Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2002 7:13:43 AM EDT
My daughter is moving to California. What would she need to do, if anything, to legally possess a pistol in the state of California?

I guess I won't even think about giving her an AR to take along.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Try the Cal. DOJ site.  Lotsa info.

[url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#2]
So if my daughter takes her PPK\S to California she is a "handgun importer"?

What I got out of all of that is you have to fill out a form and pay $14 to "import" one handgun. Is that pretty much the short version?
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#3]
That's about the size of it.

As a "personal handgun importer" she must do an Operation of Law form within 60 days of bringing the Walther into Californistan.

[url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:02:51 AM EDT
[#4]
"California Penal Code section 12285(c)(7) requires that registered assault weapons may be transported only between specified locations and must be unloaded and in a locked container when tranported."

It only get worse.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Kid

Not trying to be picky but this would seem to be the form for a [b]NEW[/b] resident.

[url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf[/url]

The form you list would be for a current resident of California.

I think, maybe. [>:/]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Its a Son of a biatch to bring anything into PRK. To bring a pistol in, it has to be on the approved firearms list (which means the company paid to get it tested and approved by DOJ) and if it is allowed, then u still have to pay a fee and get it registered. As for long guns, you can bring any in as long as it is NOT an assault weapon under sb23, not the federal definition of assault weapons. No machine guns either (darn)
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...To bring a pistol in, it has to be on the approved firearms list (which means the company paid to get it tested and approved by DOJ) and if it is allowed, then u still have to pay a fee and get it registered....
View Quote

Not true for used handguns.  You can import your own handgun from another state as long as it isn't an "AW" and you pay the $14 within 60 days.  The List is for new guns offered for sale.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Uh, I don't see the Walther PPK\S on that very short list of approved pistols.

Is that list just for buying new pistols or does it apply to "importing" your personal property when you move into the state. The way I read it, you can't buy or sell it but you can own it.  [:O]

Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale:
[url]http://justice.hdcdojnet.state.ca.us/safeguns/safeguns_new.taf[/url]

[green]KID

Thanks for the confirmation. I have enough trouble trying to figure out what is legal in [b]this[/b] state.[/green]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Good Grief!

Maybe I should trade the Walther for something on the list in case everything else suddenly becomes illegal. I just happen to have some of the approved models in the safe.  [:)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Ah the hell with it tell her to just bring it and don't tell or they will put her on a list and charge fees up the yazoo, besides if she ever needs it it won't matter registered or not just better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I live in Cali and her gun is probabily on a list of no, no's and if you tell then they will know and then what ?  dispose of it ?  I think not

[50]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#12]
KEEP HER HOME...DO NOT GO INTO THE LIGHTS...
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, no kidding. This guy she has decided to marry works for a movie producer. At least he is from here originally and did not grow up in the twilight zone.  [whacko]

[green] No offense to all you good, helpful Kali people.[/green]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, no kidding. This guy she has decided to marry works for a movie producer. At least he is from here originally and did not grow up in the twilight zone.  [whacko]

[green] No offense to all you good, helpful Kali people.[/green]
View Quote

If Cali is the twilight zone, what do you people call Chicago? [:)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If Cali is the twilight zone, what do you people call Chicago? [:)]
View Quote

a black hole?

yeah but atleast in chicago u know whats not allowed NO HANDGUNS PERIOD!. were is in Komiefornia its a maze of ?'s on legality that changes as the wind blows
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 3:41:00 AM EDT
[#16]
a black hole?
View Quote

That is exactly what Chicago appears to be from here. It mostly sucks up money and common sense.
It just keeps getting bigger and more dangerous.
Maybe it will implode.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top