Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2002 2:22:39 PM EDT
Hey all- I am using a 16"bbl with a 1 in 12 twist rate, and shots will be 75 yards or less- probably about 25 yards or less.  I have a week to get ready for this thing- damn it's nice to get away.  
 I want to use three guns for this hunt: my previously mentioned AR, my Glock 27, and my Ruger P89.  

For the AR- I have some good 55gr fmj GI ammo that should be good, as well as some 45gr varmit loads.  I figured the later would be too light for hogs, so I am going with the 55gr.  I have some 62gr. green tips, but I know that the twist rate is too slow to stabilize the bullet past 100 yds.   Perhaps I will try anyway at 50 yards or less.    

For the Glock 27- either hot 155gr fmj, or 135 gr Corbon hollowpoints, maybe some 155gr remington hollowpoints (not Golden Saber).

For the Ruger P89- +P+ 124 gr. Fed'l Hydrashoks, maybe some standard pressure 115 gr. Winchester silvertips, for comparison.

The two pistols will be for shots at 15-20 yards or less, while my AR should take care of everything else.  Nothing but head and neck shots- I will post pics if successful, and let you guys know how these loads really perform on live medium.  Should be very telling- I am particularly interested to see the difference between the hot 9mm out of the longer (~5 in) bbl, compared with the hot .40 out of the subcompact bbl.      
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
how big are those hogs in florida?
if they are thing near the size and meaness of the ones in nw ar and sw mo,you had better bring some big bore backup.
we hunted with 357's and 44 mag's(pistols) but always had someone with a  12 ga. slug gun or 45-70 standing by to "help" out.
rescue92
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
For the AR- I have some good 55gr fmj GI ammo that should be good, as well as some 45gr varmit loads.  I figured the later would be too light for hogs, so I am going with the 55gr.  I have some 62gr. green tips, but I know that the twist rate is too slow to stabilize the bullet past 100 yds.   Perhaps I will try anyway at 50 yards or less.    
View Quote

62gr vs. 55gr should be indistiguishable for neck shots.  From what I understand, 62gr's fragment a little more easily than the 55's and tend to fragment at a slightly shallower depth (like an inch in ordnance gelatin).  I'd say save yourself some grief and just stick with the old tried-and-true 55's.

Quoted:
For the Glock 27- either hot 155gr fmj, or 135 gr Corbon hollowpoints, maybe some 155gr remington hollowpoints (not Golden Saber).
View Quote

For neck shots, I'd probably go with the Corbon's.  They're rather pricey, but I would want a "bomb" round for neck shots.  I think the FMJ's are probably your worst choice here.  I've used the 135gr Corbons in 10mm out of a G20 with great success on javalina, but hogs can be quite a bit bigger.  I had one round go through a shoulder and spinal column quartering and stop under the skin on the far side, nicely expanded.

Good luck, and be careful!  These guys are right, a big hog can ruin your day.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with rescue91,you may want to bring something with you that has some "punch" to it.We hunt them in Ms. and in south Ar. and we always bring something bigger.They are very pain tolerant.Oh,and be careful.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, and there will be a .270 and a 12ga on hand- just in case.  ;>)
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
any other suggestions/ requests for testing?
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#7]
btt
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#8]
As for the backup, I am not afraid to double tap (or triple, etc.) Mr. Hog, and would empty a 30rd mag at him in a heartbeat if I thought he was coming my way fast.  Between the four of us, all armed with at least one pistol and one long gun each, we should be just fine.  Have had some close encounters in the past, and seen dogs killed by hogs.  They are not to be screwed with, that's for sure.

Anyone else have any advice for load selection and/or shot placement?  I was  planning on aiming for the middle of where the head and neck meet.  Head shots are too tricky-I have personally head shot a downed hog with a .22mag- 3 times behind the ear, and another 3 between the eyes- there isn't a whole lot of brain matter compared to their head size.  They are much easier to drop with a neck shot.  You either break the spinal column, or do enough damage to the neck arteries to drop them very fast.  I can't wait to see what a .40 corbon would do on a neck shot...digital camera is coming out, boys and girls!    
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like you're in for a mess of fun.  I can't help but think that you're going in to "a gun armed with a knife" regarding your choice of arms.  I've hunted and killed 11 hogs in AR, AL and MS and I've always been amazed at how tough it can be to kill these suckers.  They can take an amazing amount of punishment and are more vindictive that a woman scorned.  While any of those calibers will certainly produce one-shot kills with a well place shot, hunting boars is NEVER a run-of-the-mill experience.  Having a lever 30/30 or better is well advised backup insurance and I certainly wouldn't hunt boars with anything less...
Best of luck & be careful
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't really see it that way- one AK, one AR, one .270, one 12ga.
 Two 9mm, One .40, and one .45
 Spread between four guys- I have hit a hog 4 times with a .270 before dropping her, and also dropped one with one shot of .22mag.  It's damned tricky, and every shot counts.  I believe that way too many people try for head shots, thinking hogs actually have something up there to hit!  I would be surprised if the actual brain was bigger than a peach.  

