Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/7/2002 5:40:53 PM EDT
How many ways are there to spell "Tomiko", "Chantel" or even "Saphylus" before brain damage and loss of any morals hits?

I think that is as good a theory as any for this sort of act.  Evil is evil, but these skanks...mom, daughter and all the neighbors who helped...bet there are no Susan's or Mary's in the bunch.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you talking about?
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Good point - I started getting confused in the "Name Game" when S-A-D-E got pronounced Shar-Day...

Whatever happened to Tom, Dick, and Harry?

FFZ
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#3]
That's funny.  I especially like the last name.  How comfortable would one be introducing to ones mom to that name?
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#4]
"Saphylus" - almost missed that one (need to turn my confusion tolerance down a bit...)

Remember Agent G.G. Jackson, ATF - from Unintended Consequences?  Given name - Ghonorrhea Gaily Jackson.  No-one I'd like to take home, thank you VERY much!

FFZ
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Worst name I ever heard bestowed on an innocent victim - their/her own child.

Lemonjello

Pronounced La mon ja lo.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Went through orientation at work with woman named "Cyneethia"

Saphylus. har.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lemonjello

Pronounced La mon ja lo.
View Quote

Zenith Quasar Crittenden.  Parkland Hospital Dallas.  1984.  Made the list for worst baby names the delivery nurses make every year.  I know...she's named for a television set.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#8]

how about Twatkeisha Fellatio Johnson?

actual name.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#9]
You are of course referring to ebonic names.

Antoinne, the French name, spelled ANTWAN

Yvonne, spelled correctly, but pronounced why-von-ee  (Parents saw it in a book, never heard it spoken...Northern Alabama white folks)

Keisha, Lakeisha, Lashwonda, Daishiki, and so on and so forth, ad nauseum.   Obviously made-up names that are supposed to sound like they're of African origin, but you won't find them in Africa, either.    I have a hard time keeping a straight face when I hear these names.

I sure would like it if all ethnic groups decided to get with the program and join whole-heartedly in the great American culture, rather than try to re-create the homeland culture without even having a clue of what it really was.   The Japanese (and all Asians) are great at becoming thoroughly Americanized quickly, and so are Hispanics, Middle Easterners, and all Europeans. Indians, too. I feel like I'm among AMERICANS when I'm among them.   Only one major ethnic group doesn't join in, or at least a lot of them don't, and they're missing out on the opportunities that come with it.   Their choice, I guess.  Not my monkey.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#11]
In the United States in the year 2000, the 670th most popular name for newborn boys was...

Baby.

Seriously! [url]http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/NOTES/note139/2000/top1000_of_2000.html[/url]

"Baby" finished only two places behind "Howard" and ahead of "Stuart", "Barry", "Winston", "Conrad", "Earl", "Clifford", "Jarvis", "Arnold", "Clark", "Ulysses", "Dwight", "Kelly", "Guy", "Elmer", "Duane", "Lloyd", and "Abner".

BTW, "Mohammed" was 517th -- ahead of "Harold" and "Dale".
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]
According to the above mentioned tables, 22,400 girls born in 2000 will answer to the name Nyasia...
Is it me, or does Nyasia sound like a disease? Kind of like something to do with swollen mucus glands or something, possibly an allergic reaction....? God knows you don't have to be smart to breed, so God, Help Us!
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I met a woman named Lovatryce.  Her nickname was pretty good - "Vate".

A friend of mine used to be a case worker for our county AFDC office.  She had a client who named here baby girl "Female" (pronounced feh-mah-lee).  The girl's mother was pretty trippy.  She said she knew who the father was, but that he'd returned to his homeland, China, after learning of the pregnancy.  She said his name was "Thing Deep".
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Keisha and Lakeisha I can buy.  I have a hard time calling a woman, any woman, Sekreisha.  It amazes me that there are many people that do not think about the name they give a child.  My wife and I spent considerable time reflecting about our boys names.  We settled on Quinn and Asher.  Not common, but certainly not too far out.      
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Only one major ethnic group doesn't join in, or at least a lot of them don't, and they're missing out on the opportunities that come with it.   Their choice, I guess.  Not my monkey.

CJ
View Quote

Maybe three weeks ago I caught two black civil rights activists being interviewed - James Meredith and Dick Gregory.  

