Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2002 6:28:01 AM EDT
I am in the process of buying an M16 on a from 4.  It will be July to August before I get it (form back from ATF).  I have a 10.5"/5.5" barrel flash suppressor upper that has a length of 16.25".  I want to cut off the flash suppressor and thread the barrel to use on my M16.  Can I cut this down now (at a different location, where my ARs are not stored) and make it into a 10" barrel?  I would store the upper at a friends house who has no guns.  Can I do this, or do I need to wait till the form 4 comes back?  I also have this same question on a full-auto carrier.  If it is bought and stored at a location with no guns, is this legal?  I just want to have this upper done when I am finally able to take possession of my rifle.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Impatience is an awful thing.  Wait until you have the forms in hand to do any cutting, then remember that 10 inch M16's require a lot of tuning to make them somewhat reliable.  They added the long suppressor to the XM177 series to make them more reliable, not to suppress the flash or sound better.  Same for the 14.5 inch barrel.  Reliability.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top