Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/3/2002 8:22:32 PM EDT
Just courious as to how many of y'all have "wasted" their time like I did to make one Mine took me 100 hours Sorry no pics.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:00:35 PM EDT
Sorry, all my suits are polyester™ from the 70's. You'd do well fer yourself to get a couple. They last forever. :) Stay away from Fortrel, they are cheap imitations and have no resale value.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:15:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 4:32:16 AM EDT
Wow, 100 hours... Any possible use for one of these? I was thinking of getting a zoot in woodland cammo. At least I could wear it to social functions. [;)]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 5:51:32 AM EDT
I only have one, but it's for church. HEHEHE
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 5:57:51 AM EDT
Out of curiosity: Why do you consider it a waste? Do you not have a use for your suit, or are you just frustrated that it took so long to make? -wh
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 6:15:53 AM EDT
I made one last year for Turkey season.... I posted the pic a few times here in the past....along with the bird I got with it. Mine took about 60 hours ( for the top half) I am working on the bottoms still. I still cannot believe how much burlap fibres shed......all over the house!!!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 6:19:37 AM EDT
I was out hunting coyotes one fine spring evening. Got set prone with my call, the G-suit, 22-250 just waiting for the for the yodel-dogs to show I shot several and loaded everything in a duffle and headed back to the house where I cleaned up the rifle and call but left the suit in the bag to “bomb” with tick and flee spray. My girlfriend at the time decided to do something nice for me and wash all my “Stinky Army clothes” and the G-suit exploded in the washing machine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 6:46:44 AM EDT
Ialso used camo netting,I spent almost 3hrs cutting the metal rings that fastened the material to the net, then another 4-6 hrs sewing this & burlap onto a pair of pants, a jacket,booniehat. What was I friggn thinkin,I was only going to try to breakup my outline from a dammed ol turkey. Anyway,opening morning I step out of the truck sporting my homemade ghilly and my three hunting buds,who are already there in the dark see this attire,ARE LAUGHING & SHOUTING "LOOK IT'S CHEWBAKA" (Starwars) AND YELLING "OOOOH, IT'S SWAMPTHING" along with other digs-coffee is being tossed on the "MONSTER".I only wore that suit one time,It ended up in the kids room for the boys to play with.And still to this day,after seven yrs,I'm still hearing "HEY,You remember that time ol Jim showed up in that...JIM, TELL em what that,what'd you call it"(LAUGHTER) Sorry about the long read
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 6:58:42 AM EDT
Yikes 308...what NOT to do with a ghillie. I imagine it killed the washing machine too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 7:02:04 AM EDT
Made mine @ Benning, at night after instructors were done with us. It took about 4 nights at 3 hrs a night. It consisted of BDU top and bottom, camo netting, canvass, silicone, jute in assorted colors, glued in knee and elbow pads, and the hat to go with it. Fraying the jute was the most time consuming. We resorted to tying them off to our vehicles and dragging them behind on the rocky road. The suits held up real well for the school, though I did make another one when I got back to my unit. Sadly I have lost both of them over the years, and it has been 10 years sine I have been to the school, but I can still smell that Ghillie.......Mike NY
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 7:37:10 AM EDT
My turkey hunting friends laughed at me as well.. At least until one of them walked past me at about 6 feet as I lay in a field edge.......... I wispered " over here " al la Predator........I thought he was going to jump out of his skin!!! Hmmm that sort of ended the jokes.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 7:46:46 AM EDT
Personally I prefer "Armani."
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 8:14:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 12:00:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By White_horse: Out of curiosity: Why do you consider it a waste? Do you not have a use for your suit, or are you just frustrated that it took so long to make? -wh
View Quote
I said waste of time because a lot of my friends said it was.....I thought it was fun as hell to build and it is neat to be able to lay down in a field and not be seen from 15 yards away.....I am successfully using mine to hunt 'yotes with and I am starting another to use for the "green season". I used 1 boonie hat and woodland cammo BDU's. I used a hammock net from Wally World and stitched it on with 6 lb test fishing line. THe burlap was bought at Southern States for 6 bucks. My new one is going a lot faster.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 12:40:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2002 12:48:24 PM EDT by gamesniper]
Yep, got one, but mine is the "factory" Mossy Oak from Cabelas. Girlfriend got it for me for my birthday. Looks fairly well constructed. I plan to use it to assume the identity of a bush if this friggin' state will ever pick me for antelope hunting. Otherwise, It'll likely collect a lot dust until I use it. I have checked out those "kit" type suits, and decided it's not worth it, especially since my fiasco last year when I decided to make my own pool cover.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 12:15:57 AM EDT
DONT use burlap, besides it fraying like a b*tch, its also flammable. the military would use fire-retardant on their ghillies. old camo BDUs ripped in strips would be good to use, camo blind netting and covers would work too, twine and fake vegetation left over from your wifes fall/thanksgiving decorating is good too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 2:36:15 AM EDT
Well, I have all the items to make mine but one. I need some type of netting...like a fish net or hammock. Just have not spent much time looking for it. I plan on using burlap, old BDU, jute, and yarn. I have already cut, stippped, frixed, colored, and permed [:D] the material. Hmmmm, maybe I should find that netting. Some of the guys use them....I could actually use mine as we do surv. in the woods on various narcotic substances. Oh...I know burlap will burn....I already have a fire retardent to treat it with....actually going to put fire retardent on the entire thing. medcop
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:43:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:49:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:01:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2002 8:03:53 PM EDT by BrodowskiTJ]
Top Top