Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2002 11:41:11 AM EDT
Just a few info only questions reguarding an argument with a buddy.

If you purchased (through FFL) a stripped lower after 2001 would this indeed be a legal purchase?

Is a stripped lower that was never assembled considered the same as a "completed rifle"?

Did it have to be or could it be registered after 2001 as an assult weapon?

If it's a no no to have, can you make it legal by converting it with a fixed 10-round mag? Like the FAB-10?

I hear that they will do it for you if you send them your stripped lower?  

Where can I find written legal info from DOJ on this toppic?

Thanks ahead for the info!  

If it's illegal to posses please don't give me the,"you'l be buba's soul mate in sing sing" lecture.  

Remember it's for info only.  You could argue about gun laws for days and never agree upon who is wright.  Some times even when you have the written law in front of some ones face :)

Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just a few info only questions reguarding an argument with a buddy.

If you purchased (through FFL) a stripped lower after 2001 would this indeed be a legal purchase?
View Quote

no

Is a stripped lower that was never assembled considered the same as a "completed rifle"?
View Quote

no

Did it have to be or could it be registered after 2001 as an assult weapon?
View Quote

stripped lower was required to be registerd before the deadline, if it was on the original or revised list.  can't be registered now.

If it's a no no to have, can you make it legal by converting it with a fixed 10-round mag? Like the FAB-10?
View Quote

Not if it's on the list - regardless of magazine capacity.  The FAB-10 is specifically NOT on the list, so is legal (for now).

I hear that they will do it for you if you send them your stripped lower?
View Quote

Still might not pass muster if it's marked as anything other than a FAB-10.

Where can I find written legal info from DOJ on this toppic?
View Quote

If it's not on their website, you'll probably have to write them a letter to get a written response.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry if I'm slow, but I don't get it.

If a stripped lower is not considered a "complete rifle," why is it considered an AW.

I had see stripped lowers sold after 2001.  The venders explained that the had no evil parts, so they were legal to purchase.  I wanted to get one but I didn't have the funds, maybe that was a good thing.  

What about the articles I have see about people cutting off the pistol grip or the grip that looks like a warped slug that replaced the pistol grip?   the above changes were suposed to make the rifle SB23 compliant?
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#3]
There are (at least) 3 different laws that affect an AW. The original Roberti-Roos, SB23, and the latest one that gives an exemption to LEO.

If you saw a stripped lower for sale in CA after 1/1/01 it had to be by a CA DOJ licensed AW dealer. There was a brief period in the beginning of 01 when it was still legal to get a AR or AK and register it. After that it would have been for sale only to LEO.

As far as an AR or AK goes, if it is named specifically on the R-R list then yes, in the eyes of CA a stripped reciever is considered the same as a complete firearm.

Like Circuts said, if it is on the list is doe not make any difference what features you remove or modify, it is still an AW.

Generally speaking an AR/AK falls under R-R not SB23. Except for those firearms named by R-R everything else is affected by SB23 and that is why you see stripped FAL and other receivers for sale. Until they have the offending features added as defined in SB23 they are considered a firearm, just not an AW.

You peruse through the CA DOJ firearms web site for more info.
[url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/[/url]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys,

I now fully understand the issues. I also found the DOJ notices.  You guys are right on the money.

I think it was BS to change or make an "add-on law" with out ample notice.  I wonder how much time given as to when the notice was issued to the dead line for leagal purchase.

I will call it a draw with my buddy, we were both about half right.  We will have to share the beer tab, hahaha.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top