Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2002 5:50:04 PM EDT
Are silencers legal?  I mean, can a person get a license?  If so, what is the standard procedure on getting a license?
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#1]
No Liscense required, however, there is a $200.00 transfer tax that must be paid. They also (for the time being) require a Cheif Law Enforcement Offical endorse a letter, and you must submit fingerprints. Expect to wait several months after all is sent in before it is approved.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok thanks......
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Silencers don't exist. Suppressors, on the other hand, are fairly plentiful. [;)]

They're legal if your state says so, since states can prempt the fed on this matter. Also, in some states, you can bypass the CLEO by creating a corp. that you control (usually a not-for-profit set-up, unless you plan to do business with it, too). The catch is that you must maintain the corp., or return the cans upon dissolution of it. At that point, the only way to get them assigned directly to you is to get the CLEO sign-off. Depending on where you live (ie. How amenable your local LE authority is on this), it's either possible, or just a "wet dream", as they say.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, curiousity question.  If I have a concealed carry permit and a legal suppressor, can I carry a suppressed weapon as my carry weapon???

CH
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Okay, curiousity question.  If I have a concealed carry permit and a legal suppressor, can I carry a suppressed weapon as my carry weapon???

CH
View Quote

I'm gonna have to make me a phone call to find out this for myself. I just received my CCW two weeks ago. That question never came up in training.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends entirely on your state's laws.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:28:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Here in Indiana, it'd be legal.  Still a dumbass idea though...can you see trying to explain to a jury why you shot someone with a suppressed weapon?
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Why would you have to explain to a jury anything about your suppressor?  If you shot in self-defense you would never see a jury.  You must be charged with a crime before you go to trial.  If it is legal then it is legal.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#9]
It would look bad. It might be legal, but it would raise some eyebrows.

Headline:
"Man with silencer shoots teenager! Has assault weapons in home!"

When in reality all you did was shoot a gangbanger that was trying to kill you and the assault weapon is your AR-15.

Good luck in front of a grand jury. They might let it go to trial if the DA paints you as a gun nut out looking for blood.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#10]
It might raise some eyebrows.  You can use the same logic not to use your AR-15 for self defense because it is a "evil gun".

Unless the DA has some hidden agenda, he is not going to present a case that is false.  The DA wants a winning record.  He is not going to trial for cases that he knows he will lose.

If you live Massachusetts or some other political liberal area then maybe you might want to think about it.  I live in Texas.  I do not worry about political correctness when defending my property or myself.

The law is the law.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#11]
If it's in self defense, you can use a chainsaw to stop the person if so choose.  However, you must prepared for a lawsuit from a civil matter.  A good lawyer will show to a common jury of your peers that you were not simply protecting yourself but were a gun carrying nut.  It does not matter that you were justified or not in a civil case.  The best advise is to carry a non-modified weapon similar to that carried by your local law enforcement and shoot the same ammo as well.  Take it from a person who has been there.  You will be much further ahead.  Then again, if you want to believe that there is no difference between civil law and crimal law... look no furhter than OJ.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If it's in self defense, you can use a chainsaw to stop the person if so choose.  However, you must prepared for a lawsuit from a civil matter.  A good lawyer will show to a common jury of your peers that you were not simply protecting yourself but were a gun carrying nut.  It does not matter that you were justified or not in a civil case.  The best advise is to carry a non-modified weapon similar to that carried by your local law enforcement and shoot the same ammo as well.  Take it from a person who has been there.  You will be much further ahead.  Then again, if you want to believe that there is no difference between civil law and crimal law... look no furhter than OJ.
View Quote

In Texas, a jury of my peers would include some "gun nuts".  

If I am justified then what is the basis of the lawsuit?

How is OJ relevant?

Is there a real lawyer in the house?

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#14]
If you were forced to take a life in self defense, you probably wouldnt be worrying about how you did it at the time. You just saved your own life, and thats what matters. I wouldnt think twice on what gun I would use, as long as it did the job, and me and my family were safe. Granted not everyone carrys a CAN with them, but legal is legal.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't want to sound like a liberal gun grabber or anything like that, but what are you going to do with a silencer? It would be fun too have one and if there wasn't a $200 fee and a big pain in the ass I wouldn't mind having one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't want to sound like a liberal gun grabber or anything like that, but what are you going to do with a silencer? It would be fun too have one and if there wasn't a $200 fee and a big pain in the ass I wouldn't mind having one.
View Quote

What are you going to do with a AR-15? How about full auto?  [;D]

They are fun to have.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

In todays society full of anti-noise/ anti-gun attitude from city people buying rural property and not liking firearms, it is kind of a courtesy anymore to cut down the noise factor.
Sorta like "cover your @ss".