My account of the first hog I took:
shot one (attempted head shot at pig, slightly quartering away, at about 50 yds) hit low and left, destroyed lower jaw, really pissed off pig.
shot two (another attempted header) hit pig in the ass (oops) still running.
shot three (another try for the head) pig is hit in the head, but still running.
shot four (aimed for the front shoulder this time) hog is hit in the head/neck, and finally drops.  By now, hunter (me) is completely humbled in his shooting abilities.  

Since this experience, I have trained myself to only take broadside neck shots, and always from a braced position.  The .22 mag killed him just as dead as the .270, but there is always some degree of luck invovled.  I do agree that a larger caliber increases one's window of luck.  I just feel like a wuss, using a big bore to take out a hog at 35 yds.  Shot placement baby! (But still glad to have that big bore backup!)  
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I voted, "it can be done" because I've done it myself!
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I use a bow, its much more fun when you get up close and personal with them, gets the old hearts pumping. I would not even think of using a gun on one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here, and I've seen them fall to a lot less. Around these parts a 150 pounder is a baby and 250 is respectable. I had a friend get one while out deer hunting this year that was estimated at 600. I've seen a 500 pounder that had to be left where it fell because it was too big and the woods to thick to get it out.

I've also seen em run away after having their shoulder completely dissentigrated with a 30-06 round. We've even cleaned one before that had a piece of a bullet lodged in its forehead, from a previous hunter.

Sure they can kill ya, but so can the flu. Get out there and have fun! [:)]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Hell, I'm not worried about them hurting me- I'm worried about dropping them cleanly and quickly so I can have some smoked hog next week!  That being said, I have respect for these animals, and know how tough they can be.

600lbs?!!!?  My God that's incredible!  I'm not sure how big they get around here- I am hunting about 20 minutes south of St. Petersburg, and I don't know how big they grow em out here.  Anyone have any idea?  

If I could hit anything with my Moss. 500 loaded with slugs, I would hit them with the 12 ga.  I know I can shoot the hairs off a gnat's ass with my AR, so I figure I am better off with that.  I would hate to have a buddy shoot my hog with 00 buck- that would screw up too much meat.  I told them not to use the shotgun unless the hog is within 5 yards, coming at me.  Basically it's there for an emergency, but I would rather stab the damn thing than have to be bailed out by my hunting buddies.  Talk about never hearing the end of that story:  "yeah, he had an AR15 with a 30rd mag, and he couldn't kill a little 200lb hog..."      
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I have shot several with 22 LR's. Of course under ideal situations.
They'd come into the corrals at night in the fall to eat the fallen walnuts.
It worked for me[:D]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I may want a challenge, but I'm not crazy- the .22LR is staying home for this hunt.

I would love to bow hunt these suckers, but never have all the equipment I need.  

I am more interested in testing the different loads in these three calibers to see how they perform in the real world.  Penetration and expansion/fragmentation, as well as incapacitation time will be monitored unscientifically.
 I figure if the load will drop a 150lb hog, it would do well on a large 2 legged "animal," should I ever need it.      
 Gory pics will be shown, if the mods allow.  Actually, I have no idea how to post pics, so I will probably be emailing them to whoever asks for them.  What is the board policy if I do figure out how to post them?                      

Link Posted: 3/11/2002 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have shot several with 22 LR's. Of course under ideal situations.
They'd come into the corrals at night in the fall to eat the fallen walnuts.
It worked for me[:D]
View Quote

I had a friend that shot one last summer with a Marlin .22LR. He was out fishing in a big pond in his John boat and brought along a .22 to shoot any beavers if he saw them. Along comes a pig, one well placed shot in the ear and he brought home the BBQ for the weekend. [:)]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:    
 Gory pics will be shown, if the mods allow.  Actually, I have no idea how to post pics, so I will probably be emailing them to whoever asks for them.  What is the board policy if I do figure out how to post them?                      

View Quote

I don't think there are any rules against posting sucessful hunting pics. Assuming you get one and need help posting the pics let me know and I'll help you out or host and post them myself for all to see.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Dissipator:

I have killed Florida hog many times with .22 hornet, .223, scoped .308, 9 mm, and broadhead arrow with a 45 pound recurve.  It is truly one of my favorite hobbies and the 60#'s of sausage that I have in the freezer is a testament.  

Advice:  Keep the pistol handy.  I had a wounded boar turn on me at close range.  The Hydroshock that I put in his head saved MY bacon.

