Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Could someone please post a link to the text of the bill that might get passed tomorrow?

-Lazy
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

"Maybe we can do a new topic after we win the Senate and need to lobby the Governor!!
View Quote

Dude - that would be sweet!  And BTW, can sombody from Madison explain to me why Chvalla's got everybodies ass so chapped?  Why did that "Sly in the morning" dude say Chvalla was going to be in jail next year?

[EDITED TO SAY:   3 Pages!  HaaaaH!!!]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Chvala and Jensen are both being investigated in the caucus scandal.  There has been an ongoing John Doe hearing.  Popular opinion is that DA Brian Blanchard and DA Michael McCann are gunning for the big wigs.  They've given immunity to a number of high up key players.  Chvala and Jensen could both be potentially looking at CRIMINAL charges in the next 6 months or so.  And no, I don't have any inside information.  [;)]  I'm always the last to know (usually from the papers -- LOL).

I bet that they both agree to step down from their leadership roles "for the good of the party" for an agreement not to be prosecuted and give a full debriefing of their activities.  At least that's my best guesstimate at this point.

Go here for PDF files of the legislation:

[url]http://www.wisconsinconcealedcarry.com/html/legislation.html[/url]

You'll need to go to the legislative homepage to see what amendments the Assembly CJ committee tacked on.  I didn't read them all, but they seemed to be unanimously approved and more clearly defined bars, etc. in typical legis-speak.

[url]http://www.legis.state.wi.us/[/url]

Now I'm [i]really[/i] going to bed!

Thanks everyone for the comradery and support on this bill!  We're all fighting the good fight and it's a warm feeling knowing you're not alone!

Night all!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, wait!  One more thing.

[b]Here's some good news before you go to bed!![/b]

I just receive information that the RKBA amendment to the state's constitution, the pre-emption legislation, the range protection act, and other pro-gun bills were all passed in the last day or two of the senate session. All of these were passed over Chuck Chvala's "over my dead body" vow.  And Senator Fred Risser was, IIRC, President of the Senate when all this was passed.

This is just a paraphrase of some information that I received from a little bird.  An "anonymous little bird."  (Anyone see the movie Traffic?  Didn't like it, but dug that quote.)

Til tomorrow my friends....  [|)]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Shameless BBT, good news so far, fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Having trouble sleeping ... so BTT for the night crew!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:43:12 AM EDT
[#7]
BTT

I am tired from rolling around restlessly last night.

When I'm at the capitol this afternoon, I might end up calling Muad or Dolo with updates, so hopefully they'll have access to a computer.  You may hear it first on AR15.com.  [;)]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:08:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll be doing an excessive amount of ar15.com checking at work today!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:33:49 AM EDT
[#9]
need an update for a Minnesotan :)
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:36:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I would love to come guys, but I can't get there until the afternoon, and then only if my wife doesn't need the car (truck is broke).  
I'll be rooting for you and I have held up my end here.

On second thought, perhaps it's better if I don't go, especially if it doesn't go well....I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut.
[soapbox]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#11]
As I was walking into the office today, another attorney I know said "it sounds like the concealed carry bill will pass today."  He heard Sly say that they have enough votes (simply majority, 17, he explained) for a "pulling motion."  He knew a little bit more about the procedure and his brief comments helped put things in context for me.  He's a "mixed feelings" kind of guy and not clearly for or against, though he supports the concept.  He is more in tune with politics, especially local, than I am and seemed to think that having Sen. Gary George supporting the bill was a pretty big deal.

I realize none of this means squat until they try to drag the PPA to the floor of the Senate, but just thought I'd forward the latest news from the rumor mill.  [:)]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#12]
BTT
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#13]
no news yet?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I have some immediate work that needs to get done.  Probably about 1.5 hours worth.  Then I'll swing up to the capitol.

I've also emailed Sly to see what he knows.  He's a local radio personality and seems to have good connections.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#15]
does this law include madison and milwaukee?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#16]
"THE SENATE HAS RECESSED FOR A TIME UNDETERMINED"

That's what it says on the [url=http://www.legis.state.wi.us/insession/senate/index.htm] Live "Insession calendar"[/url] webpage.

They went in at 10:00AM for like twenty minutes and then went on a break.  Lazy scum!  

I CAN'T TAKE THIS PRESSURE!!!!                     [shock]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Dolo, I just found that link and was about to post it!

14. Motions may be offered.
View Quote

My guess is this is when the pulling motion might come, so we might be talking about another 3:30 a.m. session.

I heard that Sen. Zien was on Sly's radio show this morning and said that if the PPA can make it to the Senate floor, he figured that it would get at least 20 votes.  Now, the question remains whether 17 of those votes will back a pulling motion....

