Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2002 6:24:36 PM EDT
[size=4]Gunman Kills 3 in Tel Aviv Eatery[/size=4]
By Yoav Appel, Associated Press Writer
Monday, March 4, 2002; 9:34 PM

TEL AVIV, Israel –– A gunman opened fire at a Tel Aviv restaurant early Tuesday, killing three people and wounding 25 before he was shot to death, officials said.

[b]A shoe salesman who was eating said he pulled his own gun and shot the attacker.[/b] It wasn't immediately clear if police also returned fire.

The Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade, linked to Yasser Arafat's Fatah movement, claimed responsibility for the attack in telephone calls to local TV stations, Israel Radio reported. The callers identified the attacker as a Palestinian from the Jebalya refugee camp next to Gaza City.

Police said the assault on the all-night restaurant was carried out by a lone gunman, but did not further describe him.

"A man fired with an M-16," Tel Aviv police commander Uri Bar-Lev told Israel Radio.

"He also apparently tried to throw a grenade, but it did not explode," said police commander Yossi Sedbon, also over Israel Radio. Sedbon said the attacker also stabbed people with a knife.

Shoe salesman William Hazan told the station that amid the violence he saw a tall man fighting with someone else.

"I thought he was beating the terrorist. Then the tall man stabbed me in the back with a knife. Then I understood that he was the terrorist. Right away I started firing at him," said Hazan.

The attack came during an especially violent period in the 17-month conflict between Israel and the Palestinians. In weekend attacks, Palestinians killed 22 Israelis, and in reprisals, Israeli forces killed 16 Palestinians on Monday.

"We saw a terrorist firing toward the restaurant and then entering," said a witness, who gave his name as Effie and said he is the owner of the business, called "Seafood." "He was firing all the time." He said the attack lasted about five minutes.

"We were dancing and all of a sudden we heard gunshots. We all hid under the tables," said another witness, who declined to be identified.

Yosef Cohen, the Tel Aviv area director of the Magen David Adom rescue services, said the wounded were all taken to local hospitals.

The attacker was not immediately identified. Police were searching the area for accomplices and explosives, police said, and a helicopter was in the air over the area.

Police asked other restaurant and night club owners in Tel Aviv to close and send their customers home.

The attack took place at 2:15 a.m. at the restaurant on Petah Tikva Road, a main street in Tel Aviv. The restaurant is near the offices of the Maariv daily.

See article at:[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38430-2002Mar4.html[/url]

[b]So tell me, DaMan, our little expert, did this bastard 'murder' 3 civilians, or 'kill' 3 civilians?[/b]

Eric The(LikeYou'dKnowTheDifference)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Well sir he murdered them but he also killed them.  You can kill someone but it is not always murder.  But if you murder someone you  have also killed them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, latta_gary, you knew the answer! [>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Well Eric...according to the PLO spokeswoman, it does'nt compare to the attrocities the Israelis have inflicted blah, blah, blah. To her it's justified until Israel gives them what, I do not know. Yes I do...they want the Jewish people dead. All of them. Then they will have peace...Sharon said they are officially at war. I say...let them do what they have to do.

No questions asked. There is no peace until you have a victor and a loser. The PLO will have to be defeated in war....period.

It's only just begun,
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I recently learned that there are very very few civilians who are not legit targets.......

This is all somehow due to the American Bill of rights and your second ammendment....for if you want to keep terrorists from killing innocent civilians you americans have to give up your guns.....errr  Ummmmm   Ok so maybe I am a little confused on this sort of all new to me.....thinking like this...

If you get to keep your guns then civilians are militia and therefore civilians are targets cause they could be armed because they might be armed because your bill of rights says you should be armed..................

OH  my head is hurting...

Boy am I glad I am not part of your "family" so I do not have to think or comment on these things.......

Link Posted: 3/4/2002 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Didn't like the service?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top