Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2002 7:25:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2002 11:18:36 AM EDT by California_Kid]
Be very careful when voting in today's primary. Make sure you get the right ballot and the right voting machine. I'm an independent, and chose to vote in the Republican primary this election. My precinct workers were a little confused initially. I was their first customer who was an independent choosing to vote in a partisan primary. There are several flavors of ballots and several species of voting machines. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT ONE! The correct ballot for me was labelled "INDEPENDENT-REP". It's off-white with a repeating pattern of yellow bears. An independent who is not voting for partisan offices would get a ballot marked "INDEPENDENT". A registered Repbulican would get one marked "REPUBLICAN". They're all different colors. The precinct workers picked the right ballot, but initially handed me the wrong machine - one with a mish-mash of minor party candidates (Green, American Independent, etc.). The correct voting machine for me was the Republican one. There are four or five different voting machines, also color-coded. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT MACHINE! The ballot itself may cause some confusion. Independents who choose a partisan ballot are allowed to vote for everything except party central committee members. That one page is indicated by a border of double thin orange lines and some text in the margin. However, the page so marked is the right-hand page just BEFORE the page with forbidden holes. You have to turn the page before you actually see the party central committee choices - when you can see the orange border lines your ballot is open to a page on which independents ARE allowed to vote. I'm sure I voted correctly because I did my homework and had two cups of coffee before going to the polls. But this ballot system may cause a lot of confusion. Independents are bound to punch holes on party central committee pages. Hopefully that won't invalidate any part of their ballots. The precinct workers had at least two copies of a cheat-sheet with a flowchart to determine which gets what ballot and machine. My precinct workers are intelligent, dedicated ladies who have been running the same polling place for as long as anyone in my neighborhood (a corner of South Park) remembers. They kindly thanked me for helping them figure the new system out. WATCH WHAT YOU ARE BEING HANDED AT THE POLLS!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:57:44 AM EDT
Thanks CK, I will be going to the polls at lunch, and don't want to end up like a Florida voter.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:36:31 AM EDT
CK, Your vote will not be counted. Californias modified open primary law says you can request a republican ballot, but the republican party doesnt have to count your vote. If you wanted to vote in the republican primary you should have registered as a republican.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:47:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2002 8:47:59 AM EDT by California_Kid]
AR15fan, Can you please substantiate that? According to the Caliban Secretary of State:
"Date California Republican Party filed notice with Secretary of State: 7/03/01 At its February 23-25, 2001 convention in Sacramento, the California Republican Party adopted a bylaw amendment to authorize and permit "decline-to-state" voters to participate in their partisan primary elections in March 2002."
View Quote
Source: [url]http://www.ss.ca.gov/elections/elections_decline.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:35:58 AM EDT
If the republican party has decided to count independant votes, and told Cal secretary of state to do so, then yes, your vote will be counted. I was unaware Either party had decided to do so, since they both fought the "open" primary law. Ps... For those in OC, write in John Adams to remove Judge Kline.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:47:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2002 10:49:31 AM EDT by California_Kid]
I got on the radio on KPBS this morning. The discussion topic was independent voters. I told them I had just voted in my first Republican primary. I explained that I quit the Dems over privacy and gun rights. I said I was pro-environment and pro-choice, but had gotten disgusted with the direction of the Democratic party. The host asked if I voted for Riordan. I replied that I was in the Republican primary to vote AGAINST Riordan (for Simon) because of gun rights issues. The guest (a Poli Sci professor) asked how I could be pro-choice and vote for Simon. I said I didn't believe the Governor of CA could do any real damage to reproductive choice. They didn't want to hear any more from me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:58:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:01:07 AM EDT
And for God's sake, watch out for [b]hanging chads[/b]!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:02:36 AM EDT
Where can I get a run-down of which candidates to vote for that are supported by the GOC and/or the NRA? Not just state-wide officials but also county and city officials. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:09:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:18:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Ponyboy: And for God's sake, watch out for [b]hanging chads[/b]!
View Quote
Dude, I double-checked and TRIPLE-checked for hanging, dimpled, pregnant, and just plain BAD chads. The instructions printed on the ballot say to check to make sure all holes are fully punched. The Caliban vacuums out all chads from all voting machines every other year. We don't have a problem with wayward chads.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:25:41 AM EDT
Hey. As a Florida voter, I take offense at that. Just kidding. Those idiots in Palm Beach give us all a bad name. On the other hand, I punched the same ballot and knew who I was voting for. Perhaps IQ tests are in order. That should weed out most of the Anti-Gunners.
Originally Posted By mejames: Thanks CK, I will be going to the polls at lunch, and don't want to end up like a Florida voter.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:32:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cc48510: Perhaps IQ tests are in order. That should weed out most of the Anti-Gunners.
