Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/20/2002 11:57:06 AM EDT
I live in Virginia and have found a buyer for my Pre-ban Colt SP1 in New York. I will be visiting my parents in Pennsylvania over the 4th of July weekend and the buyer is interested in driving down and completing a private sale. I have not bought or sold any AR's in a few years and wanted to be sure that this transaction would not be breaking any laws that I am not aware of. Please provide comments. thanks, Don.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 12:12:17 PM EDT
Not a lawyer, etc. You can't make this sale legally unless you ship to an FFL delaer in NY. See ATF site [url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1[/url]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 12:17:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By drauden: I live in Virginia and have found a buyer for my Pre-ban Colt SP1 in New York. I will be visiting my parents in Pennsylvania over the 4th of July weekend and the buyer is interested in driving down and completing a private sale. I have not bought or sold any AR's in a few years and wanted to be sure that this transaction would not be breaking any laws that I am not aware of. Please provide comments. thanks, Don.
View Quote
AFAIK, sales/transactions can only take place between residents of contiguous states. if not, a FFL has to handle the sale.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 12:47:26 PM EDT
Thanks for the info, now.... Can I ship the AR to his FFL myself, or do I need a FFL in VA to ship it to his FFL? what fun :-)
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 1:13:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2002 1:14:06 PM EDT by entropy]
[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8[/url] Some FFLs do not believe that an individual can ship a rifle to an FFL. The ATF faq is good source for info.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 1:18:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JasonF: AFAIK, sales/transactions can only take place between residents of contiguous states. if not, a FFL has to handle the sale.
View Quote
Not true. It has to be the [b]same[/b] state. [url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b17[/url]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:37:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By drauden: I live in Virginia and have found a buyer for my Pre-ban Colt SP1 in New York. I will be visiting my parents in Pennsylvania over the 4th of July weekend and the buyer is interested in driving down and completing a private sale. I have not bought or sold any AR's in a few years and wanted to be sure that this transaction would not be breaking any laws that I am not aware of. Please provide comments. thanks, Don.
View Quote
NYS allows the transfer of long guns in contiguous states. Find a PA FFL to complete the transaction in person to the NYS resident. Otherwise you'll have to ship the rifle to a FFL in NYS. Federal law only allows for the private transfer of firearms between residents of the same state. Long guns can be shipped to NY FFL's from a person but the NYSP are of the opinion that handguns can only be shipped FFL to FFL in NY.
Top Top