Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2002 11:45:50 AM EDT
Im going to be an Army boy here very soon. I will be taking my ASVAB test today (easy), and I plan to go Ranger.

So here's the question. Do all current gun laws apply to active military personel? Can I own things a civilian cant? Kind of like how LE officers can purchace hi-cap magazines, and LE rifles. Of course my issued M16 will be plenty, just wondering.

I cant wait for my enlistment bonus. Up to $20,000 to spend anyway I want. [:D] I doubt I'll get that much, but it'll be enough for a nice ACOG NSN, Surefire taclight, Aimpoint, Nightvision... ... drool...
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#1]
No special privileges for military personnel other than trading a measure of your freedom of choice in exchange for playing with the Uncle's fine and varied toys.  Just don't forget to duck when necessary.

Save the money for later.  Don't buy toys.  You'll regret it when you really need it for something important.  If you make it into the Rangers, you will have even more fun toys to play with at relatively little personal cost.

There were a few boys in the Marines.  The rest of us were [b]By God Marines![/b]  I suspect a similar sentiment exists in the Army.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I got an 87 on my ASVAP test. Pretty damn good considering a 30 passes, and you need only 50 to be eligible for an enlistment bonus. So I pretty much have my choice of MOS.

I figure since most of my living expenses will be taken care of, I'll be able to save a whole lot of money. So I probably use that to justify spending a good amount of the bonus. Probably no more than a few grand. [:)]

I cant wait till I get to play with a .50 caliber MG. I dont think anything could compare to THAT rush.

Thanks for the Nfo Dave
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I kind of enjoyed shooting the pair of fixed, forward-firing GAU-2A/B's at 4000 rounds per minute each.  Loud.  Fun.

As for your MOS, choose wisely.  Try to balance it between skills enhancement, future career choice and fun.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I cant wait for my enlistment bonus. Up to $20,000 to spend anyway I want.
View Quote

$20k for an [i]enlistment[/i] bonus?!?  Damn... I know of [i]re[/i]-enlisment bonus but not one just for enlisting.  Yeah, I knew guys who re-upped got a bit of cash and spent it all on a car.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Well if you want the 20k you got to go all the way. I think you have to enlist for 6 years, pick the right MOS (not bath & laundry expert) and let them choose your post. I doubt I'll enlist for 6 years, and I'd like to be based in the states if possible, so I doubt I'll get the full 20k.

As for MOS I'll probably go Airborne Infantry. This way if I ever leave the service, I'll have plenty of experience for LE or SWAT. That, and I wanna be one badass mofo. Yea, I shoulda joined the Marines for that, but Army benifits are better.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Yup.  To be a "bad ass mofo" you must go either USMC Recon or Navy SEAL.  All you get to be in the army is an abreviated "ass mofo".[;)]

All kidding aside, you get a nod of approval for doing the honorable thing and stepping up and placing yourself in a position to truely defend your country.

Reconsider the "stationed in the States" idea.  Seeing the world really is one of the benefits of service.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#7]
It's Army Soldier, Not boy.
(As in harmy soolger sir! see- Stripes the movie for the reference...)
You can get some really good training in the
Army if you get the right school. wouldn't be front line combat arms, But then you will have a marketable skill. I did the M.I. electronic training and was on various Tac teams where ever I ended up. kind of the best of both worlds
in some ways. If I hadn't gotten married was thinking of Cav scout as a new MOS... (The thought of getting paid to ride dirt bikes and shoot was almost too much!) Overseas postings are very educational, and will open your eyes to the rest of the world. (Just don't get drunk in the barracks all the time.)
You will get the bonus in at least 2 parts BTW..
Good luck and Thanks for thinking of serving.
we need smart young troops in these tough times.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to be a grunt with the 3rd Brigade, 3rd Infantry in Ft Benning, Ga. Just remember to Listen to you Drill Sgt and learn as much as possible while in basic, because after your ass will depend on it. That said, good luck and good choice in the Army. Theres a reason the Navy, Air Force and Marine Corp send thier troops to Ft Benning to be for all the good schools.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]
You can always identify which trainees were the Marines attending Army schools by looking at the class ranking after completion of the courses.  They are the ones at the top of the class. [;)]

Link Posted: 3/22/2002 3:51:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Good one Dave.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I was with 3rd 187th (101st Airborne, Airassault!) myself during Desert Shield/Storm.  

Be careful when you do sign up for your MOS...I didn't know any better and just enlisted as infrantry and they stuck me as a Mortar.  Hell, if I wanted to be in Artilary, I would have enlisted for it.  

Jump school was a hoot, you'll enjoy it.  And remember...Drill Sergeants are inherently deaf...scream every response to them.

Lane
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top