Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2002 5:52:00 PM EDT
I don't know if there is a thread similar to this but I didn't want to search the 10 billion that already exist.  Any way I am watching History or Hollywood  and they are doing a review of We were soldiers and they showed a supposed M-16 and AK-47 with the history gurus. the M-16 looked like somebodys project gun and had an A2 style upper with a SP1 lower (no fence around the mag release) with Vietnam era butt,grip, and handgaurds[wako]. I didn't see if it had a bayonet lug or flash suppressor. To top it off the AK was one of those politically correct (read: gelding) single-stack mags[rolleyes]. I laughed a lot, and felt embarrassed for them. The historians and the vets thought that the movie was accurate so now I must go to the theater.[uzi]  
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The History Channel messes up quite a few things.

I saw the "We were Soldiers" send up. I'd take a '16 over an AK unless the '16 had proven unreliable. Lighter, more accurate, lighter and deadlier ammo, more controlable in full auto, etc. . . .
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The History Channel messes up quite a few things.
View Quote

They keep interviewing a fat sweaty-looking guy from the Aberdeen Ordnance Museum. He doesn't quite know what the hell he's talking about.

But he's an expert. [rolleyes]

Oh, yes. My memory is slow. Last time he said a flechette would go in your ankle and come out your pinky. It must be true.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to bring this up, I know this has long been argued, but the one guy said that mattel did produce the stocks for early M-16s, but I've read people just called them Mattels because they were "plastic riles".  I just doubted that guy, I mean, they'd pick an AK over a AR-15, whats to say they aint making stuff up as they go along???
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#4]
hey fuzz...that "fat sweaty guy" from APG is possibly the formost expert in the world on military small arms. he is highly respected and sought as a consultant by militaries, corporations, and historians all over the world. what he says may conflict with what you heard at the gun show from the guy in the "kill em all let god sort em out" T-shirt but im pretty sure he knows more than you. you have to consider the chopping and editing that goes on in the production of a TV show that surely places some comments in a different context then they were intended. tool.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sorry to bring this up, I know this has long been argued, but the one guy said that mattel did produce the stocks for early M-16s, but I've read people just called them Mattels because they were "plastic riles".  I just doubted that guy, I mean, they'd pick an AK over a AR-15, whats to say they aint making stuff up as they go along???
View Quote

Why doesnt somone just email Mattel and ask them if they ever made M16 parts? it would solve this arguement with a quickness. We could even have it tacked up so it is never brought up again![bounce]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
hey fuzz...that "fat sweaty guy" from APG is possibly the formost expert in the world on military small arms. he is highly respected and sought as a consultant by militaries, corporations, and historians all over the world. what he says may conflict with what you heard at the gun show from the guy in the "kill em all let god sort em out" T-shirt but im pretty sure he knows more than you. you have to consider the chopping and editing that goes on in the production of a TV show that surely places some comments in a different context then they were intended. tool.
View Quote

well said, sir.  i know of whom you refer.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I know how to settle this debate once and for all..

Line up 100 each of the AK and AR fans 300 yds apart, iron sights 1 rnd/person...  The side with the most number of members still standing..wins! [:)]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 4:59:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Line up 100 each of the AK and AR fans 300 yds apart, iron sights 1 rnd/person...  The side with the most number of members still standing..wins! [:)]
View Quote

With dirty rifles...in a sandstorm.

The choice is clear - M14! [:D]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. He's an EXPERT. So if he says up is down and back is white, he must be right. Or there is some other context where up IS down, and black IS white.

What is this guy's name then?
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

With dirty rifles...in a sandstorm.

The choice is clear - M14! [:D]
View Quote

LMAO! Well said!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]
The choice is clear - M14!
View Quote

Did you mean to say FAL??[;)]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#12]
are you talking about william atwater?
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I think I've seen Dr. Edward C. Ezell on TOG several times. Don't know if he's a fat sweaty guy or not, but if there were differences between what he said and what the weapon's designer/maker said, I'd take Dr. Ezell's word.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#14]
"Line up 100 each of the AK and AR fans 300 yds apart, iron sights 1 rnd/person... The side with the most number of members still standing..wins!"

Make ready...
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I think someone contacted Mattel and they said there was nothing to the story.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think someone contacted Mattel and they said there was nothing to the story.
View Quote

[img]http://www.mindspring.com/~steel_rat/mattelm16a1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:37:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. He's an EXPERT. So if he says up is down and back is white, he must be right. Or there is some other context where up IS down, and black IS white.

What is this guy's name then?
View Quote

his name is professor william atwater PhD., and he is the curator of the aberdeen proving grounds' firearms museum.
and yes, for some silly reason, i think he MIGHT know what he's talking about.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I believe his fleschette comment was done in jest.  It was a little [sarcasm]joke[/sarcasm].
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

his name is professor william atwater PhD., and he is the curator of the aberdeen proving grounds' firearms museum.
and yes, for some silly reason, i think he MIGHT know what he's talking about.
View Quote

Well, I knew he was curator at the APG museum. Thanks for the name, anyway.

Exactly WHAT is the reason you think he knows what he is talking about? Has he written some scholarly analytical books? Or designed significantly improved firearms? Or just wiped the dust off of what Browning did?

If he does know something, he has a strange way of puffing up and telling over-dramatized versions of the truth when placed before a TV camera.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I've met Bill Atwater many times. My dad golfs with him occasionally. Trust me - he KNOWS what he's talking about. He does have a dry sense of humor though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Steel_Rat
You're not helping [:D]

This was on Mattel letter head IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#22]
OH MY GOD.    QUICK, SOMEBODY SEND THAT PHOTO TO MATTEL.    [BOUNCE]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top