Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/2/2002 3:43:43 PM EDT
Want to make dinner for someone special, gonna just use a 2 burner propane camping stove in my office to cook something quick and light. Hopefully utilizing fresh produce from the Farmers Market and a nice bottle of wine. I was initially thinking caeser salad, don't know how to make the dressing tho. Then made from scratch Fettucini Alfredo with freshly made pasta from a pasta shop in town. Then stove top apple tarts, don't now how to make this either. What do ya'll suggest?
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:57:33 PM EDT
I don't normally respond to these type of posts. The perverts usually come out in force when the subject turns to the opposite sex. But in this case, judging by the content of your post, if she is that special as you state, take her out to dinner and let someone else do the cooking and give her a choice of menus.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 4:08:02 PM EDT
Ohhh Ceasar Salad??? Hmmm Garlic...anchoveys??? Not a good first date food ( if its a first date) The camp stove is a very limiting point... How about some omlettes?? Make certain that the wine is Canadian!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 4:12:37 PM EDT
RRotz, Best to keep it simple and Italian. You do not need any added stress. The freshest produce and fine wine will do wonders for an intimate meal. However, desert is another thing. Go out and purchase a small selection of fine pastries. Italian pastry is my favorite. Maybe you can add something like a fresh fruit glazed with zabaglione. Been married twenty years and I still get a charge out of making a special meal for me and the wife. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 4:14:14 PM EDT
I would like to throw in a plug for fondue. With two burners, you can have a hot cheese mix on one side and a pot of melted chocolate on the other. Slice up some bread and some fruit, and you're set. Plus, no matter how lousy a cook you might be, or how distracting your date is, it's very hard to screw up fondue.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 4:23:21 PM EDT
With the gear you posted, Swordfish steaks or Salmon steaks with a heavier type sauce would be pretty easy to handle. And still not something you have every day.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 4:32:56 PM EDT
Chicken Cacciatore (Hunter's Chicken) Sautee some garlic in olive oil in pan. Pound out some chicken breasts. Brown in pan. Remove chicken then deglaze pan with marsala wine. Add tomato sauce, jullienned bell pepper, onion and sliced mushrooms. Place chicken back into pan and simmer. Serve with pasta covered with marinara sauce. A nice white wine goes good with this dish.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 4:36:18 PM EDT
I would like to put in a plug for making sure you leave the door open and ensure adequate ventilation. It would be a shame to get to the "till death do us part" so quickly. Think of all you'd miss. Reminds me of the time I tried to do the same thing for a dispatcher. Pasta. Problem was, the electric stove in the back was too puny to boil 2 quarts (probably twice what I needed, thinking back). Well, it got hot enough to do the job, anyway. She thought it was all romantic, etc. Then we discovered we weren't really a good match. Fun while it lasted, though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 4:38:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Imbroglio: Chicken Cacciatore (Hunter's Chicken)
View Quote
Did you get the recipe from your old job? [:O]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 4:47:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:02:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By prk:
Originally Posted By Imbroglio: Chicken Cacciatore (Hunter's Chicken)
View Quote
Did you get the recipe from your old job? [:O]
View Quote
Nah. Becoming a REAL chef is just another one of my shattered dreams.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:03:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:56:10 PM EDT
If I were you I would use this as an opportunity to find out how much she likes you. Crack open two MRE's with dehydrated pork patties as the main entree. Follow up with whatever sides there are and wash it all down with a 12 pack of Lone Star. If she stays she is the woman for you and is willing to put up with all your gun stuff for life. If not send her on her way she is not the woman for you. I am assuming this is a woman? I hope and pray that it is. If not you can get by with some hotdogs in buns.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:03:55 PM EDT
A real good one would be BBQ bacon wrapped shrimp on the grill! Chicks love that stuff! But now I am married so it doesnt matter what chicks love. [>(] [beer]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:14:03 PM EDT
The last time I cooked for a date, it came out very well. It was pretty easy too... Chicken with lemon pepper cooked in the oven, rice pilaf and some steamed fresh green beans. Very tasty and fairly easy to cook. This is a meal I cook on a somewhat regular basis; I'd cook something you've made before. Desert was Ben and Jerry's or some other really good ice cream. It was an excellent evening...
