Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2002 8:19:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 4:36:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Please make sure you sign the petition for Rick Rescola, the link to the petiton page is found at the bottom of the opening page of [url]www.weweresoldiers.net[/url]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 4:45:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent movie and book.
I've got the hardcover book, it has pics, they had the forward assist.
Also check out "THE BLACK RIFLE"
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:08:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Everything that I have heard about this movie is great.  I have got to get out and see it this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:26:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:57:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
God bless our veterans.
View Quote

I'll second that!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Just got home from seeing this AWESOME movie..ABSOLUTELY AWESOME...
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#8]
the movie sucked, the book was way better. The battle was disorganized and made little sense. A lot of the characters were not very memorable, and I only knew who is who because I read the book and knew exactly what happened. There was too much crap about the people at home, and they left out way too many scenes. Also, why did they leave out Landing Zone Albany?
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
the movie sucked, the book was way better. The battle was disorganized and made little sense. A lot of the characters were not very memorable, and I only knew who is who because I read the book and knew exactly what happened. There was too much crap about the people at home, and they left out way too many scenes. Also, why did they leave out Landing Zone Albany?
View Quote

I just walked in the door from seeing this.The theater where I saw it had printed out a bunch of stuff from [url]www.lzxray.com[/url] and made a big display in the lobby. They had drawn up maps of the three days with explanations of what was going on. I looked these over a bit before the show and it helped me sort out what was going on.

This is a pretty powerful movie. Before it started the theater was really rowdy with bunch of young guys yelling swear words at each other across the theater and throwing shit. Some guys near the front were cracking open beers at the beginning during the training part. Everyone quited down at the part with the speech before they shipped out. At the end of the movie there was total silence in the theater. No one moved until well after the credits had begun scrolling. Saw people, men and women, with teared up eyes leaving the theater.

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

They left out Albany because this was the story of Hal Moore and his men, not the story of the whole Ia Drang Valley campaign.  The characters were VERY memorable, and most were memorable precisely because they showed their connections to people at home.
The movie was excellent.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Do you think the "diversity" part of the speech before they shipped out was historically accurate?
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you think the "diversity" part of the speech before they shipped out was historically accurate?
View Quote

Haven't checked up on this, though I think it was totally appropriate--and NOT from the standpoint of trying to appease today's PC thinking.  I found it futher solidified their unity.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

They left out Albany because this was the story of Hal Moore and his men, not the story of the whole Ia Drang Valley campaign.  The characters were VERY memorable, and most were memorable precisely because they showed their connections to people at home.
The movie was excellent.
View Quote

must have been a different post, but someone else said that WWS blew away BHD as movies go.  i'd have to say i disagree strongly with this statement.  despite the larger number of players in BHD, i remember them far better and with more detail than i did the characters in WWS.  the connections to people at home only showed their humanness.  i don't think it helped me remember them any at all.

i too think the battle scene was portrayed in a very disorganized manner.  matt told me that the book is written such that the reader has a much better, clearer idea of what occurred than the movie allows.  i didn't feel this sense of chaos when watching BHD.

don't get me wrong.  i loved the movie.  and would definitely see it again and recommend it to anyone.  and for sure it is on our list of "buys".  but i don't think that it was on the same level as BHD.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw the movie yesterday. I went into this movie not knowing what it'd all be about. The trailors for the movie I've seen pretty much looked to me like it'd be some kind of love story with all the scenes of Mel Gibson hugging Madelene Stowe. I have to say this was a great movie. We need more men in our society like these portrayed in this movie and less femanized sissies like we see more and more of everyday. I would have been proud to serve with any of the charactors in this movie. CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The entire audience, save for one cold-hearted SOB, stayed seated until the names of the dead finished
View Quote

When the names of the dead rolled in my showing, a girl go up to move, she must have seen the look in my eye cause she sat back down.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I feel that it was a great movie. Just started the book this weekend. I was not a waste of time or money. Go see it!
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I will most likely wait for it to make it to cable or tape rental. When the medic got killed in SPR, I cried like baby, because it was so damn realistic, it brought back some hard memories. I'll watch this one alone.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Great Movie!

Not a person moved when the names appeared on the screen.  When people did start to leave no one was talking.

medcop
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#21]
My wife and I saw the movie last night. EXCELLENT!!

The movie hit close to home with my wife as her father served in Vietnam. The scenes when the soldiers were leaving their families to go fight were hard for her to watch.

She remembers her father leaving for Vietnam not knowing if he would return.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#22]
This link shows the history of the M16.  The A1 (with the forward assist) was adopted in Feb 1967, more than 1 year after the Nov 1965 battle.

It seems that the only way they could have had the forward assist in this battle is if they had prototype weapons.

Great movie.  It's so intense you forget to breath.

http://mwilson.hypermart.net/views/guns/m16.html
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Hi, Newbie here but been lurking for awhile

Got to agree with most of the above. Great movie!!

As one who was drafted in 1968, and trained as a medic, I still feel a bit guilty they sent me to Korea 7th div. infrantry and not 'Nam. (Remember the Pueblo incident?)Got real lucky from what my buddies say.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I saw the movie and I thought it was poorly done compared to BHD . A lot of Hollywood gun handling and dumb ass macho lines. Also, I don’t mean to be harsh but it was way too "American Apple Pie" for me. Although I did appreciate the name of the veterans at the end of the movie, they ran through too quickly. Unfortunately not many people stayed seated. I live in Canada, but I still thought they should have paid respect.

At least Mel Gibsons American accent was well done.    
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I saw the movie and I thought it was poorly done compared to BHD . A lot of Hollywood gun handling and dumb ass macho lines. Also, I don’t mean to be harsh but it was way too "American Apple Pie" for me.
View Quote

That's how they really talked dude.  
That first LT that died, he actually DID say "At least I died for my country."
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#26]
A great movie. I found the flow of the battle to be pretty understandable and have not even read the book. I think even if you had been there in real life following LTC Moore around, you still would not have had any better understanding of what was going on, that is just the nature of that kind of fighting.

Finally, the M16A1 was standardized in 1967, but the Air Cav was using the XM16E1 in 1965, and yes, it had a forward assist. This is shown in Galloway's photos, but is also well documented in The Black Rifle. Heck, it is even shown in my creaky old US Army ROTC small arms manual published in early 1966.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I can tell you first hand that the M16 did have F/A. The one that I was issued was marked Colt AR-15 (not M-16) had front push pin and no fence around mag release. I humped a many clicks (1000 meters)in the Ia Drang Valley after the big battle in Oct,65. I was with the 3rd Bde. 25th. Infantry. They replaced the Cav. after big battle. Col. Moore operated with the 25th for a short time until our leaders got they're feet wet. After that we operated with the Cav on several missions.
11Charlie March 66-May67
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top