Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2002 11:04:06 AM EDT
A man wielding a machete and a crowbar was shot to death by Minneapolis police officers Sunday after he refused to drop the weapons.

Police said the man, whom they did not identify, was shot "multiple times" on Chicago Avenue just north of Franklin Avenue shortly before 3 p.m.

Somali advocate addresses media near scene of shooting

RICHARD SENNOTT
STAR TRIBUNE
Police Chief Robert Olson said he was told that the man was waving the machete "in a threatening manner" and that several officers shot at the man at the same time.

Alawi Jeilani of Minneapolis identified the victim as his brother, Abu Jeilani, 27. "They killed an innocent person," he said. "He was mentally ill -- he didn't do anything."

Jeilani said his brother, who had a wife and two children, had been hospitalized recently for mental illness and was released about a month ago.

The shooting also angered many Somali residents who questioned the level of force that police used.

"I see this as an overutilization of police power. This is police brutality," said Amal Yusuf, executive director of the Somalian Women's Association, who was driving near the site when the shooting occurred.

"It was a long knife that he was holding in his hand," she said. "They could have used Mace."

Mayor R.T. Rybak said Sunday night that he will meet with Somali community leaders at noon today.

"We want to move quickly in situations like this," he said.

About 2 p.m., the man apparently left his home in the Cedar-Riverside neighborhood, about a mile from where the shooting took place.

Police spotted him a few blocks east of Chicago Avenue near Bloomington Avenue and trailed him for several blocks. Officers and people who knew the man tried to persuade him to put the weapons down.

Dendell Holley, who was among several people waiting for buses in the area, said the man was holding the machete down as he walked and was not threatening pedestrians.

Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#1]
He said the man hit a police car with the machete and officers jumped out. "They were telling him to put it down, put it down," Holley said. "It seemed like they just unloaded their guns on him."

Rybak said Sunday that he wants to find out what procedures police follow in dealing with mentally ill suspects.

More than 40 Minneapolis officers have been trained to respond to situations involving people with mental illnesses. They make up the city's Crisis Intervention Team, created last year after police shootings of three mentally ill people in 1999 and 2000.

Crisis team members, who have undergone about 40 hours of training, carry Taser guns as a nonlethal way to defuse a situation when police feel threatened. On Sunday, two team members attempted to subdue the man with stun guns before he was shot.

Holley said they used the stun guns on him without effect. "He fell and then he just got up," he said.

Olson said the officers involved will be placed on a three-day paid administrative leave while an investigation is underway. "On the surface, I've seen nothing that indicated officers didn't follow the procedure," the police chief said. "Our plans went right down the line -- by the book in fact. . . . Nothing was amiss."

Investigators said it's too early to tell how much of a role language barriers might have played in the incident. Also unclear is the severity of the man's mental illness.

"Anybody who is brandishing a machete and a crowbar in a public area needs to be taken seriously," said Roseann Campagnoli of the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office, which is handling the investigation.

Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Mace for a knife fight?
I don't think so.
Sounds like he wasn't cured.

He is now.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#3]
'A very good guy'

Friends and acquaintances said the man was known in the Cedar-Riverside area as someone who began having mental problems several months ago. They said he often was seen walking in the neighborhood.

"This guy was a very good guy," said Mohamed Ahmed, a friend and neighbor who saw the man about an hour before the shooting. "He just became sick. You can't be shot because you are sick. That is not the American way."

Rahma Ali, who knew the man, said she followed him the entire way from Cedar-Riverside on Sunday. She said she first saw him when they were in an elevator in the apartment building where he lived.

"He wasn't looking for anyone to cut," she said. Nevertheless, she tried to get him to drop the machete because she said it looked "so tall and so dangerous."

She said that during the walk to the Chicago-Franklin intersection, the man did not seem to acknowledge those around him.

"He just kept saying, 'Allahu akbar, Allahu akbar,' over and over again," she said. She and others at the scene translated that to mean "God is great."

Ali said that when police surrounded the man, he raised the machete and repeated the phrase once more before police shot him.

Olson said he doesn't blame people for being upset. "We have a lot of citizens who are very concerned, as right they should be," he said. "I would hope they hold back and wait until they find out what the truth is."

Jeilani, the victim's brother, said he plans to consult with a lawyer and may press charges.