Mr. Meredith's argument was to the point - "Blacks will not be successful in America until they learn to speak the English language."  Mr. Meredith went on to point out that all other ethnic groups - Italians, Poles, etc., - had set learning English as a priority.

Mr. Gregory stated that lack of success among blacks was everyone's fault but their own.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lemonjello

Pronounced La mon ja lo.
View Quote

Zenith Quasar Crittenden.  Parkland Hospital Dallas.  1984.  Made the list for worst baby names the delivery nurses make every year.  I know...she's named for a television set.
View Quote

Glad they had only two TV's.
[:D]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#17]
There is a young man in this city who's legal first namd is Swordsman. Spelled just like that. What were his parents thinking?
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry, double post.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I've heard the "lemonjello" and "Orangjello" thing too many times, I think its an Urban legend. Howabout "Shy-thay-ed." Spelled "Shithead." that may be a legend too
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#20]
ever see the saturday night live skit a about 5-10 years ago with the summer camp and they were calling names for the kids so the kids got on the right bus and all the kids had wacky ebonics names. funniest thing ever. wish I could remember the names, I just remember literally falling on the floor and rolling around laughing

or the skit where the parents are picking out baby names and the guy's last name is as-we-pay (asswipe)
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#21]
[url]http://www.snopes2.com/spoons/fracture/names.htm[/url]

part of the page

There was a Nosmo King, but it was a matter of a grown man adopting an unusual stage name, not of an infant being saddled with his mother's stupidity. H. Vernon Watson (b. 1886, d. 1949) was a well-known British music hall artist before World War I. In the early 1920's, Watson did a "blackface" bit under the fanciful name of Nosmo King. The routine went over so well that by 1925 Watson was billed as his onstage persona, Nosmo King.

Ima Hogg

Ima Hogg was real, but not her rumoured sister, Ura. Ima (b. 1882 d. 1975) was the daughter of James Steven Hogg, Governor of Texas.

Mark Lemongello

A pitcher for the Houston Astros in the 1970's.

Shanda Lear

Daughter of Bill and Moya Lear (of Lear Jet fame).

Trout Fishing in America

In April 1994 Peter Eastman Jr. changed his name to Trout Fishing In America. The 17-year-old from Santa Barbara figured it would be cool to name himself after a book he liked. Rumour has it he goes by "Trout".

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, we all should conform to the majority. It will make America a better place.

BTW, the majority of Americans do not own firearms, so go ahead and turn yours in.

After the cross burns out, and you take off your white sheets for the evening, of course.

Then we can start getting rid of the wops with their vowel-ending names.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#23]
How do parents come up with such stupid names?? Do they just take darts and throw them at a letter roster and as each dart hits they spell a name???
Quanesha, Laquanda, where will it end??

[smoke]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Retards. Everyone knows they use a Ouija board to make the names up. ;)

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've heard the "lemonjello" and "Orangjello" thing too many times, I think its an Urban legend. Howabout "Shy-thay-ed." Spelled "Shithead." that may be a legend too
View Quote

Lemonjello - FACT

I don't know what or even 'if' you think but my post stands.

Now if you want to get serious as to whether my post is truthful or not I'm game for a LARGE wager - something with at least four digits to the left of the decimal.

Now put it up or............
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I went to high school with a gal named Chiquita, you know, like the banana.

I thought that was cruel... what demon thought up 'Saphylus'?
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yes, we all should conform to the majority. It will make America a better place.

BTW, the majority of Americans do not own firearms, so go ahead and turn yours in.

After the cross burns out, and you take off your white sheets for the evening, of course.

Then we can start getting rid of the wops with their vowel-ending names.
View Quote

G. Thug,
Obviously I can only speak for myself but names like these handicap the child and then the adult for life.
Probably that shouldn't be the case but it is none the less.
Absent an IQ of 190+ I just don't see a person name "Zenith Quasar" being a future president of GM.
This life is hard enough without handicapping a child from birth.

I don't see names like these very often among the well educated in any racial or cultural group.

On a personal basis I resent your "crosses and white sheets" remark.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Lemonjello - FACT

Now if you want to get serious as to whether my post is truthful or not I'm game for a LARGE wager - something with at least four digits to the left of the decimal.

View Quote

Damn, Subsailor, what did this guy do to piss you off?  Little bitter today?  
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#29]
5subslr5 is right...my genius parents hung one awful name on me and I had to live with it while part of the Beaver & Wally generation.  It sucked.

