Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2002 10:44:53 PM EDT
... Thinking about a Shimano baitcaster with the "Variable Braking System" (VBS).
... Anyone have one? I want to buy a new reel for the spring / summer bass fishing season and I have never felt commfortable with spin casters.

... any words of wisdom for an amature fisherman?
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 10:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
For bass, you definately want a baitcaster. Remember though, spring time is when they are most aggressive (especially the bigger ones) because they are spawning. I have a Shimano Corsair 400 baitcaster with a 6.5' Shimano baitcasting rod. They go great together. I spent about $150 on that rod and reel combo and so far, it was well worth it. Good luck with your fishing. I can't wait till spring comes around. I'm almost ready for it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Spidercast SCP900 on a Penn Sabre I use for the ocean. I picked up the reel on sale and I live close to where Penn rods are manufactured, I get factory cosmetic blems for almost nothing.
My buddy has a couple of Shimanos and a couple of Spidercasts and he likes both.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 3:38:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 3:55:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 4:13:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I use shimanos & love them -- great product.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 4:36:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Still have my ABU Garcia 5000 that I bought in 1974. It'll sling as good as most but is has about a 3.5:1 retrieve ratio. When you get too deep into the gadget syndrome just picture those old Philippino fishermen with a block of wood and some line wrapped around it catching fish that you only dream of. Kind of puts it all in perspective.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 4:52:42 AM EDT
[#8]
You cant go wrong with shimano. Anything Diawa is also very good.

Happy Fishing.

-T.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 5:28:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't do baitcasters.  I don't know what I'm missing, but I am a strictly spinning reel user.  I have a nice Pflueger light spinner on a Berkley light-medium rod, and that more than satisfies me for large mouth.  Whenever I've tried baitcasters, I, like Waldo,  always find a way to make a huge mess (and I get squat for casting distance too).  
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 5:52:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I really like Quantum's "Energy" line of baitcast reels. S-M-O-O-T-H!!!

FWIW- sgtstinger, before his Army experience, was an aspiring semi-professional bass fisherman. I had product deals with Ranger Boats, Mercury Outboards, and Humminbird Electronics. It was a life...

For those interested, I might tell a story or two...
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 5:57:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Daiwa with a 6.1:1 (6 Ball Bearing) on a 6' IM6 Graphite Medium/Heavy Rod
a Shimano (circa70's) with a 4.7:1 a 6'6" Medium Heavy Rod

A Daiwa open face real w/ 6'6" medium action rod which has been broken in two with a drillbit inserted into the broken ends and epoxied back into place (This is my lucky Catfishing rod; it has caught more catfish and sandbass and crappie then all my other more expensive rods combined). Its nasty blood bait soaked handle and well I just love this fishing pole.

Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:04:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I thought this was going to be about something else......[:I]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:39:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I have had my Shimano Baitcaster for 15 years with very little maintenance. Throughout my lifetime, I have owned 2 Shimano baitcasters with no regrets. To this day, I still backlash with the proverbial rats nest hanging out the back end. That's my own fault due to settings. They are not American made, but they stand the test of time.

You get what you pay for.

upward and onward,

pgo
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Talk about a good way to start an arguenent!! Talk fishing!!!
Another vote for Abu Garcia. I have several, but mostly use the 4600c. Have caught some very good striper and hybrid striper with it. Strong and easy to maintain...Good Fishing...fullclip
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:43:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Let's settle on terminology:

Spinning Reel - Open-faced reel with the spool mounted sideways, and the line strips off the side (to the front of the rod) when you open the bail.  You start and stop the cast by using the curled index finger, first holding the line at the base of the rod, then releasing it, and tightening back up at the end.

Spincasting Reel - Similar to the first one, but with a metal cover over the spool, and a thumb button you press, then release, in order to cast, and it also serves as the brake.
You use your thumb only on the button.
Pure crap, in my opinion.

Baitcasting -  traditional reel with a spool that rotates on bearings the axis is left-right. Used for casting artificial baits, often big ones.  In the simple models, you use the thumb to hold the spool in the first part of the cast, let it almost toally free during the release and while the bait is in the air, and tighten your thumb just before it hits the water - or if you overshot or were off on the direction, to stop it before you land it in a tree or other place you don't want.