Have fun and let me know if you have any questions on specifics.

-White Horse

Edited to add:  I have told many people that I wanted to kill a hog with a rifle, that done, I killed one with bow/arrow, that done, I am working on killing one with a Cold Steel Javelin.  If I do that, I am sharpening my teeth!
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#20]
White horse,
you sound like one crazy SOB- I hear what you're saying about the sidearm, never leave home without it!  One question: would you rather have a Glock 27 or a Ruger P89?  I will probably carry the Glock, and give my buddy the Ruger.  

As soon as the hog is down hard, I will be drawing my Glock and approaching cautiously for the 'coup de grace,' right behind the ear.  I don't even touch them until I have a hollowpoint behind their ear and/or a broken neck.

Let me know if you ever get one with a spear- that would be awesome!  What part of FL do you hunt?  I have done most of my hog hunting in the S.FL (everglades), and the orlando area.  This will be my first time doing it on the west coat.  I believe the hogs are pretty small out here, and I would be surprised to see one bigger than 250#

I will be smoking one, and experimenting with the others- any good recipies in mind?  
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
 I will be smoking one, and experimenting with the others- any good recipies in mind?  
View Quote

I like to use a propane (water) smoker and about four whole pecans wrapped in aluminum foil with four tiny holes in it.

You can't go wrong with McCormick's "Meat Marinade", although plenty of other things will work just fine.  Their "Zesty Herb" is also pretty good.

For small cuts, you should probably use a foil pan to contain the juices.  Bigger skinned roasts like the ham probably should be wrapped in foil after 30 minutes or so.  That should give them enough time to soak up the smoke flavor without drying them out.

Then you're in for some gooood eatin'.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#23]
You mean you're actually use a GUN? Everyone knows that real men hunt hogs with pit bulls and spears!

Now I personally have never hunted hogs in my life, just haven't had the chance as of yet.

But I knew this guy who got to go on a hog hunt with some state troopers who hunted them with a small pack of pit bulls who would chase the hog down. Then the hunters run up and jab them with spears.

Pretty primal but man that sounds freaken awesome! Talk about an adrenaline rush. It seems dangerous, but then so does skydiving.

Like I said, I've never done it, but if there's anybody in Missouri who does this email me.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You mean you're actually use a GUN? Everyone knows that real men hunt hogs with pit bulls and spears!
View Quote

Wuss...  I thought real men rassle hogs and kill them with their bare hands!  [:D]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey Dissapater, That beter be a TROMIX upper on the AR your useing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Dissipator:

Am I crazy?!?!?  I am not a professional, and therefor not qualified to answer that question.  Sorry.  Just between you and me, I am everything but documented and guaranteed never to hold public office.

I carry a Beretta 92FS as the coup de gras and for close up work.  That boar sure turned the pucker factor up to 11!  Glock over Ruger any day.  That is about as close "foolproofing" your pistol.  

(with apologies to those who have heard this before on AR15.com)
My last close encounter was kinda cool in a way.  My first shot was a "fail to fire."  I had forgotten that I had un-chambered a round to go into town earlier.  I got up on the boar, boar turned, snorted, and tried to make a lunge.  I pulled my pistol, (shaking like a leaf now since I had to chase the thing a few hundred yards with my PSS)pointed it one handed, and...nothing!  Racked it and squeezed off the first round... a miss.  Remembered my training, thought "front sight" and plugged him over the right eye.

I prefer to use the .308 PSS to get that broadside neck shot you like.  Got my last three that weekend that way.  The boar was probably about 150-160, but his teeth were sharp enough to do me in quickly, I'm sure.

I hunt south of Lakeland on about 5000 plus acres.  Very beautiful and the ranchers don't like the hogs tearing up the pastures.

Recipes:  Gosh, we make so many things.  Hot and mild Italian sausage, Hot and Mild breakfast, and my personal favorite Chorizo.  We have a friend with a sausage machine.  Well worth the investment.  I cooked half of a juvenile in tinfoil in a bed of coals with Teriyaki and Pineapple slices for about 3 hours.  Very tasty.  Be sure to double up on the foil.