Anyhow...this thread is on the ragged edge of sanity...I agree totally about the names...but I think its toast by morning.

Enjoy 'em while you got 'em boys!

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Lemonjello - FACT

View Quote

Damn, Subsailor, what did this guy do to piss you off?  Little bitter today?  
View Quote

Gunbert,
thought the statement could have been phrased as a question if he believed I was posting a legend as fact.  If I'm posting something I'm not sure about I try and qualify with ... I believe or ... To the best of my knowledge or some such qualifier.

Who knows ?  Perhaps he's a betting man !
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

G. Thug,
Obviously I can only speak for myself but names like these handicap the child and then the adult for life.
Absent an IQ of 190+ I just don't see a person name "Zenith Quasar" being a future president of GM.

I don't see names like these very often among the well educated in any racial or cultural group.

View Quote

I'm sorry, you're right. Being the president of GM or having a 190+ IQ is an obvious measure of a person's social value. Yes, being well educated is essential to being a contributing member of society.

As far as your taking personal offense, my comments were only directed towards those to whom it personally applied.

Perhaps I could send you a list of my family's names, and you could educate me as to what would be more acceptable to others. I'm sure you could find fault with some of them.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

G. Thug,

View Quote

I'm sorry, you're right. Being the president of GM or having a 190+ IQ is an obvious measure of a person's social value. Yes, being well educated is essential to being a contributing member of society.

As far as your taking personal offense, my comments were only directed towards those to whom it personally applied.

Perhaps I could send you a list of my family's names, and you could educate me as to what would be more acceptable to others. I'm sure you could find fault with some of them.  
View Quote

I'm not looking to find fault anywhere - much less in your family names.

I am trying to point out that names such as many listed will handicap that person for life.  Needlessly.

This is not as things should be but it is as things really are.  Most people with this type name early-on adopt a more acceptable nick-name indicating, to me, they're also not happy with the choice.

The "Lemonjello" name came up on the first day of school and the entire class laughed.  They shouldn't have laughed of course but they did.

My sympathy is with the child.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#34]
5subslr5,

Many names are made fun of by schoolchildren. Like mine, Chris. A common name, but you don't have to think too hard to find ways to make fun of it.

Same with some of my childhood friends' names. Danny. John. Michael. Gary.

That's grade school shit. You learn to deal with it, and move on to more important issues as you grow older.

Yes, names can be funny or out of the ordinary.

Who would go by the name Ronald when you could be known as Ron? Yet, I have the utmost respect for Ronald Reagan. And George, I mean really, who would name their kid George? He would obviously be called Georgie Porgie or some shit in grade school. Why handicap him with a moniker like that? Of course, our President's name has an obvious affect on his ability to do his job.

And don't get me started on Charlton. Is that even a real name? Come on, somebody made that up. Who'd ever amount to anything with a name like Charlton? Who'd listen to a guy with a name like that?

Yeah, them white guys make up some funny ass names.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
GovtThug and 5subslr5, you both have a point.  Did you two guys just get off on the wrong foot on this topic, or is it just Friday night?
View Quote

FRIDAY night ?

That's the prob. - thought it was Thursday.
[:D]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
GovtThug and 5subslr5, you both have a point.  Did you two guys just get off on the wrong foot on this topic, or is it just Friday night?
View Quote

Calm down, raf.

We both discharged violent initial volleys, now we're settling in for the tactical battle, and soon, we'll have some sort of peaceful accord. That's the way of war.

Of course, with a name like 5subslr5, I figure he must be a swabbie, and the battle will be short. Swabbies are good from a distance, but not well trained for close in work.

[(:)]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

raf,
on a more serious note you might look at my post regarding an interview I saw with James Meredith and Dick Gregory - page one.

I believe Mr. Meredith would strongly support my position while Mr. Gregory would support the "Government Thug's position."

I believe Mr. Meredith's position to be the more constructive.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Of course, with a name like 5subslr5, I figure he must be a swabbie, and the battle will be short. Swabbies are good from a distance, but not well trained for close in work.

[(:)]
View Quote

Us Swabs consider anything under 20,000 yards (nautical) as close-in !
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#39]
And therein lies your fault.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Lemonjello.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Having an unusual name doesn't have to be a serious handicap.  In fact, it can be very helpful if it helps someone stand out from the crowd.  

