Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2002 12:48:30 PM EDT
I am thinking about getting a police job out of state, after I finish up college.  I am just starting my college now, but I was wondering what would be the best way to prepare for this.  It sounds like all of the colleges around here are focused on getting you qualified to be an officer in MN.  

Does anyone know the best way to prepare for a job in another state, if you do not have prior experience as a police officer?  Any answers or links are appreciated.  I havent been able to get many answers myself so I'm looking for some help.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Try your carrer guidance center on campus.  Colleges are always concerned about their job placement rates, as it speaks volumes about their academic fitness.  If they are unwilling to helkp you, then I'd speak with local LEO's.  Perhaps they can point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
www.officer.com
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I was certified in Ohio and Colorado, but lateraled to Arizona, which involves:

Tons of paperwork to fill out to see if your certification in the other state qualifies for AZ, [:(!]

A 7 multipart, multipule choice test based on the AZPOST academy criterium, as well as the months of studying before the tests, [thinking]

After I aced the tests, firearms qualification (2 pistols, shotgun, carbine: day and night shoots and discrimination shoots (fun house and FATS) all in one day: Too much fun, [heavy]

Pursuit and evasive driving course: way, way, way too much fun, [img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]

You have to already be certified in another state, and sometimes, the state you want to lateral to requires you to have been on the job for a certain period of time.

The agency you want to lateral to may have stricter lateraling requirements as well.

In a lot of cases, you're better off just going thru an academy in the state where you want to work.

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#4]
What's this... a member who actually wants to become a police officer and he hasn't been flamed!

The last few posts related to cops have essentially called all of us jack-booted gevernment thugs who kill everybody for fun and never get punished.  

[rolleyes]

Maybe there is hope yet!

Contact me privately and I'll be glad to point you in a few good directions.

Ryan
(Minneapolis P.D.)
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
You want you collage paid for? You can get on this PD easy [url]http://www.ci.anchorage.ak.us/apd [/url]

It's in Alaska but the pay is good. There is a lot of action also. You may also want to try New Orlens PD. Also try to get in to a county jail you will get experience and a lot of PD's like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top