Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2002 2:27:14 PM EDT
Ok, I understand the rules on AR's pretty well. If it has a post-ban lower it's a post-ban no room for interpretation. However, the SKS is now considered a C&R thus it can come into the country and be transfered to a C&R holder without a FFL in between. What happens if you change it from it's configuration as imported. Does it have to comply with 89, 94, or both? Bottom line what can you do with one of these things? If anything. Lastly does it still get treated as a C&R if it transfered via an FFL and you don't hold a C&R license? Let the debate begin [>:/]
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, you're 1/2 right on the SKS.

Only the ATF can determine if a firearm will be listed as a C&R. And they have done so [b]ONLY[/b] for the European SKS's.

Because the Chinese models are so abundant they were not, and not likely to be, listed as a C&R. Therefore, the Chinese rifles are subject to all the various bans and regulations.

A C&R SKS can keep it's bayonet and grenade launcher and any other "evil" things because these rifle are imported in smaller numbers and are more sought after by "collectors" rather than just "anybody."
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
In addition to what JonnieGTyler said, anytime you make a big change to the configuration if a C&R firearm, it's no longer cosidered a C&R according to the ATF.  For instance, I'm in the middle of "sporterizing" a couple of cheapie Turk mausers and I wouldn't even try to pass them off as C&R eligible at this point.

Any C&R eligible firearm will remain so, no matter who it's sold to or how it is transferred, providing its configuration is not changed in such a way that the ATF would no longer deem it a C&R.  Sound confusing and vague?  Well, it is, but if in doubt, you can always ask the technology division at the ATF about the status of a particular weapon.  They are "supposed" to be the final word on legality issues.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#3]
A C&R license is a FFL.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For instance, I'm in the middle of "sporterizing" a couple of cheapie Turk mausers and I wouldn't even try to pass them off as C&R eligible at this point.
View Quote

So do you transfer them out of your bound book to yourself when the sporterizing is completed?

Also, aren't the Turk Mausers over 50 yrs old? If so, aren't they still considered C&R no matter what you do to them?

Patiently awaiting the arrival of my C&R so I'll ask another question.

You purchase a gun manufactured in 1953 in 2002, goes through an 07 FFL. In 2003 this is now a C&R gun, do you enter it into your bound book in 2003?
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
No need to transfer them from the bound book since they are still in my possession.  The ATF doesn't care what mods (as long as it's currently legal)I make to them unless I try to sell a significantly modified gun as a C&R later on.  Basically, a gun has to remain in its original configuration to remain classified as a C&R.

As to your second question, if you didn't originally purchase a gun using your C&R license, you don't need to enter it into your bound book.  In your example, the gun wasn't a C&R when purchased, so you wouldn't need to enter it in your book.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Tapperman- Don't you have anything useful to contribute. Obviously a C&R license is a Federal Firearms License. Common usage of FFL alone is understood to mean a dealer License. Seems everyone else could understand that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 12:24:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 3:56:45 AM EDT
[#8]
[qoute] Tapperman- Don't you have anything useful to contribute. Obviously a C&R license is a Federal Firearms License. [/quote]

I was just pointing it out because many people don't realize that it is a federal firearms license. Maybe I shouldn't reply when I'm sick and have had too much cold medications.[whacko]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top