Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/8/2002 9:16:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/8/2002 9:47:12 AM EDT by AR-fan]
I just read over in "Rimfire and Pistol Calibers" that a company says they just got ATF approval to manufacture a new 25 round .22lr insert magazine that will go inside a pre-ban standard 30 round .223/5.56 magazine. All they have to do is sell the original spring and follower along with the new mag setup. supposedly the .22lr magazine insert can be removed and the original spring and follower re-installed and the mag can now be used as originally designed. If this is lagitimate, would a copy of the ATF letter be needed to create another small caliber insert or would that letter only be good for that company's magazine insert. The reason I ask is, if only a copy of the letter is needed this could open up a whole new area for mags -- say replacements for the 30 round Cieners that are no longer available or 25 round mags for the USAF conversion units and GI M261 units.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:40:35 AM EDT
In general, BATF letters are basicly good for one thing - to let you know the current opinion of BATF on a particular matter. Letters are not law or regulation, and are not binding on BATF. They can provide a slight bit of cover for the person the letter is directed to on that specific issue only, but no one else. They do, as mentioned, let you know whats going on in the minds of the people at BATF who make the decisions. That said, if you want to try something similar with a defferent mag, write to BATF and get a letter yourself. It won't provide perfect cover, but its better than nothing and if things go badly, it will help. You can reference the prior letter (include a copy) and make an analogy of the two situations, but don't rely on a letter written to someone else, without getting one yourself.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 11:04:03 AM EDT
Thanks for the reply. I thought it looked a little too easy. Best I leave this one alone.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 11:21:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AR-fan: Thanks for the reply. I thought it looked a little too easy. Best I leave this one alone.
View Quote
Absolutely, do not leave it alone. Get a copy of the first letter and use it as a model to write one for yourself. Like I said, you can even reference the prior letter and include a copy. I'm not exactly sure how your idea works, or is analogous to the mag inserts, but its probably worth an hour or so writing a letter. The worst that can happen is BATF says "no".
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 6:44:41 AM EDT
Like shaggy said the letter isn't law. It might keep you out of jail when the BATF changes their mind and confiscates what you built.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:33:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/11/2002 5:37:44 AM EDT by AR-fan]
shaggy, I'm not a manufacturer but was hoping to spread the word around to people who are in that field. The original company that has gotten approval, or pending approval, is Lietner-Wise for their AR-15 rifle in .22lr. Their problem was having a design that people wanted but being so late with it that only 10 round mags were allowed. Their .22lr system is a proprietary design so could not use something like Ciener 30 rounders (no longer available) to operate. They seem to have hit on a good idea that might be useful to other manufacturers. Thanks for the replies. I don't feel like a crackpot now for jumping on this little item so quick.
Top Top