[/url]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I live in Virginia and have found a buyer for my Pre-ban Colt SP1 in New York. I will be visiting my parents in Pennsylvania over the 4th of July weekend and the buyer is interested in driving down and completing a private sale. I have not bought or sold any AR's in a few years and wanted to be sure that this transaction would not be breaking any laws that I am not aware of.
Please provide comments.
thanks,
Don.
View Quote

AFAIK, sales/transactions can only take place between residents of contiguous states. if not,
a FFL has to handle the sale.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info, now....

Can I ship the AR to his FFL myself, or do I need a FFL in VA to ship it to his FFL?

what fun :-)

Link Posted: 6/20/2002 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8[/url]

Some FFLs do not believe that an individual can ship a rifle to an FFL.

The ATF faq is good source for info.

Link Posted: 6/20/2002 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
AFAIK, sales/transactions can only take place between residents of contiguous states. if not,
a FFL has to handle the sale.
View Quote

Not true.  It has to be the [b]same[/b] state.

[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b17[/url]

Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Please provide comments.
thanks,
Don.
View Quote

NYS allows the transfer of long guns in contiguous states.  Find a PA FFL to complete the transaction in person to the NYS resident.  Otherwise you'll have to ship the rifle to a FFL in NYS.  Federal law only allows for the private transfer of firearms between residents of the same state.

Long guns can be shipped to NY FFL's from a person but the NYSP are of the opinion that handguns can only be shipped FFL to FFL in NY.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top