Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Open Hedders...aaaahhhhh.
View Quote

...and Tri-Power sucking air between 2nd and 3rd through the M-22, with that satisfying sideways 'ert' when the Posi hooks up???
You mean THAT open headers sound??
Yeah!
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The sound of my fiance gobbling my knob... Uuhhh, did I say that out loud? [0:)]

BrenLover
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The sound of a burp after a good meal.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#4]
A good band, live, any will do.

Anything that revs over 10,000 RPM.

Anything with a turbo on it.

The slide slamming shut on my M1A.

The seemingly long delay between the firing of the rifle, and the "plang" on the silhouette at 500 meters.

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The cry of a child just born.

--which I recently experienced-again.

357mag
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#7]

To crush your enemy. See him driven before you. Hear the lamentation of the women.
View Quote

I knew this was comming, I thought about it myself.

YOUR DEAD! AM NOT! YES YOU ARE! ARE NOT! ARE TOO! ARE NOT!! YES YOU ARE!...........

The feeling of weightlessness when you jump your bike over a curp and go sailing through the air over the patch of pungi sticks you and your friends made as , "THE TEST"... The is one irrefutable evidence that god exists.  Children survive their own mischiefness.

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Most all night sounds in the desert.
The call of a peacock on a quiet night.
The pipes on a foggy morning is also very good.
The echo of a rifle shot on a quiet night.
The crack of a close lightning strike and the rumble of thunder from far off.

Quoted:
My wife saying "You're right honey, you do need another gun!"
View Quote

This is one of those wonderful sounds that I will most likely never hear. [:(]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Six bean burritos with extra sauce and extra cheese.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 12:32:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The first thing that came into my mind is Colorado.

-The feeling I get when there's nothing I can hear except the reel of my fly rod and the Animas (North of Durango a bit).

-The sound of the Jeep going up Black Bear Pass (Ouray/Telluride).

-The Waterfalls...

-The "creaking sound" of my hammock.

-The sounds just after a huge snow...the snow falling off the trees, the stillness.
View Quote

Sounds good, remind me to ask you about things to do out here one day....

For me it's:

- the sound of my 8 month old daughter laughing.

- the sound of any airplane engine as starts up, and later as it winds up to takeoff power.

-the first few bars of "Born to Run" or "Thunder Road"

-The sound of my boss telling me I'm getting a raise I didn't even ask for.
(it actually happened today!!!!!)

-The stillness of a cold crisp October evening.

-The Ocean at night.

-Thunderstorms.

-crackling campfire

-crackling Gunfire

-"Hi honey" when I get home.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:18:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:19:28 AM EDT
[#13]
[b][red][size=2]Star Spangled Banner[/b][/red][/size=2]

The sound of forest coming awake as the sun rises in the morning while you are sitting peacefully beneath a tree.  What destroys this sound is when the shots start going off in the distance.  I am not saying I don’t enjoy hunting, but that first few minutes before the shooting starts are just pure joy to me.

MedCop
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:15:08 AM EDT
[#14]
My kids laughing...ocean waves breaking...elk bugling...rolling thunder.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 6:05:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Distant thunder.....Rain falling on leaves.....my kid and my wife laughing.....and Vivaldi the Four Seasons.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 6:08:42 AM EDT
[#16]
The sound of 33 screaming Indy Cars rounding turn one on the first lap of the Indy 500.

My daughter Emily singing "Shine, Jesus Shine" in the shower.

The sound of her kissing the phone when saying goodbye after calling me at work to just to say "I love you daddy".

The first shot heard on opening morning of deer season.  The anticipation it brings, knowing [b]your[/b] chance could come at any moment.

The sound a broadhead makes when it strikes a Whitetail buck.  Never heard anything like it...

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#17]
The sound of a Walker Colt loaded with a 250 grain wadcutter and 40 grains of FFFg. Black powder sounds so different from smokeless.

The sound of a .500 Linebaugh, loaded heavy. Quantity has a quality all its own.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Benjamin0001, you made me wistful.  Thanks!

Whippoorwills.  
View Quote

that sound deserves to ahve its maker shot with an AR15, unfortunaly i can never find the SOBs to shoot them! wake me up at 5 in the damn morning.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Uhhhh.....I like the sound of your unit forcing all the air out of the docking station.  Is that wierd?  Is that sufficiently obscure for a family forum?  

5150's are OK, but ever since the early 80's Peavey experience, to me Peavey is just "the P word" (said with look of disgust).  

Marshall = very good.   But, you can't beat a properly set up Mesa Boogie with a neck through fixed bridge guitar and a thumping player!  Marshall has some less than stellar stuff, but all Mesa is top notch.

