Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2002 8:32:31 PM EDT
Hotmail at sone time set up a limit of 2MBs of storage on accounts including inbox, sent items, etc.  If you went over your limit you [b]were notified[/b] to correct it within a week or so.  If you did not correct it within the allotted time they began to delete files out of your inbox rather than your sent items as usually where the most of the wasted storage was located.  Recently they came up with a new money making scheme for users not to lose their important files and Emails.  You can purchase 10MBs of storage for $19.95 per year.  

Evidently they were not getting many takers for their great offer so, today I receive an Email stating that now if you go over your allotted 2MBs your account will be frozen.  You will not be notified and incoming Emails will be returned to sender.  Here is their fabulous offer:

[b]Don’t let your account freeze up![/b]

Did you know that if your account goes over the 2MB storage limit, it will automatically be frozen? That means:
You won’t be able to send any messages
All e-mails sent to you will bounce back without notification

Your account will stay frozen until you delete enough e-mail to put you under the 2MB limit. Then, you'll need to keep monitoring it to make sure you stay well under the limit.

The better option is to sign up for MSN® Extra Storage. For only $19.95* per year (less than $2 a month) MSN Extra Storage gives you 10MB of storage — five times what you’re getting today. It's the easiest way to avoid a frozen account.

I sure love capitalism!
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, got the same one.  Ya know what I did, the stuff I wanted to save, I just created another hotmail account and moved it to the 'storage' email.....

But you're right.  It sucks.  Just a lousey 2MB... Yahoo lets you have 6MB!!!

"You won’t be able to send any messages
All e-mails sent to you will bounce back without notification "

.... bounce back w/out notification... to the recipiant....

I'm guilty of keeping clost to 2MB, but they should get real and increase the size...
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would you want to use Hotmail anyway?????

They have had repeated security problems, their servers are unreliable, and on top of it all they're owned by Microsoft.

Use Yahoo! email instead:  http://[url]http://mail.yahoo.com/[/url]

They give you 6MB free, and they have some fairly good spam-filtering software (all the spam goes into a "Bulk Mail" folder, so you can still see it if you want).
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#4]
At ease, man.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

By freezing your account, all they mean is that new mail will not be delivered into your account until you free up enough space.

That is NO different from before.

:)
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 1:02:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been on Yahoo for years. Why bother with Mr. Bill and his pedantic BS?
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:41:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Whining bitchs.

It is FREE, get a grip.  If you depend on it, pay for it, otherwise, shut your pie holes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:08:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Lycos will give you 8MB of space (if you ask) and its free. Best deal goin' IMO.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:54:00 AM EDT
[#8]
As near as I can tell, hotmail exists so some bozo can purchase an email list and send out 1 million junk emails about how to make your erections last longer.  Frankly, I wished they'd charge $100/mo to subscribe for anything, that would sure cut down on the spam.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:38:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Use Yahoo! email instead:  http://[url]

They give you 6MB free, and they have some fairly good spam-filtering software (all the spam goes into a "Bulk Mail" folder, so you can still see it if you want).
View Quote

Ya use Yahoo mail just like all the Nigerian scam artists, works great for them.

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:47:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got yahoo, hushmail, and hotmail. Yahoo hasn't been aggressive about forcing you onto a pay account but it does have access issues (for me anyway). Hushmail is really starting to piss me off by making me jump through hoops to sign in. It's true that Hotmail caps you at 2MB but they're not supposed to count garbage and junk mail. One night I received in excess of 40 spam messages that dropped into the junk mail folder. Boom, that generated a message telling me I was over my limit. Nice huh?
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Remind me not to ever give people something for free...[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:57:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Whining bitchs.

It is FREE, get a grip.  If you depend on it, pay for it, otherwise, shut your pie holes.
View Quote

I use Hotmail because I like Hotmail.
Also I''m such a dumb-a$$ I paid the extra ($12.95 when I bought it) for the extra space.)

I occasionally get an email from a couple of company president's in the gun industry.  Interestingly they're dumb-a$$es too as they use Hotmail.

Just remember this is "Hanoi Jane Fonda's" fault anyway - Bitch.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 8:00:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Typical Microsoft.  They make the service (usually it's a piece of software) so bad that people line-up to give them money to make it better.  A famous quote from the late Douglas Adams is appropriate here:

[i]The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he, by peddling second-rate technology, who led them into it in the first place.[/i]

z
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Whining bitchs.

View Quote

LOL!!!!...from "Christine" right?

Hotmail was a major "spam magnet" for me.  I just let it die.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the same filters on both my Yahoo and Hotmail accounts, yet the shit emails still make it into my yahoo box!  Its a shame too, because I like Yahoo a lot more, even though there's more advertising.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm surprised you guys haven't figured it out yet, with so many self professed "Computer Experts" in here.  I never boast about "Computer Skills" and often get a good chuckle at some of the things that get said by those idiots with all the MCSE,CCNA,CCDP,MCP,CNE,MVP,SOB crap in their signature files.  

Let me school you guys on this real quick.

Microsoft is knee deep in deploying the .NET platform.  Sure if you just want to freeload, I guess it sucks for you.  But your missing the whole point.  In a year you will either be paying for .NET or Hotmail or whatever you feel like calling it or you won't go near anything having to do with Microsoft.  But YES IT WON'T BE FREE.  .NET is meant to be the fusion of several everyday platforms we all depend on.  I'm not going to divuldge a ton of information here.  If you have a degree, you should be able to apply your brain for about 30 minutes and realize just why Microsoft wants you to pay 2 dollars a month for the early phase of .NET.

Like 2 bucks is a lot of money...

If you only want free email, that is a dated idea.  Try the followers until they fold.  When Microsoft purchased Hotmail from Sabeer Bhatia they already had a vision for what is about to happen.  And man, that was around 96 or 97.

Not meant to be a flame.  Just use your head...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top