[b]Latest info:

I just called Sen. Zien's office and spoke with his aide.  She was very helpful and said that they are reconvening at 1:30 p.m. after caucusing over the lunch hour.  At some point in the day, Sen. Zien will make the formal announcement that he will be making the pulling motion at the appropriate time, which is #14 on the agenda.  The possibility exists that the Democrats could try to stall it as long as possible, and it could take place at 3:30 a.m.  Of course, it could take place sooner, it just depends on how long it takes them to get everything else done.

Once the pulling motion is made, Sen. Zien's aide said that they will hope that they can muster the 17 supporters to get it to the floor.  Sen. Zien has been speaking with people all morning, and it sounds like he was confident on Sly's program that they had more than 17 supporters.  It sounded to me like the aide didn't have the detailed information that I was looking for.[/b]

It could be a long day/night.  I'll try to pop up there soon to check things out.

I'll probably post something (even if no new info) when I get back from the Senate.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I see that the senate has reconvened...sounds like things are already starting to work up with it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks like they're doing something.  Click on the yellow links to see what happened and how everyone voted.

I'll try to pop up in the next 15 minutes to see what's going on.

An AR15.com Recon?  [;)]  LOL
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Yet another LEO endorsement, this time from the MILWAUKEE POLICE ASSOCIATION, courtesy of Dave Zien.

Sen. Zien promises that this letter form the 1700 members of the MPD union will be handed out to every Senator on the floor.

I fax'd Breske, Grobschmidt, and Rosenzweig that now Milwaukee cops are on our side.

(Also, FWIW, a few minutes before two I heard Chvala say that the Personal Protection Act will get a chance to be heard - but only at Step 14...  This could take all night - lets keep the pressure up on our Senator's offices!)  

I have no fingernails left

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Getting closer...
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#22]
AR15.com recon -- mission a success.

I blended in so well with the indigeous personnel that I fetched 7 cups of coffee, two dry cleaning orders, washed Chvala's POV, engaged in a limited political campaign for Scott Jensen as an his aide hired under another Senator's payroll, and received a grant of immunity and a subpoena in a John Doe hearing.  [:D]

Actually I was able to pop up there, check it out and get back in 20 minutes.  It seemed like the proceedings were run with a very strict procedure, which gives me hope for getting the PPA to the floor.  [See Dolo's last post.]

When I was there they were debating the sexual assault testing bill.  I'd hate to have to sit there and listen to that drivel all day.  (EDITED to add that I'm not calling this bill drivel, just the endlessly tedious back and forth negotiation over where a comma goes.)  Though my guess is the sparks will fly when SB357/AB675 hits the floor!

Sen. Zien has pushed pro-gun legislation through before, and I'm confident he can do it again!  Think about it this way.  Do you think the range protection or state pre-emption bills had rape and knife attack victims testifying at packed judiciary hearings?  My guess is the PPA is much more high profile and supported by voters than either of those two bills.

BTW, I didn't see all the senators present in chambers.  Sen. George was absent.  Hopefully he and Sen. Zien were out shoring up support for the PPA!

And Dolo, that info. re: the Milwaukee cops is GREAT!!  What a last minute coup for the PPA!  That is awesome.

My fingers are chewed raw as well.  I haven't been able to eat or sleep well and am so tired I have a headache.  I haven't been this stressed out about anything since had to pay my dues and suffer to get my job.  [%|] [BD]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Right now they're debating paying a $9,000 claim for damaged apple trees.

AN ACT relating to: expenditure of $9,296 from moneys appropriated to the
department of transportation in payment of a claim against the state made by
Robert and Dorothy Messner.
Analysis by the Legislative Reference Bureau
This bill directs expenditure of $9,296 from moneys appropriated to the
department of transportation (DOT) for the current fiscal biennium for maintenance
and repair of state highways and certain related programs in payment of a claim
against DOT by Robert and Dorothy Messner. The claimants operate an apple
orchard adjacent to STH 49 near Brownsville (Dodge County). In 1998, the claimants
had 136 dead, dying, or damaged apple trees near the highway, which a plant
pathologist determined to be caused by salt spray. Based on average net income for
the years 1994 to 1997, the claimants estimated that the damage resulted in $9,296
in net loss of income for 1998. DOT asserts that it attempted to reduce the amount
of salt applied to the highway in response to the claimants’ concerns, but that it has
a duty to maintain the roadway in a safe condition for the traveling public, and that
discontinuing the use of salt is not a viable option. DOT also asserts that the
claimants should exercise prudent planting practices in areas near the highway. On
October 19, 1999, the claims board recommended payment of this claim (see 1999
Senate Journal, p. 307).
View Quote

It's going to be another long night....
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I was thinking about going up to the capital and sitting in for awhile.  But I'm listening online and this stuff is BORING!  It sounds like they're getting closer to Step #14 though.  They just went through AB 655.  There's only 5 scheduled bills to go over before the change in action.  It's starting to go pretty fast now.