The sound of your kick in a 50,000 watt PA when the FOH guy brings up the fader during soundcheck, with plastic beaters, a Shure Beta 91 in the drum and Beta 52 on the batter head.

Mornings in the woods are special.  Being out in the boonies in the middle of the night, all alone, during a snowfall ranks up there.  How about having the first cup of joe, leaning against the truck, dog chasing the ducks around the yard, and watching the sun coming up, right before walking across the road to hunt the pheasants?  Listening to the countryside wake up, the neighbors rooster crowing, the ducks quacking, THAT is one of my favorites.

The coolest:  Listening to the Loons, and nothing else, 25 plus miles from the nearest road deep in the BWCA, with your canoe beached, tent pitched, and everything you brought with you in your pack leaning against the tree while you examine the fresh bear claw marks on the tree you just pitched your tent next to.    
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, there are many.........

First and foremost, my Daughter saying "I Love You Daddy!!"

Second, about 8 to 9 Apache Helicopters flying in formation over my house.

Third, the awesome sound of the B1 Stealth Bomber that flew over my house last year.

The rest of the sounds are too numberous to list........

DK [:D]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Peeper Frogs.

Air Traffic Control.

Any aircraft engine at any stage.

My dog's deep growl.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The sound of the Thunderbirds in a six ship formation buzzing the crowd back in the 70's when they flew lower, faster, and used F-4's, pound for pound the loudest damned plane ever made.

CJ
View Quote

kewl.. My daddy flew F-4s... did a tour in 'Nam.  I was too young when we pretty much stopped using the Phantoms.  Still one of the most beautiful aircraft ever, IMHO.

Other sounds I like are:

The SPROINNNG sound of my AR15 when I fire her.  

The p-pop sound of a .22lr report and the sound of it smacking the paper target a fraction of a second later.  

The CHING sound of my .45 1911 going into battery

The sound of my new car... when I come to a stop and the engine stops turning in the Idle Stop mode... silence.  Then the purr as I shift into gear, the engine starts up instantly and winds up as I take off the line.
(can you guess what my car is?)  :)

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#23]
That double take that I did when I was driving; glanced skyward and say a BAT LIKE TRIANGULAR VOID BLACK AS PITCH IN THE SKY , on the second take I recognized it as a B-2 flying out of Tinker.

Ben

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#24]
– The sounds of the sea…from inside inner space.  Croakers, seals, whales, dolphins, walrus, snapping shrimp…and…”The Boing” (Ask a sonar tech…), plus the eerie BA-WAH of the ship’s sonar blasting away.
– Frogs on the pond in the summer.
– An M1-A1 passing…whispering death.
– An F-16 on combat air patrol over my office just outside the Pentagon.  The Sound of Freedom.
– A burbling stream.
– Bats and purple martins chasing skeeters in the summer.
– Ma Deuce any time.
– A 5” 54cal automatic gun from the engaged bridge wing of my ship…while the mount is tending aft slightly.  The amount of smoke and wadding residue is amazing!  Another round every 20 seconds.  (What was that again…huh…sorry, didn’t HEAR you!).
– A Tomcat breaking the sound barrier as it scoots by.
– The Beatles, Beethoven’s Fifth, Puccini’s La Boheme, Pink Floyd’s The Wall, Dire Straits’ Money for Nuthin…Chicks for Free (Shit…what could be better than that?, J. S. Bach’s Eine Kleine Nacht Muzic, Vivaldi’s Four Seasons, Flatt & Scruggs’ bluegrass, Enya, and finally…Faith Hill (If ya don’t like the sounds…shut the damn volume down…and just look at her.  You won’t care anyway!)
– My AR heating up the barrel fast.
– A Chrysler 426 HEMI roaring down the drag strip under full throttle.
– The Pipes skirling away on something like “Scotland The Brave”
– Parts of Victory At Sea albums.
– The United States Marine Corps Band Concert at The Marine Barracks Washington, 8th & I.
– A purring kitten.
– The sounds of your ship…a living, breathing entity.  You don’t realize this until you decommission one.  Afterwards…the silence is deafening.
– A summer thunderstorm.
– A GMC-671 blower whining away on a small-block Chevy in a tricked-out totally slick roadster.  What a sweet sound.
– A P-51 Mustang beating up the field with about 50” of manifold vacuum pulling the blower hard.
– “It’s a Boy!”  Two years later, “It’s a girl!”
– My giggling grandchildren jumpin’ on the bed.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#25]
[img]www.finalfront.com/hosting/users/geepgeep/RTmob10550percent.JPG[/img]

- turbine engines  click...click....cggooossshhhhh...
- atc
- wind in the trees on a lazy day
- ducati desmo purr at 8k rpm

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#26]
"the sound of a switchblade and a motorbike..."

Sorry, I couldn't resist. [:D]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top