I like spinning reels.  Spincasting reels are in my opinion crap.  You will inevitably have to remove the cover to undo a backlash, and they seem to be worse with this kind of reel.
To me, this is the kind of reel a soccer mom reluctantly buys her children because it looks like a good idea to cover up that messy old fishing line.  I had one when I was younger, part of a kit that I bought my son.  i know better now.  Also it seemed like the backlashes routinely caused grease to get on the line.  Finally, they don't cast well, in my opinion.  The line feeds through a little hole in the cover, and that adds drag to the line.  I threw out every one I owned.  I never bought an expensive one, but it just seems like a fundimentally flawed design.

Spinning Reel --  I like this kind for light-to-medium work.  Usually the spool extends over the base, so that there's much less change of a backlash getting under the edge.

Baitcasting Reel -- I think this is best for heavier artificial baits, for big fish, once you learn the art of the thumb.  Really light baits don't work well for these at all, in my experience.  Of course, that experience was years ago and there may have been improvement since then.   I believe my friend has one by a company named Kwik.  He's really impressed with it.  I don't have any reels like this, except for a bigger "boat rod" for ocean fishing.

The thumbing of the spool takes practice, but about anyone can learn it.  And the backlashes will make you want to learn it.  Get a practice plug, which I've even used in a park when there's no water around.  Try that with a couple of treble hooks on a bait, and you will get real tired of unhooking it from the grass.
I suppose you could use a sinker instead, but they are small enough to get hung up, anyway.

I have never had one with anti-backlash, so I don't know how well it works.  I'm very skeptical of unnecessary gadgets.  Just teach your thumb.

I would definitely make sure to get the "level wind" kind, though.  Otherwise, while you are learning thumb braking, and lightly riding it when the bait is in the air,  you will have the added frustration of learning to guide the line back & forth when you retrieve.

Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#16]
My favorite reel I own is a Shimono Bantom Magnumlite.
I got it about 15-20 years ago for about $130 at Kmart.
I never really mastered for about 7 years (meaning that I would use my thumb as a brake and thought that was going to be as good as it gets)untill I went river fishing for salmon every day after work  for a couple of weeks on the feather river with a friend  who knew his shit.
With mine you have to adjust the magnets and spool speed to the right speeded drop when you free drop the line right in front of you.It's kinda like a fast crawl.
I have not tangled up the reel in over 10 years and this baby casts like throwing rocks.Much nicers and further than my other reels and for me I don't go cheap on my stuff.
After you learn how to use a bait caster the other reels are 2nd choice.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I prefer open-reel to bait-casting. I don't beleive that half my fishing time should be spent unraveling knots in my line.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I caught enough rainbow trouts this year.  Can't wait for catfish season.  I'm also thinking about shore (beach) fishing for mackerels, halibuts, leopard sharks, etc.  Any tips on what kind of setup I need?  Should I get baitcaster or spinning?    
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#20]
... so do I take it that the Shimano "VBS" braking system is [u]not[/u] an adequate substitute for a "masterful thumb" when it comes to braking?

... It seems not. For one, it [i]appears[/i] that the resistance setting for a 15 MPH headwind would be different than that of a 15 MPH tailwind.

... what sort of talented fisherman would have the wherewithal to be changing settings from cast to cast?

... inquiring minds want to know

(thanks so far guys)
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I vote abu garcia 5500. I fish the salt water bays of the gulf coast and garcia is the only one that will survive the saltwater for any length of time. Shimano makes fine reels that do fine in freshwater. I have a few shimanos but they are over priced. Baitcast reels takes a little practice to master but once you get it you will never use anything else.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
prk, you did not provide the definition of a "fishin' pole."  LOL  [:D]...
View Quote

See Lewinsky, down there?[;D]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a Daiwa with a 6.1:1 (6 Ball Bearing) on a 6' IM6 Graphite Medium/Heavy Rod
a Shimano (circa70's) with a 4.7:1 a 6'6" Medium Heavy Rod

A Daiwa open face real w/ 6'6" medium action rod which has been broken in two with a drillbit inserted into the broken ends and epoxied back into place (This is my lucky Catfishing rod; it has caught more catfish and sandbass and crappie then all my other more expensive rods combined). Its nasty blood bait soaked handle and well I just love this fishing pole.

View Quote

Care to mention a few southern Oklahoma or north Texas cat lakes?  fullclip
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I will stick wioth the spinners myself, nothing like picking knots to ruin my day fishing, but then I very seldom fish with artificial lures, I mainly go after walleyes, northern's and catfish, with a little panfishing thrown in :)
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I use my Daiwa in salt water, but you really ought to thoroughly rinse the line, spool, and rods afterwards.

Hey, somebody give Winston some suggestions on what kind of rod to get with his reel.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need a baitcasting rod for a baitcasting reel?

