Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2002 12:24:26 PM EDT
Ok, the plastic knife threads have got me thinking about a 100% ceramic knife.
While prone to breakage a ceramic knife will cut much better than a  plastic one.
Anyone know what type of clay these store bought ceramic knives are made of?
I could make some up out of porcelain to test for strength. Say ¼” thick along the spine,
4” handle and tanto style 4” blade.  They would cut you out of an airline seat in a hurry.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Man, that thing would be sweet! Just thinking about it makes me want to crap my pants!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, Shomer-Tec sells a ceramic knife. If it's what I'm thinking of, it's about $100.00.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Eh, found the catalog and it wasn't a ceramic knife. But they had/have one made of something called MP45 (some kind of laminate) and a dendritic cobalt folder w/"almost no magnetic signature".
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#4]
MADDOG knives makes one.

So does Boker (Bokker?)

And there are others.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The Mad Dog "Mirage-X" goes beyond ceramic, *way* beyond.  It's a tough mystery composite that hold a pretty good edge, apparently.  They're expensive if you can find them.  Mad Dog no longer offers them- it seems they made the decision to pull them off the market after 9/11... though I think that if you're LE or active military, you can still get them.

For some reason, I think they're just a really cool thing, with a great gizmocity factor...

[img]http://www.proedgeknives.com/eod.jpg[/img]

[url]http://www.proedgeknives.com/dog.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#7]
not exactly tactical knives but these are ceramic       [:D]

[url]www.kyocera.com/kai/consumer/Products/kitchen_plastic.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#8]

What's wrong with Titanium ?
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I think Boker has a folder with a Ceramic blade.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#10]
[url]members.tripod.com/~Newt_Livesay/neckknives.html[/url]

Model #701; NRG non-magnetic fiber knife. Less than 2 ounces of the of pure "ENERGY (NRG)" in a LIVESAY Quick Release KYDEX sheath system. This blade is carried by Federal, and Military personnel world wide. One West Coast FEDERAL DEPARTMENT that had bought a non-maganetic knife from another company was paying over $95.00 each. After testing the NRG they ordered over one-hundered & twenty-five (125) units in the first sixteen (16) months. Functional and very descreet for ultimate stealth and convenience
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 4:16:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Boker makes an excellent, but pricey ceramic folder. Have oogled them many times, but cannot bring myself to spent the money when good old fashioned steel seems to cut very nicely.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:34:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I have looked for months for a 100% ceramic knife. You are out of luck.

The Model #701; NRG non-magnetic fiber knife is a fiberglass type material. It is only meant for stabbing. The blade is like a sharpen piece of wood. Boker has metal in all their knives.
The best one is by Kyocera but good luck in finding a sheath. The ceramic blade is the sharpest one I have ever used.

Watch who you show it too. My wife borrowed mine for cooking and now I can't get it back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top