Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2002 6:12:52 AM EDT
+No flame intended.  I'm just posting some of my observations.  Please feel free to concur or correct my errors.+

Have you ever noticed that as soon as Olympic Arms is mentioned in a thread everything deteriorates into a flame war?

I've thought about this, because even though I regularly use Olympic Arms lowers on kit guns - I still find myself being very suspicious of Olympic Arms.  Even though I've build and shot their kits in the past, I still can't totally commit myself to their product.

They're not a bad manufacturer.  In fact, their barrels seem to be highly regarded by some.  Their lowers are priced right.  So what is it about Olympic Arms that produces that love / hate relationship with consumers.

I personally believe it to be their marketing and quality control.  If you read their claims on their web site you would be led to the conclusion that they are the APEX and MOUNTAINTOP experience of the AR-15 rifle system.  And yet when I receive their product I'm always worried.  Will the forgings be nicely machined this time?  Will the magazine well be machined to spec?  What the heck is this silver phillips head screw?  etc.

Perhaps if Olympic Arms simply advertised themselves as manufacturers of solid economically priced rifles, carbines and kits they wouldn't set themselves up for so much consumer heartburn.

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:26:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:36:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I think a lot of the flaming stems from the BoATFuCK's ban on steel-core 7.62x39 ammo.  The agency "justified" the ban by claiming that Oly's OA-93 pistol could fire the evil armor-piercing cop-killing steel-core ammo, but then, Thompson/Center had already been making 7.62x39 barrels for their Contender handguns for years.

Many people were, and are, bitter about Olympic's uncaring attitude.  Personally, I blame the BoATFuCK.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:42:02 AM EDT
[#3]
i think most of it came from tom spithurler's arrogant attitude and remarks. thats what pissed me off anyway
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:12:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i think most of it came from tom spithurler's arrogant attitude and remarks. thats what pissed me off anyway
View Quote

Agreed.  Tom just couldn't not fight with people it seems.

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#5]
It doesnt help your credibility when all your manufacturing records are regularly destroyed by flood or fire.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It doesnt help your credibility when all your manufacturing records are regularly destroyed by flood or fire.
View Quote

I dunno, I think many gun owners rather liked it back in 1993-4 when so many FFLs were hit with floods, fires, and termites in their 4473 books.  What a bad streak of luck they all had.

I can't see how Oly's "credibility" was hurt by having a fire, especially since in their case it wasn't a ploy;  they really got hurt by it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Olympic Arms sucks.
Their product is inferior, the employees incompetent, and their marketing shabby.

...I don't know a damn thing about Oly-quality, I'm just stirring up the flame war.  Hey, I dislike change.  Flame away!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top