Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2002 7:47:53 AM EDT
Quoted:

SW629: Try calling them. E-mail is never a good way to conduct business, especially from some small gun shop. I hope it works out for you.

themao [chainsawkill]
View Quote

I disagree, I think email is the BEST way to conduct such business since it documents all communications, promises and pricing ... second choice, fax.

Like I said, if they don't intend to respond to email, they should not list an email address.

Posting an email address gives the customer the expectation that it is a chosen form of communication for the vendor.  If they cannot reliably handle the emails, they should simply remove the address and, ideally, post a statement in its place explaining that they are too busy to handle all of the mail ...

I have cancelled my order with them and bear no grudge ... I just will do business elsewhere ... lottsa vendors with the kind of merchandise they advertise.

I posted here originally because last week while doing a Google search for some equipment, it raised an thread related to this vendor ... something involving someone who received some mags that didn't work & he called the vendor who said to send them back with a copy of the receipt, but the fellow had lost the receipt.

I think it was one of the moderators who added some commentary about how this vendor was trying very hard to do a better job at the customer service aspect of the business.

THAT is the specific reason that I registered here and shared my experience.

"This Vendor", apparently, still has a ways to go.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, even when I do need/choose to use the phone when dealing with things like orders, I *always* immediately do a follow-up email detailing MY understanding of the points discussed.  That way, if they think I got something wrong, they can respond ...

Also, if they KNOW that everything is documented, the (hopefully) rare vendor who might be tempted to "act in an unprofessional manner" (how's THAT for PC ) will probably think twice ...

Documentation = CYA ... :-)
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I like using it for folks, my boss, who loses stuff and claims he never got it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm smaller than a small gunshop, I'm just a private Joe with a product to sell (FAL sizing rods) and you better believe I respond to my emails. Except for the rare message that gets scooped up by Hotmail's Junkmail filter, I save all correspondence at least a month after something has been delivered. And I always send out a message informing someone the exact day a product was shipped.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I love using e-mail for business. I wouldn't use Hotmail because of all the SPAM, important messages can get lost.

My Yahoo account works better, much less SPAM and better filter.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#6]
There are reasons that it can go both ways.  If one is not able to handle the amount of email 'rushing' in, the it can be a problem.  If one can handle, the it is fine.

But if someone is going to do business w/ you via email, I suggest getting a phone number for a secondary backup contact method.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm smaller than a small gunshop, I'm just a private Joe with a product to sell (FAL sizing rods) and you better believe I respond to my emails. Except for the rare message that gets scooped up by Hotmail's Junkmail filter, I save all correspondence at least a month after something has been delivered. And I always send out a message informing someone the exact day a product was shipped.
View Quote

I'm in the same boat. I've started up a small business selling misc. firearm related odds and ends and love using email. I've just been saving all of my correspondence indefinately. After a couple of months or so I just copy it to a new file and forget about it, but it will always be there if I ever need it and it doesn't take up [b]any[/b] physical space. If I ever forget something or a dispute arises I can always go back and look over the original docs.

Makes record keeping much easier. Some people are just old fashioned though and like doing stuff the traditional ways.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#8]
From reading the subject, I thought this thread was going to be about Kel-Tec, because that same statement was mentioned yesterday on the mailing list.  Their [email protected] address is a black hole.  They refuse to publish a price list for repair parts, won't answer e-mail, don't have a way of buying parts online, and don't have any parts distributors.  That makes it a little hard to fix one of their pistols.  Why publish an e-mail address and put it on your web site, if you're not going to check it?z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top