Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2002 7:14:42 PM EDT
If I carry my pistol in my car inside one of those little nylon carrying cases, is that unlawful concealment?  The reason I ask is that I'll have the pistol in the case, then carry it outside the car to my buddies house (so it doesnt get stolen) and then back again &c. I see no difference than carrying a rifle in a case, but maybe i'm mixing apples and oranges.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Just completed an Arizona CCW class last weekend and this topic was discussed. If it cannot be easily recognized as a firearm it is considered concealed. In other words if it can be mistaken for a purse, organizer case, laptop case, etc. it is considered concealed.  Even carrying it open on your hip can be considered concealed if a police officer approaches you from the opposite side because it is not visable upon initial observation/contact.  Best to be safe and get a CCW permit even if you don't plan on "concealing".  Also, makes transporting in vehicles less complicated and risky. Hope others with personal experience in AZ chime in.

/r,

Deucer01
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have seen the bogus LE arguments, "Duh, the side laying against the seat could not be seen and was therefore concealed."  Or some poor stupid gunowner scared into pleading guilty to a concealed weapon charge because the gun was in a case locked in the trunk.

Many states specifically define "concealed weapon" specifically as being concealed upon your person, that is, on your body, covered with clothing such that it is not visible, and further state that the pistol being in a holster, even if a flap type, on the belt, is not concealed... even if you cannot see the weapon, but only the holster.  Read YOUR state law here.  And never plead guilty to these bullshit charges.

Defining a weapon as concealed by being in a case makes you a lawbreaker.  Having a weapon in plain view exposes you to charges of "brandishing a weapon" if held in your hand, and not carried in a holster or case.  So, if both of these are true, then it is impossible for you to Keep and Bear Arms, as the Constitution says. It would be impossible to take a gun hunting, to the range, or simply carry it to your friends house.  The laws conflict.  This type of crap is makings for a good lawsuit at the very worst.

Lawyers here to comment?
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you mean a gun case and the gun is unloaded then I would say no, it is not a concealed weapon.

If you mean one of those nylon "fanny" packs then and the gun is loaded then it would be considered concealed.
View Quote

Arizona law does not distinguish between loaded or unloaded.  Cases must be easily identified as a gun case, clearly labled "gun" or holstered with grip or part of barrel exposed.

/r,

Deucer01
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
the case is designed for a pistol.  the shape is indicative of a pistol case but if i meet barney fife he could argue differently.  thanks for the input guys.  ill grab a white crayon and write GUN on both sides.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top