But I do think that parents who have a very "ethnic" sounding last name tend to handicap their children if they tack a similarly "ethnic" sounding first name onto it.  

Examples:

If your last name is "Von Wurstenburg", naming your son "Adolf" or "Otto" is going to give others the impression he just stepped off the boat.  If your last name is "Giuliani", naming your son "Rudolph" instead of "Luigi" or "Guido" might help him get ahead in politics. [;)]

But if your last name is "Smith", I'd hope that you would use a little creativity so people don't think your son, John, is using a fake name. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Chris. Chris piss. Christine (said to a guy).

Danny. Danny fanny.

John. You're a toilet! You're a potty!

Michael. Michelle (call a guy that).

Gary. Gary Fairy.

Very funny, very grade school.

Chris piss. AKA SFC, United States Army. Not the president of GM, but DAMN PROUD of what I do and who I am.

What's your name, 5subslr5?

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#44]
OK folks...out here on the plains of Texas strange names are legend.  Some are new and some go back a loooonng time.  We got Shorty Long that's not a nickname.  But my favorite is T9C Miller.  Named because he was a tiny premature infant.  T9C, by the way, grew up to be one large dude.  A white boy so big you can pass a quarter through his ring.  I got a list of names and nicknames two columns long so good I copyrighted it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I hate the break up the party but two and a half years ago my wife and I named our twins Tiffany and Jared, sorry if we are too boring...
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Something,just,went,very,wrong,with,my,keyboard.I,have,no,spacebar.I,think,i'm,done,for,the,night.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#47]
5subslr5 -
isn't it odd that Mr. Gregory is/was a comedian? Kinda like his attitude?
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#48]
It was a little girls first day in school and all the students had to stand up and give their names.  So, this new girl stands up and says, "My name is Snotty Nose Jones".

The teacher looks at her wondering if the child is a might bit weird.  "What's your name dear?" she asks the new girl.

"Snotty Nose Jones" she replies.

The teacher by now is pissed and says, "I'm going to ask you just one more time and if you say the same thing again, you're going home and will have to bring your parents to school....Now what's your name?"

The little girl stomps once and says, "Snotty Nose Jones".

"Get out of here and bring back your parents!", the teacher says.

As the little girl leaves, she grabs her younger brothers hand and says, "C'mon Shitass, she won't believe you either."
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Govt Thug, kids will be kids, but a made up ethnic name will haunt a person for life.

Like it or not, we are all prejudiced to varying degrees.

Anyone is welcome to name their children whatever they want, but one must realize the consequences of such decisions.

Many people in prominent positions are greatly prejudiced, despite their responsibilities.

When little Chaniqua grows up and submits her application to Company X, and the Personnel Manager responsible for hiring decides to deep six the resume after seeing the name, she will be the one who pays for her parents' decision.  He is a small person, and the company may lose a quality employee, but the child pays for the name.  Same with a loan app, or a credit card request.

Kind of like the boy named "Sue", in the Johnny Cash song.  Unusual names may carry social stigmas or other unintended impacts.

Life and growing up is hard enough without being saddled with an unusual name, whether it is Adolph or LaShondra.  We are free to name our kids whatever we want, but they may have to live with the consequences.

Does this mean I have to get a cross and some white sheets now?
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Chastity Bono
Dweezil Zappa
Moon Unit Zappa
Rip Torn
Dick Butkis

Probably a thousand others I can't dredge up right this moment.   Even famous people get saddled with some odd names.
I've got a young cousin that his parents named Ronin, which in Japanese, is a term for a Samurai with no master.  A.K.A., soldier of fortune, sort of.

Names that get funny when seen by people in other countries:

Irina SLUTskaya (REAL)
Long Duk Dong
Fuk Mi
Han Don Wang
(Many others)
Ivana Humpalot (nod to Austin Powers...)

Possibly mythical names:
Hugh. G. Rection
I.P. Freely
Heywood Jablowme
Ben Dover

These are no worse than the worst real names I've heard of.

Real names that Might have been:

Ivana Trump gets divorced, marries Neil Diamond:

Ivana Diamond

Ivana Diamond gets divorced, remains on friendly terms with ex, marries Jack Nicklaus:

Ivana Diamond Nicklaus

Harold, son of Chinese immigrants:
Harry Wang

But, being saddled with a name that is a derivative of a common word, and would be interpreted as stupid or funny by a significant percentage of the populace, is nothing short of cruel.

CJ

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top