Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2002 6:31:05 AM EDT
I know I can't sell an AR in Kalifornia, but what about selling an AR and hi caps from Kalifornia to another state, is this legal?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#1]
As I understand SB23, you can only sell your AR to a Caliban-licensed dealer with a Caliban "assault weapons license", or you can drive your AR out of state and sell to a dealer in another state.

As a practical matter, the Caliban regime probably doesn't care if you ship it out of state to a private buyer (through an out-of-state FFL) - as long as it's going out of state.

The magazines can be sold out of state to anyone, but you may or may not have to either take them out of state yourself in order to sell them, or ship them out through a Cali FFL with a 'high capacity magazine permit' if not taking them physically out of the state yourself first.

Troy probably knows more about the wierd rituals the Caliban will require of you.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know I can't sell an AR in Kalifornia, but what about selling an AR and hi caps from Kalifornia to another state, is this legal?
View Quote

Hi-caps are easy--ship them to your buyer, assuming your buyer's state allows them.

I'm on the reverse side of what you're doing...trying to buy 2 'aw's' from a prk resident after I get to Idaho in a couple of weeks.  DOJ last week gave me a couple of possibilities:  1.  Talk buyer into driving just into NV and doing the transaction there.  Her quote was "we don't care what you do out of state"; or 2.  have buyer ship to an ffl in buyer's state and have ffl transfer to buyer (that's federal law).  You'll need an original signed copy of ffl's license to be sure you're shipping it to a licensed dealer; ffl will mail you a copy without hassle.  Not going through a registered prk 'aw' dealer was in regard to the fact that there are no 'aw' dealers currently  on the SF peninsula.  You can ship UPS, but I'd recommend paying a little extra and using Fed-EX overnight; better service & tracing system.

DOJ lady was sympathetic as her husband has a number of 'aw's' and shoots hi-power.  Email me if you'd like her name and phone number.  I can also give you the number of the last 'aw' dealer in San Mateo county...no longer in business (imagine that) but happy to answer questions or give advice.

Once you dispose of your 'aw', make a notation on your registration paperwork stating that you disposed of the weapon & mail to doj.  You do not have to say to whom or where you sold it.

Finally, email me with what you would like to sell if you haven't already found a buyer.

-hanko
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top