Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/26/2009 11:07:41 AM EDT
Awesome pic, no?  I'd like to know what plane it is, so I don't come across as totally iggorant when I show people this picture.  I'm gathering it's a bomber, and it looks like a swing-wing:

Thots?
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#1]
B-1
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Awesome pic, no?  I'd like to know what plane it is, so I don't come across as totally iggorant when I show people this picture.  I'm gathering it's a bomber, and it looks like a swing-wing:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/WolfFox/celebrating_presidents_day.jpg

Thots?

Da Bone
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, B1B
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#4]
That's the bomber that Jimmy Carter shelved in 76 when I was 8 years old, introducing me to the world of politics and making me hate liberals forever.

Luckily the B1 was resurrected under a better administration.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yep, B1B

Thanx.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's the bomber that Jimmy Carter shelved in 76 when I was 8 years old, introducing me to the world of politics and making me hate liberals forever.

Luckily the B1 was resurrected under a better administration.

God, I love this site.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#7]
B-1B SN 86-0121 "Symphony of Destruction" 37th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB SD

Current nose art:

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Yup, it's the Bone. The B-1A had a ejectable crew capsule a la' the F-111. When Ronnie resurected it, the capsule went away. Funny thing is you can still see the compartment lines on the nose up close. I've been up in the flight deck. There's two fold out jump seats and even a little shitter and galley for the crew. The nose landing gear has a bright ass landing light. The early crew chiefs would hang their field jackets on it and to mess with them a mechanic would turn on the light. Within minutes the light would make their field jackets burst into flames. Seeing one take off at dawn or sunset, on full afterburner is an awesome sight. The airframe is tremendously stong. At low level and full power, few fighters can even keep up with it. It can take a pounding and haul ass in the weeds.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Used to live 1/4 mile from the runway in Grand Forks when the Bone was there.  Couldn't keep pictures straight on the wall, and we had to leave rattle space between the glasses in our cupboards––when those things took off, it would shake the entire house and we lost a glass or two before we figured it out.  Always fun when they'd do a high-speed pass and set off every car alarm on base.  

If you liked that picture, there's plenty more here.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Its a B-1b as mentioned above. Only thing to add is its called the Lancer. B-1b Lancer.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yup, it's the Bone. The B-1A had a ejectable crew capsule a la' the F-111. When Ronnie resurected it, the capsule went away. Funny thing is you can still see the compartment lines on the nose up close. I've been up in the flight deck. There's two fold out jump seats and even a little shitter and galley for the crew. The nose landing gear has a bright ass landing light. The early crew chiefs would hang their field jackets on it and to mess with them a mechanic would turn on the light. Within minutes the light would make their field jackets burst into flames. Seeing one take off at dawn or sunset, on full afterburner is an awesome sight. The airframe is tremendously stong. At low level and full power, few fighters can even keep up with it. It can take a pounding and haul ass in the weeds.

Didn't one or two pilots die because of the ejection capsule? Also, wasn't the capsule in response to high altitude ejection? I think I remember seeing the capsule at Wright Pat that ejected.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#12]
chupacabre
Quoted:

Thots?

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Definitely don't want to be iggorant.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#14]
B-1B Lancer, they are pretty big and amazing in person. Had one do a fly by over my ship in the Atlantic to test some of our air defense pretty awesome sight.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't one or two pilots die because of the ejection capsule? Also, wasn't the capsule in response to high altitude ejection? I think I remember seeing the capsule at Wright Pat that ejected.

I know that three guys died when the B-1 crashed near La Junta, Colorado in 1986. I got sent down to cordon off the crash site. The bomber was doing a low level penetration profile in a MOA and hit a pelican. The bird tore through the wingbox "glove" area. The AC zoomed the aircraft almost vertical to gain altitude for ejection. The DSO and OSO punched out. There was an instructor OSO in the rear jump seat and an IP in the front jumpe seat. They were doomed. I think the right seater stayed in with the IP and other OSO. I know the designers were a bit relieved because no one had punched out of a produtcion model and they were concerned about the nose possibly folding after the stressed ejection panels were blown. The biggest pieces left were the engines and landing gear. Took out a herd of antelope. If the bomber hadn't crashed and continued on it's flight path, it could've wiped out an elementary school. Close call. The F-111 and the B-1A ejection capsule put some serious G-stress on their crew.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Its a B-1b as mentioned above. Only thing to add is its called the Lancer. B-1b Lancer.

Might be it's official name, but the guys that fly it call it the Bone...

