Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2002 7:40:33 PM EDT
I remember a post went up a few months ago about law school.  I'm one of those misguided souls that applied to law school this year, and I'm really getting screwed.  The economy is causing all the failed .com heads to apply to grad school to avoid the real world.

158 / 77th percentile, 3.39 BBA: Management from a state school

Thus far:

Admit:  Univ. of Oklahoma and Univ. of Richmond

Denied:  Univ. of Iowa, Univ. of Indiana-Bloomington, Arizona State University

Waitlist:  Univ. of Wisconsin, Univ. of Kentucky, Southern Methodist Univ.

Unknown:  College of William and Mary, Univ. of Arizona, Univ. of New Mexico, Univ. of Utah

I [b]REALLY[/b] want to go southwest.  It looks like it may be a no-go.  [:(]  Any advice from anyone?

Thanks,

Mike
[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Denied:  Arizona State University
View Quote

You should have murdered someone.  ASU has set a precedent of allowing a convicted murderer into their Law School.

Sorry - I can't help. I've only studied protozoa, fungi, bacteria and viruses - nothing nearly as low of a life form as lawyers. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a second year at Fordham Law, what kind of advice are you seeking?  As far as .coms coming to law school, I haven't seen any, other than the normal evening program professionals getting their JD.  

Sorry to say this, but if your 158 was only in the 77th percentile, then there were a lot of people that took the LSAT and did real well.  Any chance of throwing apps to Chicago schools?  I've heard they are responsive to WI applicants.  

I'm surprised about ASU, especially with your GPA/LSAT, it looks like you've got stiff competition this year.  Do you have any extra curricular activities or anything going?  Maybe a little late, but try to contact ASU and see if they can rereview your stuff, since that school is your best bet.

Throw one off to NY Law, its a good way to transfer to Fordham/NYU/Columbia after your first year, assuming your grades made the mark.  I gotta tell you, I hate law school, but its opening doors that you wouldn't believe.  Job market sucks though, you won't see the $2400/week summer internships that people brag about!
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:43:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:46:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Take it where you can get it, bud. You'll be working your ass off anyhow.
Be a little patient. Things may change some. If law school is anything like med school there are a ton of people from Kali who can't get into state schools and are looking elsewhere. This will likely put southwest schools in very high demand. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:01:15 AM EDT
[#5]
My sister went to Oklahoma City University and seems to be doing pretty well. A good friend of mine got accepted there as well but decided to go to San Diego. He had a 4.0 from Nebraska though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:56:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Take it where you can get it, bud. You'll be working your ass off anyhow.
Be a little patient. Things may change some. If law school is anything like med school there are a ton of people from Kali who can't get into state schools and are looking elsewhere. This will likely put southwest schools in very high demand. Good luck.
View Quote

Law school isn't a regional choice.  Med school is med school, law school determines where you go after graduation to a LARGE degree.

His choices should be and seem to be running along the lines of looking for the top rated school, which was ASU from his choices.  He really should have thrown some NYC firms on that list when he applied, especially NY Law, which would have taken him.  Easy school, well connected and able to transfer out to better NYC schools after the first year.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top