I have AWC MK9 for UZI since '98, and (2) .223 cans currently waiting on Form-4's as I write this.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

What are you saying?  Those two sentences don't  jive too well.  Sounds like money is your only obstacle, nothing more.  Do youself a favor, save your money and buy one.  I have three, one for my MAC (still "pending"), one for my AR (from STW- see [URL]www.stwibs.com[/URL]), and a suppressed 9mm upper from Coastal Gun.  They are fun as shit, aside from the hearing benefits.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:18:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Simple, when it comes to MG's, you can concentrate on firing/controlling the gun and not be hampered by the noise, especially in full auto on an M16 11.5" Commando - sounds like a 300WM.

I have a Gemtech M4-96D for my M16 and a Gemtech Talon-SD 9MM suppressed upper for my M16/9. Also have a Gemtech Hornet for my M16/22.

Makes ALL the difference. NO hearing protection needed - except for the other non-suppressed fellow shooters noise from their guns.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 4:07:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
especially in full auto on an M16 11.5" Commando - sounds like a 300WM.

View Quote

Are you worried about wear and tear on the can?  That's a lot of fire travelling through that thing.  I am asking because I am thinking about getting a commando upper for my M-16A1.  Just worried about my investment.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:11:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
especially in full auto on an M16 11.5" Commando - sounds like a 300WM.

View Quote

Are you worried about wear and tear on the can?  That's a lot of fire travelling through that thing.  I am asking because I am thinking about getting a commando upper for my M-16A1.  Just worried about my investment.
View Quote

I actually had Gemtech mount my bi-lock and on my Colt Commando upper (they will ONLY support factory Colt Commando 11.5" uppers for short-upper use with the M4-96D) and they stated they had plenty of people using the Colt shorty upper with the M4-96D. One of their demos even shows it using a shorty upper.

The only restriction is NO sub-sonic 5.56MM ammo. Too unstable at 11.5".  

Sure tames things down and makes MG shooting even more fun.

The Talon-SD upper in 9MM is a real blast. Sounds like a nail-gun with sub-sonic ammo and you can hear the thud of the bullets hitting the target.

The Hornet upper with target (sub-sonic) ammo is "Hollywood quiet".
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 7:02:58 AM EDT
[#22]
You are lucky to be born/live in KY. Our fair state of Iowa does not trust it's citizens with such things. Hell they don't even trust us here to hunt with rifles. We have to kill our deer with shotguns.

I would reccomend that you make the Mecca to Knob Creek shoot north of Ft. Knox.  There you will see the best and the worst that silencers makers have to offer.  See them all in one place, talk to the manufacturers and try and filter out some of the bullshit. They all seem to make the quietest/best silencer.

[url]http://www.machinegunshoot.com/[/url]

Link Posted: 3/27/2002 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

In Texas, a jury of my peers would include some "gun nuts".  

If I am justified then what is the basis of the lawsuit?

How is OJ relevant?

Is there a real lawyer in the house?

View Quote

[:K]

It'd be legal to roast someone with a flamethrower in self-defense, too... but you don't think that you'd be more likely to face some kind of charge than if you simply blasted him with a 12ga?

Please.  I own suppressors, and I'm not going to carry one for defense, even though I carry every day.

QS

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 12:25:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They also (for the time being) require a Cheif Law Enforcement Offical endorse a letter...
View Quote

AOW and suppresors do not require a CLEO sign off - all the rest do though.

mark
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 3:18:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They also (for the time being) require a Cheif Law Enforcement Offical endorse a letter...
View Quote

mark
View Quote

They require the same CLEO sign-off as ANY NFA weapon.

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

mark
View Quote

They require the same CLEO sign-off as ANY NFA weapon.

View Quote

Whoops - you are correct.  I was thinking about needing a 5320.20 not needing to be filled out for suppressors and AOW's.

Thanks for catching my misspoken words.

mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top