Similar to how the F-16 is the "Fighting Falcon" but the drivers call it the Viper....

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Used to live 1/4 mile from the runway in Grand Forks when the Bone was there.  Couldn't keep pictures straight on the wall, and we had to leave rattle space between the glasses in our cupboards––when those things took off, it would shake the entire house and we lost a glass or two before we figured it out.  Always fun when they'd do a high-speed pass and set off every car alarm on base.  

When were you living near GFAFB?  I was on base as a kid from 82 to 86 and in EGF from 86 to 90.  Man that base is an absolute shell of what it once was.....   I remember when the Buff had radar controlled quad 50's and the Strike pad was full of armed and ready aircraft,  I also remember when the B-1B's started being used there.  hell it was never ending fun.....  B1's,  B52's,  Kc-135's, c-130's,  t-38's,  f-5's and helos all buzzing around base.   now the ramp is almost empty.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#19]
It sounds like the space shuttle when it's taking off.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#21]
B-1, saw my first in 1981

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#22]
B-ONE.  Da BONE.  That is my favorite plane of all time.  American aviation might in the flesh.  Shelved by libs, revived then deployed by Reagan.  That plane sent chills up the Soviet spine and defeated their entire air defence system, which was designed for high altitude bomber fleets.  She is fast, she is beautiful, and she almost killed Sadam!

Great pic.  We should build moar!
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Got a highschool friend that flies those.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I haven't had the honor of seeing one of those things in action yet.  I heard they are the loudest aircraft the Air Force has
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Current nose art:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3260/3178607900_ceb125789d.jpg

my old base
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#26]
A couple of years ago, they had a couple B-1's do the flyby at the Indy 500 (or the Brickyard 400––I forget...) and we live out to the NW.  Our neighborhood seems to be just west of the IP where the flybys do their run ins and they usually have to do a couple orbits or mill around for a bit.  So, we see some cool stuff every so often.

Well, I heard these guys out there and they are at 500' right over the neighborhood doing a formation orbit.  My wife's pretty use to me running outside to look at planes flying over so when I was yelling for her to come out, she was like "whatever!".  That impressed the shit out of her.  She STILL talks about it.

I think they have GE404's so it was like 4 F-18's overhead and they were rolled up into a 45 deg. bank with the number two really jacking the power to hold formation.  They were going relatively slow (MAYBE 200kts with their wings fully extended) so the turns were pretty tight.  I think they did two turns and it was awesome.  Thanks for the airshow, guys!

TC

P.S.––The BUFF's did a flyby a few years back but they hit their mark RIGHT on so no show for us.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I haven't had the honor of seeing one of those things in action yet.  I heard they are the loudest aircraft the Air Force has

Louder than a Phantom? Christ!
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#29]
This calls for a few pics............
B-1B goodness....

Rotary launcher with the BUFF....

Cruise missile goodness.....

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Loudest plane I've ever heard.  Like every car alarm at the Super Bowl going off after it passes loud.

We should build moar.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

YES!!! I've heard F-111's at RAF Lakenheath and F-4's at RAF Alconbury. Yes, the Bone is like two F-4s or F-111s flying in close formation. LOUD just doesn't adequately describe it. I went to NCOLS at Ellsworth in 1988. My ears are still ringing. LOL.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Who's landed one at Dyess AFB?

In their training simulator
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#33]
At an airshow they did passes consecutively with the B-2 Spirit,  The B-52,  And the B-1B.  The announcer stated they will do accelerating passes to 350 mph.......  B-2  WOW quiet!,   The good ole BUFF was loud! ,
And the B-1B was........  Groundshaking and deafening LOUD!      LOVED IT!    
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Foggy Bone:

Frosty Bones:

Quote on B-1 avionics bay hatch:

Desert Bone:

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When were you living near GFAFB?  I was on base as a kid from 82 to 86 and in EGF from 86 to 90.  Man that base is an absolute shell of what it once was.....   I remember when the Buff had radar controlled quad 50's and the Strike pad was full of armed and ready aircraft,  I also remember when the B-1B's started being used there.  hell it was never ending fun.....  B1's,  B52's,  Kc-135's, c-130's,  t-38's,  f-5's and helos all buzzing around base.   now the ramp is almost empty.

I was there for three weeks in the summer of 1987 (when they had the flight line all ripped up to upgrade the infrastructure from B52s to B1s), then from 1989-1994.  I was in the missile wing, though.  Lived on base on Hawaii St (around January, we always chuckled at the irony of that name...)