-- Heron Marquez Estrada is at [email protected] . Kavita Kumar is at [email protected].

Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Nothing like inviting a little bit of Mogadishu into your country!

Won't be long now before we have a whole lot of Mogadishu in this country!

Maybe we can then all move to Somalia, since the native Somalians appear quite done with it!

Eric The(Don'tLikeOurWays?ThenWhereDoWeSendYourLuggage?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#5]
one less skinny?  maybe we should send the minneapolis pd over to finish these boys up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
one less skinny?  maybe we should send the minneapolis pd over to finish these boys up.
View Quote

blackhawk down 2, the sequel? [NI]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#7]
somali, did you say somali.....[50]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe I should sent the dept a Taser demo tape. They may be in the mood to buy some shortly.

[url]www.airtaser.com[/url]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#9]
"Investigators said it's too early to tell how much of a role language barriers might have played in the incident."

i don't know,
seems if i just whacked a cop car with a  machete and someone jumped out of the car with a gun and shouted something at me I didn’t understand I would drop the machete.

How do you say “drop the knife Mother #ucker” in skinny?  
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I just think it's funny how people can use the reasoning he was mentally ill and think that they can get off with anything.

First off the PD officers used the training that they where taught by using the Stun gun. Next the Crazy guy know how the cops where.

Because as witnesses Rahma Ali said "He wasn't looking for anyone to cut," Then Dendell Holley said "Man hit a police car with the machete and officers jumped out. "They were telling him to put it down, put it down,"

Well hell to me he was looking to hurt someone and that someone was PD officers.

If mentally ill people can take responsibility for there own actions than someone else must be it this guys wife or brother all of then new he was not well and needed help but did any of them take him in? No! Just more people just trying to pass the blame on to someone else and make it a racial issue now.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"This guy was a very good guy," said [red]Mohamed Ahmed[/red], a friend and neighbor who saw the man about an hour before the shooting. "He just became sick. You can't be shot because you are sick. That is not the American way."
View Quote

Hey Mohamed, nobody needs your silly skinny ass to tell us about the American way, understand?

Rahma Ali, who knew the man, said she followed him the entire way from Cedar-Riverside on Sunday. She said she first saw him when they were in an elevator in the apartment building where he lived.

"He wasn't looking for anyone to cut," she said. Nevertheless, she tried to get him to drop the machete because she said it looked "so tall and so dangerous."
View Quote

I'm glad Ms. Skinny Ali had the skinny on whether or not he was planning to cut anyone or bash anyone. The cops probably didn't have their secret skinny decoder rings on, I'll bet.

She said that during the walk to the Chicago-Franklin intersection, the man did not seem to acknowledge those around him.
View Quote

If he wouldn't acknowledge anyone around him, how the faaq did she know "he wasn't looking for anyone to cut?"

"He just kept saying, 'Allahu akbar, Allahu akbar,' over and over again," she said. She and others at the scene translated that to mean "God is great."
View Quote

[size=5][b]OH! What a relief![/b][/size=5] He was just saying "God is great" in Arabic. Well, people who say "Allahu Akbar" can be trusted not to hurt anyone, right? I mean, only people with the best of intentions would say such a thing, right? I mean, people wouldn't fly a plane into a building or drive a truckbomb into a building saying "Allahu akbar," would they?

[size=5][b]OF COURSE NOT![/b][/size=5] Silly policemen!
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:57:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 5:35:43 AM EDT
[#13]
"I see this as an overutilization of police power. This is police brutality," said Amal Yusuf, executive director of the Somalian Women's Association, who was driving near the site when the shooting occurred.

"It was a long knife that he was holding in his hand," she said. "They could have used Mace."
View Quote

Gee, Ms. Yusuf, you could have gotten out of your car and Maced him yourself.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#14]

I'm conducting an experiment now.

My hypothesis is that the body of a Black person (ESPECIALLY an African-native) shot by LEOs emits some form of alert pheromone that acts as a powerful attractant to the Jesse Jackasses and Al "Harpoon me now" Sharptons while the body of a  White man shot by LEOs releases a different pheromone that actually acts as a repellant for them.

Now, we have the Maryland man shot in the face by LEOs and now the Somali man also shot by LEOs.

Which one will Jesse and Al fly towards?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top