I haven't been able to concentrate all day.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Wish you guys luck.

These state battles for things like CCW are a far mor accurate guide to the publics attitude on guns thatn polling is.

When more and more states go shall issue that tells politicians everywhere that Gun Control is not popular anymore and they need to lay off.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Any news yet?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#27]
3 or 4 more bills to go.  Right now they're rambling on about redistricting South Milwaukee.  I'd vote for floating South Milwaukee out on to the Lake.

After the bills all get voted upon, THEN, the now famous: [b]"Step 14"[/b] will come up and my hero Dave Zien will do his thing.  

And then my friend, and only then, shall we see what shall be...
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#28]
 I'd vote for floating South Milwaukee out on to the Lake.  
View Quote

I'll second that motion.

All those in favor say aye..

[b]AYE[/b]

Opposed...

[b]...[/b]

The ayes have it.  Motion carried.

[smash]

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#29]
beep beep beep beep

what happens in "step 13" ?

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#30]
LOL! Muad!

Step 13:
"13. Third reading of joint resolutions and bills."
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#31]
So any estimates on how long it will take to get to the magical step 14?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#32]
6:21!

Zien is on!

[bounce]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Now Chvala is on.

Booooo!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#34]
ok, my hands are shaking. . .

the jackass on now is questioning lott and bringing up ev. on police force evidence (unrelated info). . .

he also said lott was funded by winchester. . . the maker of "black talon" ammo. . .

grrrrrrrrr.
[frag]  [flame]  
[argue]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Listen to Ellis!  

Bring it brother!

"Senator from the 16th - YOU're OUT OF ORDER!"

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Ellis is the king of day
[:)]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#37]
So whats the word??? I'm in North-fricking-Dakota, so I have no idea whats happending!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#38]
check it out on audio http://www.legis.state.wi.us/insession/senate/index.htm
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Sen.  Robert Welch is kicking butt now!

Reading Senate rule 8 - whatever!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow! The Majority Leader and the Pres. are raving pussies, but the rest of these guys speaking have big balls.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#41]
[url]http://www.legis.state.wi.us/insession/senate/index.htm[/url]

Go Sister Mary Panzer!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Spectators in the Senate audience threatened with being booted by Senate President if they applaud again!

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#43]
OK- I just started listening to the hearing on the net. Are they coming to a decision tonight???
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#44]
uh. . . oh. . .

the president is playing nasty games. . . moving on to 15th order of business despite objection!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#45]
It's not looking good for the home team. Dirty damned democrats.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#46]
this is the biggest bunch of bs i've seen all year.

wtf. . . "um da president didn't hear the objection. . . too bad for you."

just now, as they turned off the audio, someone said, "that's enough games" or something similar
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#47]
THE SENATE STANDS ADJOURNED

This is un-fucking-believable.  they moved onto to Step 15.  Then immediately,  they adjourned.  They then pulled the audio.

Risser and Chvala are worse than bratty children.  They killed it - there were voices in the background of the audio screaming at Risser that they objected to moving on to Step 15 and fucking Risser ignored them.  Just blew them off.  This behavior is blatantly criminal.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This is un-fucking-believable.  they moved onto to Step 15.  Then immediately,  they adjourned.  They then pulled the audio.

Risser and Chvala are worse than bratty children.  They killed it - there were voices in the background of the audio screaming at Risser that they objected to moving on to Step 15 and fucking Risser ignored them.  Just blew them off.  This behavior is blatantly criminal.
View Quote

OK- I'm still in the dark- What does this mean???
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I was wondering why the audio quit.  Can't let the good people of Wisconsin hear the Democrats subvert our legislative process.

BASTARDS!  This bill is NOT going to pass unless they can do it on something procedural, but it looks like the President is willing to violate procedural rules at will.  It also looks like Chvala is willing to risk pulling the plug.  Who was it that jumped in to suck up the the soccer moms with that crap about the LaFolette Basketball team, while our legislative process was being nonchalantly run over?
All I can say is:
AR15.com fire mission!  Code name...Election Influence!  We need to make them pay at the ballot box.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

The shit has hit the fan. . .
I hope that there is something done about this blatent abuse of power.

Have they no honor. . . truly chicken shits
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top