Peace. Out.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Was hog hunting in Tenn. a few years back , used a ruger .44 carbine  with tasco red dot. Ammo Win. 240 gr. HSP, he was running my first shot was to far back from the shoulder, he fliped out and got mad. Started to run at me, he then turned sidways, shot again hit him in the neck, he then went down quick. I dont think I would want to hunt them with any thing less, cause they flipout really bad when wounded. He now is mounted on the wall, the dogs hate him. He was about 240 lbs and was good eating.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#28]
here in tn we have russian boars and u better have some fire power. but my cousin i hunt with around live oak fl. he truns the dogs loose and waits for them to catch and kills the hog with his knife. no shit! i always take a winchester 94 trapper carbine in 44 mag. we cleaned one around 200 lbs that had 3 pellets of oo buck and what looked like a 30-30 slug in it from a long time ago. when ur neck deep in palmetto those hogs are hard to get a shot at.

good luck have fun.dont forget a change of underwear!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Well I prefer a good catch dog and a roll of tape or pair of handcuffs to shooting them. I 've never shot one out in the wild. We always liked to catch them alive and pen feed them for a month or so to sweeten up the meat. That's what makes good bar-b-que!
Just remember that if you go after a boar, make sure that you cut his cods off before it taints the meat.
To get bigger and better hog's, you have to come into the middle of the state. I'm not to far from where White_horse does his hunting, just a little east of Lakeland in Lake Alfred.
Oh, and by the way, those big Prussion Blue boar with the huge cutters aren't the one you have to be careful of. It's those damn skinny ass Piney Woods Rooter sows with piglets. Those are the meanest SOB's i've ever had to climb a tree from.
Let us know how your trip go's.

556mm
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#30]
yep thats the way we hunt them here in new zealand,good set of finder,bailer dogs,cold steel tanto or my trusty k bar,and a sks or 44mag for back up.u just can't beat the satisfaction of killing a 250lb pig with the knive,and if it gets to hairy then i always let them have one behind the ear.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:04:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Ever heard of a 12 guage shotgun with slugs?
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 6:23:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Hey ECS, remember when I said: "If I could hit anything with my Moss. 500 loaded with slugs, I would hit them with the 12 ga. I know I can shoot the hairs off a gnat's ass with my AR, so I figure I am better off with that."

Of course you don't.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 6:31:58 AM EDT
[#33]
At least you intend to eat the kill.

You're still crazy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#34]
 The excitement is building- the property owner called me this morning to tell me that some nice "eatin sized" hogs have staked out an area that we will be hunting at.  I can taste that smoked BBQ now...

I was having second thoughts about using my AR, so I think I'll go back to the range tonight just to make sure I am zeroed in for 50 yds., and get my confidence back.  Just bought some extra batteries for the digital camera and camcorder...hopefully it won't wind up on "When Animals Attack, Part 15"

Got my SOG all sharpened up to slit their throats and cut the nuts off.  Speaking of knives, the fella who owns the hunting land says he can skin and butcher a hog in less than 30 minutes.  I think that's pretty shit-hot, and hope to learn a thing or two from him.  It takes me anywhere from an hour to two hours to fully butcher a hog, so it will be interesting to watch this guy's techniques.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Speaking of knives, the fella who owns the hunting land says he can skin and butcher a hog in less than 30 minutes.
View Quote

I've seen some mexicans do it pretty fast, too, but they're messy.

This guy probably uses a chainsaw or something.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

We've had alot of fun hunting pigs with a .223 and a 9mm for backup----makes it interesting sometimes...but its a blast
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Glad to see I'm not the only crazy one!
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#38]
[pissed] Well, the let-down of the year (so far) has happened.  

The owner's girlfriend has this guy re-carpeting their damned house, which was supposed to be done by Fri night.  Apparently, when they put down carpet pad 12 years ago, they used an adhesive to make the pad stay put. WELL, this crap is harder to get off than Jenna Jamison, and the guy is seriously behind on the job.  

He was still working on it when I stopped by last night.  This sucks, since I won't be able to go back out there for at least 3-4 weeks.  Stupid wives, stupid carpet adhesive, grumble, hiss, rrrrrrrrrrrr.    [pissed]

I still hit the range today, simulating hog squeals as I hit the 9 and 10 ring with my AR.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2002 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#39]
There's some good hog hunting up North, I hear.

Haven't tried it yet - are dogs always used?

Reason I ask is my knee has been known to slow me down.

[Edited to get my threads straight!]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#40]
"You're F&*$ing Crazy" if you think that only hogs that are < 150 lbs are good for eating!!!

A MYTH!

Now - I'm not guaranteeing that a 500 lb hog will taste like a 100 lb hog, but I assure you that the taste of a "big pig" is far better than "acceptable".

Cure your own hams using Morton's (or other brands) curing salts.  Get them at the grocery store - very easy.  Delicious!!

Good luck!

Tate
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#41]
[s]Ooops - forgot - unless you're using a 1x12" twist barrel, you don't EVEN need to worry about 62 grainers being stabilized - the'll do absolutely fine.[/s]

duhhh...I can't read....you're using a 1x12"

I can also tell you from personal experience that they will drop hogs no problemo.  Head shots are best.  Don't have to chase em at all and no wasted meat.  Excellent damage and penetration.

Tate
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top