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:16:50 PM EDT
Fry a couple of cheeseburgers using a fine white vermont chedder. Serve them with grilled onions and peppers over a bed of linguine. A glass of yoo-hoo compliments this dish. You can email me later and thank me for the idea.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:27:05 PM EDT
You could make a fast and easy clam sauce over angel hair. Use the one burner to heat the water for the angel hari. Doin't forget to add a dash of olive oil and a pinch of seasalt to the boiling water. Then drain 3 cans of minced clams and save the clam juice. Saute two cloves of fresh minced garlic in olive oil. Add 1 tbl fresh basil and 1 tbl fresh oregano. Add 4 torn roma tomatoes the clam juice a pinch of dried red peppers and some fresh parsely. Simmer that until the tomatoes are soft and then add the clams. Simmer some more. Presto bango... romance!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:27:26 PM EDT
Do yer pasta thing on one burner (white sauce), and boil a pot of water on the other side, toss in a couple of lobsters, and bag a good bottle of Gerwurstraminer (sp?). Desert could be a bottle of Chardonnay (Meridian is a good choice) and cheesecake. Simple yet fairly elegant, and nothing that can't be pulled off on a Coleman stove. Hell, maybe I'll even do this the next time I go camping with the girlfriend. Tubby's suggestion has tons of merit, though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:52:54 PM EDT
So ...which one of the three females you were in such a dilemma about yesterday on this forum are you cooking for? My advice: unless you are quite confident in your cooking skills, take her to a decent restaurant that you can actually afford. Otherwise, should this become a habit (and most American women expect it after a while) then you will go broke, double quick. Been there in my twenties- being poor is not fun, and is not appreciated by the opposite sex. ................. Romance without finance is a nuisance. - --CHARLIE PARKER
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:24:10 PM EDT
Your equipment is simple; keep the meal simple to go along with that theme - wieners roasted on sticks, and you can make smores for dessert. NMSight
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 4:06:24 AM EDT
Classic Caesar Salad This is the real thing. If you have concerns about using a raw egg then you can substitute "Egg Beaters" or some other brand. However, as long as you are using eggs fresh from your favorite food market, you will not have a problem with a raw egg. I really don't recommend the egg substitute at all. 3 heads - romaine lettuce, washed, dried and chilled 2 handfuls - crisp croutons; home-made are best 6 - tablespoons garlic flavored oil *(Not olive oil) 4 - tablespoons olive oil 1 - tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 6 heaping tablespoons - freshly grated Parmesan cheese 1 - raw egg juice of 3 lemons anchovies for garnish salt and coarsely ground black pepper *(Note) To prepare garlic flavored oil, chop or mash 2 cloves of garlic and place in the bottom of a pint jar. Fill the jar with salad oil; keep at room temperature and use as needed. Use the oil only; do not add any of the garlic to the salad. Break the romaine into a large salad bowl; add the croutons, oil, seasonings, and the cheese. Break the raw egg over the salad, then pour the fresh lemon juice over the egg. Toss all together lightly from the bottom, and serve at once. This is my all time favorite salad. It can be served as a side dish or as a main course.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 4:19:43 AM EDT
Hmmmm.... So, whats the real deal there RROTZ! Something a little fishy with you post about "girl trouble". So which one is it that you are cooking for?
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 5:01:43 AM EDT
www.epicurious.com This is where all the recipes from Bon Appetit and Gourmet magazine can be found. Make a meal one night for my SO at the time... glazed salmon, mashed potatoes with spinach and gruyere cheese, sauteed squash and zucchini and a nice bottle of wine. With two burners, I would go with the pasta (find a good sauce on the above website) and a salad. I make a salad that is pretty kick a$$. Bag of washed spinach Two lemons Garlic salt to taste Avocado Tomato Kidney beans Artichoke hearts (optional) Simple: Mix everything together. Squeeze fresh lemon juice throughout. Liberally sprinkle garlic salt while tossing salad to taste. I would say, "Good luck" but this sounds like a bit of a shady deal.... [:P]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:18:07 AM EDT
I concur with Levi. Let somebody else do the cooking. This will free you up from doing any kind of work (cooking, grocery shopping)and allow you time actually talk to one another. Save the original thought (cooking dinner) for a later date. Do the total guy thing and give her a stalk of celery or a tomato, perhaps some kind of fruit that you have never heard of and put it in brown paper sack, and see what she thinks about that. It's worth a good laugh! Not to mention that this M.O. works for me and to this day....still does! Might I add, ask her if she likes (Simpsons Quote-Ralph and Lisa on their first date) stuff?....you'll be amused by the puzzled look on her face. She'll probably say "yes" without realizing the question....her follow-up question might be: "Well, what kind stuff"? Many gals are witty and will have such retorts as "I collect stuff" or "I buy stuff". You can take it from there. Have fun. upward and onward, pgo
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:26:46 AM EDT
Wine, french bread, cheese, and some fruit. Simple and sweet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 11:39:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RRotz: Want to make dinner for someone special, gonna just use a 2 burner propane camping stove in my office to cook something quick and light.
View Quote
She's special enough to cook for but you can't invite her home for dinner???
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 12:59:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/3/2002 1:07:22 PM EDT by RRotz]
Originally Posted By 5150sWife: Hmmmm.... So, whats the real deal there RROTZ! Something a little fishy with you post about "girl trouble". So which one is it that you are cooking for?
View Quote
I've already talked to the GF and she said I could see "B" on a friendly basis but I couldn't goto any clubs, wine and dine her, stay out late or get drunk. Anyways, I told her I was moving out into my own place and she's staying with our friend. So, I thought I'd cook dinner at my office in Downtown Dallas in the late afternoon and hopefully get to talk and have an early dinner. Get the other girl home early for her own next gig, whatever it might be. The GF and I stayed up late last night and discussed things, I said I didn't want to be so serious about our relationship which was fine with her. I complained that it wasn't fair that I'm not able to have any friends other than guy friends and that the other girl was very important to me. She was upset about it and yelled, cried, threw a hissy but seemed to otherwise handle it well. BTW, me cooking for my GF and roommate is an everyday type of thing that's expected of me already. Kevin, the girl i'm cooking dinner for is absolutely forbidden to ever step foot into my house as long as my current girlfriend is there, see my GF has a long standing problem with this other woman.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 2:07:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RRotz: I've already talked to the GF and she said I could see "B" on a friendly basis but I couldn't goto any clubs, wine and dine her, stay out late or get drunk.
View Quote
Please tell me you know what this means my friend? If not in woman terms it meant if you go near her your going to be sleeping in your car tonight. Unless this is the woman your going to married it's not wroth the risk. If you marry your GF she will use it agent you for the rest of your life you will never hear the end of it. But I have to say i respect you for telling your GF that your going to see this girl instead of doing it behind her back. Also if you have never made a nice meal for your current GF your going to get screwed. Need any help just e-mail me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 2:17:17 PM EDT
Top Top