All this is making me want to go down to the sporting goods store.

Speaking of which, last time I went to an outdoor show, I met the biggest egomaniac I've ever met -- has (or had) a fly fishing shop in San Bruno, California --  this guy's mission seemed to be convincing anyone on the other side of his table that they didn't know shit, while blabbing on and on about his expert knowledge and superior gear.  What an ass - sounds just like the gunshop buttheads I hear about here.

+++++++++
Joke:

The warden saw a guy in a rowboat tossing dynamite in the bayou, so he cruised over and said to the old-timer, "You can't do that".

The old timer watched his fuse burn down to about 1", and calmly tossed the stick of TNT into the bottom of the warden's boat, and said, "So are you fishing with me, or not?"
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I've never met a baitcaster that I could master. Some are better than others but I sooner or later create the perfect "nest".  I still use them but stick to heavier lures and 12lb or better line.  Less mess that way.

That being said, they are all about technique.  I know guys that can throw them perfectly. I don't have it yet but refuse to give up.  Just be patient if your just starting out with them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I love shimano reels! Spinning reels yes, baitcasters no. I have used shimano reels since I was 12 and now I'm 30 (phuck!) I migrated to using the baitrunner spinning reel around 1995. I combine them with Cabela's Predator Rods and go fishing in the ICW. Redfish, flounder, sheepshead, blacktips...on and on.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned.  I own a few baitcasters.  I keep them hidden in the attic with my favorite Playboy magazines.

My snobby east-coast fly fishing friends have suspected this of me for years.  However, it wasn't until I hit the warm bigmouth waters of the mid-waste that I actually plunked down money at Wallyworld - of all places - for a few Abu Garcia and Zebco baitcasting rigs.  

If you buy quality stuff, you're guarenteed not to have a bird's nest... until the bass are hungry.

They're a lot of fun, and with practice you can cast further than any other rig.

But, if my firends ask... I'm still casting poppers on a 9' 8wt for bass... alright?
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I love my Garcia Abu 5500C, which I bought new in "77. It has faithfully reeled in many a fish, and casts like a dream. With the new lines available nowadays, I can even whip a 1/4oz rooster tail quite a ways with no backlash. Now it's a"vintage reel and is worth quite a bit. heck, I even have the box and original receipt. But I would NEVER sell it. I also have a 6500C on my striper/light saltwater rig.

I never liked the jap baitcasters, but I love my Shimano ultralight spinner.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey, somebody give Winston some suggestions on what kind of rod to get with his reel.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need a baitcasting rod for a baitcasting reel?

All this is making me want to go down to the sporting goods store.

Speaking of which, last time I went to an outdoor show, I met the biggest egomaniac I've ever met -- has (or had) a fly fishing shop in San Bruno, California --  this guy's mission seemed to be convincing anyone on the other side of his table that they didn't know shit, while blabbing on and on about his expert knowledge and superior gear.  What an ass - sounds just like the gunshop buttheads I hear about here.

+++++++++
Joke:

View Quote

... yeah man!
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#31]
GARY YAMAMOTO!!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 1:09:39 AM EDT
[#32]
[img]www.hunting-pictures.com/members/falcon/Pictureford%20012.jpg[/img].

Try the Browing. I have one and it outlast my Ambassador.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:20:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Well, Winston, soon with a lot of thumb practice you will master bait
casting.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well, Winston, soon with a lot of thumb practice you will master bait
casting.
View Quote

... I will become a master-baiter huh?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 4:04:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Got a Shimano Bantam Curado I wouldnt trade for anything, 'cept maybe a Daiwa. The smootness of the bearing system is unequalled, and while I do get the occasional birds nest, so do the best of the pros. I would highly recommend Shimano reels to anybody who wants to land a keeper both in the reel and with it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Got a Shimano Bantam Curado I wouldnt trade for anything, 'cept maybe a Daiwa. The smootness of the bearing system is unequalled, and while I do get the occasional birds nest, so do the best of the pros. I would highly recommend Shimano reels to anybody who wants to land a keeper both in the reel and with it.
View Quote

... I agree. Just bought a Shimano Curado 200BSF today before class. Smooth as a fine Norwegian maidens' supple fair skin!
Looks just like this. Mounted her on a new XPS Performance Graphite Rod.

... Can't wait 'till Sunday.

