Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/9/2002 6:43:49 AM EDT
A.A.A.D.D. ! They have finally found a diagnosis for my condition. Hooray!! Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder... This is how it goes: I decide to wash the car; I start toward the garage and notice the mail on the table. Ok, I'm going to wash the car. But first I'm going to go through the mail. I lay the car keys down on the desk, discard the junk mail and I notice the trashcan is full. Ok, I'll just put the bills on my desk and take the trashcan out, but since I'm going to be near the mailbox anyway, I'll pay these few bills first. Now, where is my checkbook? Oops, there's only one check left. My extra checks are in my desk. Oh, there's the coke I was drinking. I'm going to look for those checks. But first I need to put my coke further away from the computer, oh maybe I'll pop it into the fridge to keep it cold for a while. I head towards the kitchen and my flowers catch my eye, they need some water. I set the coke on the counter and uh oh! There are my glasses. I was looking for them all morning! I'd better put them away first. I fill a container with water and head for the flower pots - - Aaaaaagh! Someone left the TV remote in the kitchen. We'll never think to look in the kitchen tonight when we want to watch television so I'd better put it backin the family room where it belongs. I splash some water into the pots and onto the floor, I throw the remote onto a soft cushion on the sofa and I head back down the hall trying to figure out what it was I was going to do? End of Day: The car isn't washed, the bills are unpaid, the coke is sitting on the kitchen counter, the flowers are half watered, the checkbook still only has one check in it and I can't seem to find my car keys! When I try to figure out how come nothing got done today, I'm baffled because I KNOW I WAS BUSY ALL DAY LONG!!! I realize this is a serious condition and I'll get help, BUT FIRST I think I'll check my e-mail... Damn if this just doesn't ring too true. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:00:11 AM EDT
Sounds like you need a COLD one!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:07:13 AM EDT
I'm intimately familiar with your condition. There's no cure but I have developed certain coping skills. I've taken to putting things in my pockets as reminders. I notice them later and it reminds me of what I was doing when I got distracted. I wander around the house collecting artefacts like a 3 dimensional to-do list. When my pockets are full, I start pulling things out and doing whatever they remind me of. Once I've emptied my pockets, I repeat the process. Problem is my pants keep falling down.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:11:28 AM EDT
Sounds like they just renamed the "but first" disease. I'm gonna go take a shower, but first I'll go pay the bills, but first I'll get myself a drink, but first let me clean the refridgerator, but first I'll defrost the steaks, but first I'll do the dishes...
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:20:26 AM EDT
I'm also familiar with this problem...now I know what to tell my wife the next time I'm accused of this condition
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:24:04 AM EDT
Maybe it's just a variant of the CRS syndrome? Might want to get a second opinion!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:41:13 AM EDT
That sounds like me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:57:58 AM EDT
dude, you should be on disability. Just send me your form.[:)]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:04:35 AM EDT
You might want to try some "medicinal" marijuana. -SS
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:06:22 AM EDT
The cure is an old one: Walk right past all that junk, pick up your AR and some ammo and head for the range. At the end of the day, the same things are still undone, but you'll know what you were doing all day. [:)]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:23:00 AM EDT
I was going to do something today.... not sure what it was..
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:50:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Norm_G: The cure is an old one: Walk right past all that junk, pick up your AR and some ammo and head for the range. At the end of the day, the same things are still undone, but you'll know what you were doing all day. [:)]
View Quote
I usually do something like that. Today it's a funshow. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:33:27 AM EDT
I truly feel you pain. Here's my coping mechanism and The words I live by. "Why do today what you can put off for tomorrow"
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:41:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:51:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Striker: What if you wrote down in a small notebook what you are going to do as soon as you decide to do it. Add to the list as you go and cross off things as you complete them. This will give you a "running" list of all the errands/jobs you were going to do each day.
View Quote
As one who was also recently diagnosed for the same thing, that just doesnt work. I MEAN to write stuff down, but before I do, I get distracted with something else. BTW, it doesnt seem to effect things that you want to do, only things that you have to do.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 10:45:07 AM EDT
The cure is simple: Get married or get a good girlfriend. Let HER deal with those chores. All you have to worry about is remembering where your keys are and to bring the shooting supplies you need in your range bag when you go to the range to go shooting. Make a list of the contents of that range bag, with quantities, and guess what? It's her job to keep that properly stocked, too! All you have to do is grab your rifle, your range bag, jump in the car, and GO! Oh, I'm going to get it now, I bet! [peep] I'll probably regret that....[grenade] CJ
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:01:54 AM EDT
Holy crap... that's me to a T! I didn't think my condition had a name, I just thought I was forgetful, or at least got sidetracked easily. Scary! Shit, I'm only 27! cmjohnson, you are absolutely right about the good girlfriend, she takes care of the details, I just load up the jeep and head to the range!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:13:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Phoenix2000: I'm intimately familiar with your condition. There's no cure but I have developed certain coping skills. I've taken to putting things in my pockets as reminders. I notice them later and it reminds me of what I was doing when I got distracted. I wander around the house collecting artefacts like a 3 dimensional to-do list. When my pockets are full, I start pulling things out and doing whatever they remind me of. Once I've emptied my pockets, I repeat the process. Problem is my pants keep falling down.
View Quote
I tried this and I kept washing my pants with all the crap in the pockets.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:17:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2002 1:18:58 PM EDT by White_horse]
My Father engages in a hobby my wife calls "Better Homes and Puttering." Sound familiar? Edited to correct that my wife coined the phrase. (Sitting correctly in my place now.)
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:30:38 PM EDT
Wow, an entire website of people with the same problem as me....
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:56:36 PM EDT
Hell, that's day to day normal routine for me. I've found that doing absolutely nothing for the entire day helps out quite a bit. [xx(] [xx(] ColtShorty GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
Top Top