Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2002 9:34:58 AM EDT
I am about to start building a post ban AR-15 pistol that has a fixed magazine. My question is can I register a lower receiver that was sold to me as a rifle receiver (but never assembled into a rifle) or do I have to buy a new receiver as a pistol. If I can register it as a pistol receiver what do I have to fill out.

Thanks
Chris Mills
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless there's handgun registration in your state (might just be in Mass....), then no registration is required for a home-built/assembled firearm.

You cannot build a pistol from a receiver if it's ever had a stock attached.  If you bought it as a stripped lower directly from the factory, that'd be OK.

If the lower was sold to you on the dealer's books as a "rifle", I'd personally play it safe and buy another stripped lower, direct from the mfg if possible, on which to build a pistol.

Since there's no federal requirement to "register" a firearm, you'll have to check with Mass. state police about any required registrations there, and the procedures to do so if registration is required.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 2:52:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am about to start building a post ban AR-15 pistol that has a fixed magazine. My question is can I register a lower receiver that was sold to me as a rifle receiver (but never assembled into a rifle) or do I have to buy a new receiver as a pistol. If I can register it as a pistol receiver what do I have to fill out.
View Quote

I have my doubts that you will be allowed to make an AR15 pistol in MA...  State rules created by the AG has some nasty regulations on pistols.

Sincerely,
Mark Buda
Triple Break Products
[email][email protected][/email]
[url]http://www.TripleBreakProducts.com[/url]
(603) 424-0923
FAX: (603) 429-0479
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 6:57:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Mark and Circuits for the info. The rules that the AG created only deal with selling pistols not possession or building. I will reread them again but I am preaty sure that is how they read.

Thanks again
Chris Mills
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am about to start building a post ban AR-15 pistol that has a fixed magazine. My question is can I register a lower receiver that was sold to me as a rifle receiver (but never assembled into a rifle) or do I have to buy a new receiver as a pistol.
View Quote

That's a good question as I've been wondering the same thing. Because of the outlandish AG and EOPS regs, I've been thinking about buying one of the 80% M-1911 frames from the Tannery Shop. The AR-15 pistol idea also crossed my mind.
If the receiver was never assembled into a rifle (was it ever registered in MA to begin with?) I would *think* you could reconfigure it any way you like (other than pre-ban) without any hassles... then again, this is Mass we're talking about and I'm not a lawyer.

As far as your subsequent comment regarding the possession/sale restrictions as defined by the AG's and EOPS regs, that's how I understand it also (hence the "roll my own" approach for the M-1911)[:D]

You might want to contact [URL=http://www.goal.org]GOAL[/URL] or the [URL=http://www.state.ma.us/chsb/frb.html] FRB[/URL] for further clarification.

Just one question myself? Why the fixed magazine? Did the bastards deny you a Class A LTC? Or is it the 50 oz limitation mentioned elsewhere in this thread?

If I can register it as a pistol receiver what do I have to fill out.
View Quote

FA-10. Your local PD should have them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#5]
JasonF - the 50oz limitation is one of the evil features for an 'assault pistol', but only applies to semi auto pistols which can take a detachable magazine.  Same thing for handguards, mag outside the pistol grip, threaded barrel for a flash suppressor or sound suppressor, or the flash suppressor/sound suppressor itself.

By going fixed mag, the pistol can have basically anything that it's legal to have on a pistol (no buttstock, of course).
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Linked from the "Build it Yourself" forum for more knowledgeable input.

[URL]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=124521[/URL]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top