My oldest was born there, and when he was 2-3 years old, we'd walk to the flight line and watch them take off and land.

Trivia:  the flames from the afterburners are about 150 ft long, and at dusk on a clear day, you can see them for about 50 miles.  

ETA:  This is what I'm talking about ....

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thots?

Bone

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Current nose art:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3260/3178607900_ceb125789d.jpg

Try again.  It's 86-0097, Iron Eagle nose art in the pic.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
At an airshow they did passes consecutively with the B-2 Spirit,  The B-52,  And the B-1B.  The announcer stated they will do accelerating passes to 350 mph.......  B-2  WOW quiet!,   The good ole BUFF was loud! ,
And the B-1B was........  Groundshaking and deafening LOUD!      LOVED IT!    

Georgetown, Texas (small city north of Austin) had an airshow a few years back that dad and I went to.  They had a B-2 flyover.  Dad (former USAF F-4 WSO, among others) mentioned that someone organizing the airshow must have had some pull to get a B-2 to fly over.  

IIRC, it was pretty quiet.  Also got to see a B-17 fire up it's engines and do a few circuits.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes!

Hard to believe, but the Bone is like a flight of F4's

It is a loud sexy bitch.

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#41]
There use to be B-1s at McConnell AFB in Wichita.  Not to long after they came into service a B-1 did a fly over at the local 4th July celebration, about 50 miles south of Wichita. I was fishing a large pond behind my Dad's house when the B-1 came roaring low over the pond, did a tight turn and headed back the other way. Minute later here came the B-1 (I swear it was even lower than before) roaring overhead and making a turn. I suspect the pilot was using the pond as a reference point as he did fly-bys for the celebration. It was an awe inspiring sight to see....
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Broken Bone.  

ETA:  During the Gulf War, the B1s were grounded because the main retaining ring for the engines were defective.  We had a good time with that.

- "So, I understand they were supposed to have a B1 at the airshow in Denver, but then the rail workers went on strike."  
- "Hey, look, a B1 actually flying––no, wait, I can see the wires...."  
- And my favorite––this was about a year after George Bush Sr. removed the bombers from their nuclear commitment.  Between that, and the multiple groundings for safety-of-flight issues in the early 1990s, aircrew would go months between actual takeoffs.  My neighbor across the street was a B1 copilot, and always parked his vehicle right behind mine.  The missileers had a bunch of bumper stickers made up that showed a picture of a Minuteman launching, and the caption was "Minuteman III––Winners of the Cold War.....

AND STILL ON ALERT!"

I had two of them in my back window.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Who's landed one at Dyess AFB?

In their training simulator .

I have too........on the taxiway....
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Swing wing bomber? B-1, without even seeing the pic.

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#45]

And the B-1 that tipped that F-16 was at IDLE!!!  

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Broken Bone.  

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/brokenbone1.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/b1_broken.jpg

ETA:  During the Gulf War, the B1s were grounded because the main retaining ring for the engines were defective.  We had a good time with that.

- "So, I understand they were supposed to have a B1 at the airshow in Denver, but then the rail workers went on strike."  
- And my favorite––this was about a year after George Bush Sr. removed the bombers from their nuclear commitment.  Between that, and the multiple groundings for safety-of-flight issues in the early 1990s, aircrew would go months between actual takeoffs.  My neighbor across the street was a B1 copilot, and always parked his vehicle right behind mine.  The missileers had a bunch of bumper stickers made up that showed a picture of a Minuteman launching, and the caption was "Minuteman III––Winners of the Cold War.....

AND STILL ON ALERT!"

Broken bone!        Somebody got a foot up their arse for that one.

Limaxray,  My father was with the 319 BMW for a few years,   we lived on March DR.

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Broken Bone.  

AND STILL ON ALERT!"

B-1's were STILL on Alert and the B-1 had NO CONVENTIONAL CAPABILITY at the time.  Hey Lima, When is the last time you jad an On-time take off??
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Broken Bone.  

AND STILL ON ALERT!"

B-1's were STILL on Alert and the B-1 had NO CONVENTIONAL CAPABILITY at the time.  Hey Lima, When is the last time you jad an On-time take off??

Never, but remember, with ICBMs, that's a good thing...
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Russian Knock off bones.

My father in law when he was a squid, said those scare the shit out of him.

eta that and the backfires.

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Russian Knock off bones.

http://eldib.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/tu160.jpg

My father in law when he was a squid, said those scare the shit out of him.

Ah, yes.  The intel folks used to call it the "B-Oneski."

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top