View Quote
I belive it worked exactly as it should have. Those who weren't smart enough to figure out the ballot had theirs thrown out. An IQ test for voting in a sense. It might not sound very "American" or whatever, but I don't want someone who isn't smart enough to perform simple tasks out there voting on who is going to represent me in the government. If we would have had a similar test across the nation in years past I would be willing to bet that many of the soccer moms would have failed and we might have gotten around the 8 disasterious Clinton years.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:00:43 PM EDT
CK, I think Florida is off the hook for their voting scandal. It will now be known as the PRK voting fiasco. I went to vote, and it appears the polling works were confused. They were telling me to use the plain Independant ballot. I asked them what the Non/Rep ballot was for. They told me it was for Nonpartisan and not DTS. I explained to them based on what I got from your essage and asked for the stripped ballot. I think they have been telling people wrong all day, and I don't think I convinced them otherwise. Lets how that everybody wins/loses by a landslide, so there is no controversy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:30:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2002 5:38:03 PM EDT by California_Kid]
Originally Posted By mejames: ... I went to vote, and it appears the polling works were confused. They were telling me to use the plain Independant ballot. I asked them what the Non/Rep ballot was for. They told me it was for Nonpartisan and not DTS....
View Quote
(For non-Californi readers, Nonpartisan means the same thing as DTS or Declined To State. In the primary election, Nonpartisans are entitled to vote either a ballot with no partisan offices, or a ballot of any party that accepts independent voters.) I've heard directly from several people that poll workers had problems understanding the system. My mom has always been registered as a Republican but they had her pegged as Declined To State (DTS). She had to vote on the "INDEPENDENT-REP" ballot. But I'm not ready to cry "Conspiracy!" yet. She moved about a year ago. Her registration probably got messed up when she re-registered due to the change of address. I too hope the margins are wide enough to avoid recounts and controversy. It will be funny if Prop. 43 passes and large groups of voters question the constitutionality of the process in this election.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:33:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2002 6:36:52 PM EDT by Ratters]
I've voted in three different districts and they have always used the "scantron" type ballot which you color the box in with a pen. I don't know why they all don't use this straightforward method. Might by difficult for someone with parkinsons but they could be helped. I live in a small town in the Bay Area and am one of the only Libertarians in town. Last time I voted in the morning it took ten minutes to find by ballot. They were pretty on the ball today. California Kid, I used to be pro choice before I really thought about it. I don't want to start a debate about it other than to say, really think about it. But I do agree with you in that it is a non issue. And so many dems get voted in for that one issue. I can count six females I know that would vote republican but for that one issue even though it is a non issue. I wish we had that type of force on the gun issue. CK, I just read your last post. My wife, a registered Democrat, had her's changed to non partisan as well, so it looks like screwups on both sides of the aisle.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:21:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:36:12 PM EDT
THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME --i confused the hell out of the poll workers. im a non-partisan person, got the right ballot, they pointed me to the natural law booth, i went back and said it not the right one, went to the next booth which wasnt right either. i told them [b]i want to vote republican[/b], and with my scruffy looks (which is an understatement) they got real cornfused, LOL. the lady looked at the book thing in the democrat booth and thought there was a nonpartisan voting thing which there wasnt. then i had to tell them that a non-partisan could vote for any party, they had to go look it up and came back giving me a piece of paper explaining the process, Which i Already KNEW. i finally got to vote in the repub booth, of all the voters i saw only 1 went in the demoncrat booth, and course she said out loud "oh good no chads". everyone else was in line for the repubs. its good to see that simon won and rear-end got spanked, i was hoping jones was going to beat rearend also, just to add insult to injury. rearends political career is OVER, the demon can sink back down to Hell.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:09:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Ratters: ... California Kid, I used to be pro choice before I really thought about it. I don't want to start a debate about it other than to say, really think about it. But I do agree with you in that it is a non issue. And so many dems get voted in for that one issue....
View Quote
Thanks Ratters. This is one of the paradoxes of gun politics - I see the right to choose to own a gun as parallel to the right to terminate a pregnancy. Self-determination, privacy, and all that. A large percentage of pro-RKBA people think very differently. I think abortions are bad, ugly, and to be avoided. I've never been involved in an abortion. I respect the views of others who have thought about it more than I have and I will accept your suggestion to think about it - on the back burner. Now we must prepare for what happens in the campaign for the November election: The abortion non-issue and the gay rights non-issue and probably an immigration non-issue or two will become the focus of the left's attacks on Bill Simon. I hope he's ready to give the kind of non-losing non-answers that got Pete Wilson (another pro-life Republican) elected governor.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:18:11 PM EDT
CK, sent you an IM. Don't feel that you have to read it though. [:)]
Top Top