[img]http://www.temescaltackle.com/shimano/Curado-200BSF.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#37]
i use garcia 6500 c3 and c4 (i think) for musky fishing.  they work fine for me.  i use 27 and 36lb braided line.  lures weigh up to 4 ounces.  you gotta thumb the line while you cast, slowing it down so it doesn't go crazy..and uh..don't cast into the wind.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 1:24:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Abu Garcia --- Sweeet

But I spent half my boat time in Canada picking the line apart after it rat nested....

Still, you can't beat a nice cast.... It's like "makin love" to the fish!
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:30:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
...and uh..don't cast into the wind.
View Quote

Sounds like a challenge to me...
If I lower my expectations and give it a little extra thumb, that should do the trick, right?
First I gotta get that bait casting rig.  Been wanting one for years.

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:45:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Who says sex doesn't sell fishing gear?

Quoted:
... I agree. Just bought a Shimano Curado 200BSF today before class. Smooth as a fine Norwegian maidens' supple fair skin!
Looks just like this. [b]Mounted her[/b] on a new XPS Performance Graphite Rod.

... Can't wait 'till Sunday.

[img]http://www.temescaltackle.com/shimano/Curado-200BSF.gif[/img]

I hope that didn't hurt too much.....

Hey, how much do these babies cost?
(Geeze, now there [b]I[/b] go!)

My theory on how lures & other terminal tackle are marketed to us:

It doesn't [b]have[/b] to look good to a fish.
It just has to look good to a fisherman.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 8:46:56 AM EDT
[#41]
I'll tell you now tat I own six Shimano Curados, and I love them as if they were my own children. For the money, they are about the best thing going. Shimano's service is also outstanding in the case you should ever break a reel. That being said, I may never buy another Curado, because I have now been spoiled by the newest addition to the family, the Curado 200BSF. It is hands down the sweetest reel going in it's price range. It is extremely smooth, well built, easy to operate, and has a fantastic drag. I still have one ABU, but when it's gone, there will be no more. ABUs are nice in their own way, and I use it for throwing frogs on the big braided lines on thick grass mats when I really want a winch instead of a reel, and I am not concerned about drag performance or smoothness.

Go and get the baitcaster of your choice, and give it enough time and effort to become proficient with it like you would with your rifle, and you will look back someday and laugh when you remember not knowing how to fish a baitcaster.

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Have owned and used baitcasting reels for about 30 years, IMHO can't beat Abu Garcia. Still have the first one I bought, and it still works great. Had a Diawa Millionare when they first came out (1977) and it was a POS. Learning the thumb technique takes some practice, and before you head out to fish it's a good idea to hit the street or back yard with a casting plug to bone up a little-but here's a hint for ya-throw a crocheting needle in your tackle box-they work wonders for unsnarling that professional overrun (birdsnest).
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#43]
IMO, there is no need to pay more than $50 for a bass reel and rod!  I have gotten many quality baitcasters and spinning reals for under $50 bucks.  I guarantee, I can catch more bass with my $50 combo, than you can catch with your $150 combo!  

As far as baitcasters, versus spinning reels, they each have their own purpose.  Each one is made for different situations/baits!
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
IMO, there is no need to pay more than $50 for a bass reel and rod!  I have gotten many quality baitcasters and spinning reals for under $50 bucks.  I guarantee, I can catch more bass with my $50 combo, than you can catch with your $150 combo!
View Quote

... To a degree I think you're right. However, there is a similar analogy to firearms. Sure I can "go to the range" with a $50 pistol but for several obvious reasons most of us don't.

... Likewise, if I'm gonna hold a rod and cast a reel 8 hours a day I want the best I can afford.

... You guys have been tits helping me make my decision on the Shimano Curado CU-200BSF. Y'alls advice helped me choose it specifically.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 2:42:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Just do it man.  Just do it
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:11:47 AM EDT
[#47]
I still use my Mitchel 300. Also have a Mitchel 301 [lefty]. Both bought in the mid 60's. Great reels.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:29:02 AM EDT
[#48]
I've had my Shimano Bantam 100 for more than 20 years.  Taken it to Canada at least ten times fishing for trophy Northern Pike.  Yes, you can outcast anything with a properly setup baitcaster.  

One of the things that impressed me the most with it hasn't been mentioned - the smoothness of the drag system...unbelievable.  

The finest backlash I ever witnessed occurred during a maximum-power downwind cast with a 5/8 oz. plug.  Had the rod fully flexed & loaded went to through the bait & hooked side of the boat.  Had to disassemble the reel to clean the mess up.

Baitcasters are [b]fabulous[/b] tools for teaching patience.

[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top