Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2002 4:56:58 PM EDT
Qualifying for the Australian GP starts in five minutes live on Speedvision or whatever the hell they are calling themselves now.  Nice to finally not have to wake up at four in the morning to watch this.

Any other fans out there?

Go Ralf!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah...but it is 4AM here....

Too bad Mika Häkkinen is taking a break(maybe retiring totally) and we just have Mika Salo and Kimi Räikkönen there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Why didn't you tell me 20 min. ago!! [:)]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#4]
to hell with M.Schumacher/Ferrari! This is the year for JP.Montoya and R.Schumacher/BMW!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
F1 is real racing.  All others are pale comparisons.
View Quote

FIA World Rally racing is really starting to grow on me too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#6]
[img]http://www.heraldica.org/topics/pictures/ferrari.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.lequipe.fr/Xml/Formule1/Titres/Media/schumacher_monza.jpg[/img]

Yeah baby!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice to finally not have to wake up at four in the morning to watch this.
View Quote

HA HA

It's 1:56PM AEDST right now (yes, i'm in rainy melbourne)
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Whats F1???
Real racin' is NASCAR!
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#10]
You would have been happy to see what they were running in today (tonight?) in Melbourne raf.

You know I would love to see Jeff Gordon and Michael Shumacher race each other- in karts.

Both of them raced shifter carts as kids, and still do it for recreation. Its common ground, not like trying to get one to adjust to the others kind of car. Would be very very interesting.

I think Schumacher will win the title again. Fiat gave Ferrrari waay too much money this year. They actually ran two development programs, starting last season. The cars Ferrari ran at Suzuka last year were brand new and highly modified from the regular 01 car. Those three chassies they brought to Suzuka are what they are runing- with even more modifications and also a new 02 spec engine- at Melbourne and again in Malaya and Brazil. The cars are fully sorted and most of the data from last years races are applicable. Its already got them a easy front row here at Melbourne. I will be suprised if they dont get to Europe with a 3 race win lead for Michael. By the time they get to San Marino, they will take over a fully sorted 02 Ferrari that has 2 months more development on it than anyone else. Although the other teams have three races, those are overseas races and they cant realy test any new modifications till after Brazil.

And to you NAKED, I like NASCAR a lot but... it has more in comon with pro wrestlng than real auto racing. Find me a rear wheel drive V8 Tarus on the street will yeah?  And look at the technology, they have CARBURATORS for christ sake. Solid rear ends. No its a show. I like it a lot but its a show. F1 isnt the best racing either, the actual competative passes for the lead last year could be counted on your fingers. The Best auto racing is the American and European LeMans series. Now those are real race cars. No rules and racing that actually is a challenge for both engineers and drivers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#11]
The first F1 I attended was in Monaco.  I was a guest of a former F1 driver / Le Mans winner who lives right on the course.  I even got to drive a lap in a Porsche Cup car.  Hearing those motors turning at 19,000 RPM in the tunnel was way out of hand.  The amount of money surrounding the event was beyond words.  It is obviously the pinnacle of motor sport.  One need look no further than the number of drivers that come to the US and drive CART when they can't hack it in F1 anymore.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Just look at what Nigel Mansell did when he came to CART after 2 consecutive F1 championships.  He is still the only "rookie" driver to win the CART championship.  Too bad they screwed up the car when he went back to F1.  You may or may not remember the whole debacle of the cocpit that was too small for him in the McClaren.  One hundred million to develop a car that would not fit the driver.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#14]
[b]F1 RULES[/b]

Jackie Stewart...Emerson Fittipaldi...Graham Hill...Jody Scheckter...Carlos Reutemann...Jacky Icxx...Jim Clark...Jack Brabham...Juan Manuel Fangio...McLaren-ELF-March-Ferrari-John Player Lotus___Nurburgring___Silverstone___Watkins Glen___Monza___Monte Caro

Those were the days [8D]

Forget Roundy Rounds.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Haha! Bill Ford must be getting ready to crap his pants.  Jaguar's spent what probably a billion USD over 3 years and now they are duking it out at the tail end with Minardi. That's what I love about F1. If you don't bring a top car, the rest of the grid wipes the floor with you. None of this parity BS "Oh we'll give Dodge/Ford/Chevy an inch of spoiler" like in the redneck roundy round series.
P.S Tuukka, Kimi seems to have done well for himself...multimillion dollar contract, free Mercedes road cars, Miss Scandivia 2000 for his girlfriend. Life is good for that 20 year old.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I actually got within 10' of Emmo Fittipaldi in Gasoline Alley after he won the '89 Indy 500.

But ...Alas...I've never met my F1 hero...Jackie Stewart [:(]

And yet Colin Chapman has indeed passed away.

Oh, the memories!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
F1 is real racing.  All others are pale comparisons.
View Quote

FIA World Rally racing is really starting to grow on me too.
View Quote

World Rally racing is a hoot to watch, especially the in car shots.  Now those guys are fricken nuts.

I saw the French GP in '98 and might go to Hungary this year to see it there.  Those cars are really friggen loud, I can't imagine what it would be like in the tunnel at Monaco.  As it was, sitting across from the pits you could feel the sound of the shifting gears hit you as they went by.

Now if Ralf can just pull it out from third tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Talk about panache... Graham Hill died in a plane crash flying to test-drive his new Lotus.

What's a Bubba gonna go?
View Quote

Maybe you need to go to bed...A flamboyant attitude is one thing,(refer to Panache) but what is this "Bubba gonna go?"...Mean???
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#21]
The reason F1 is poorly recieved in the us is that after the first lap the rest of the race sucks. every one follows the leader and the courses are so bad that no one can pass. The ususal is only one or 2 lead changes, caused by pit mistakes.  I do not doupt that these are the finest drivers in the worl, in the best cars.... but the action sucks.... almost as bad as cart(cry babies at rogers track)
Nascar has become wwf on wheels Irl is watered down, the only thing left I like is the sprint cars or sport cars...pat
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#22]
[b]Formula 1[/b]

[b]Beethoven's 9Th[/b]

Emotion of the Soul...Music to the ears!!!

"The Apex is the drivers best friend"

Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#23]
HA!
Real racing starts later this month the the American Motorcyclist Association Superbike series at Daytona and the GP1 and World Superbikes series.

Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Whats F1???

Real racin' is NASCAR!
View Quote

F1 is what those punks in nascar DREAM about!

[:p]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:25:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Whats F1???
Real racin' is NASCAR!
View Quote

I like NASCAR and watch every week. However,  the cars are Model-T's compared to F1 Cars, and it takes a helluva lot more skill to drive an F1 car at 200mph on a flat road course than it does to drive a stock car on an oval at under 200 mph. Ain't no damn restrictor plates on F1, either. I like speed and cutting edge technology, and F1 has NASCAR beat on both fronts. Just my .02.
Pit
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If I remember right, I attended one of the last F1 races at Nubergring about 1968 or so.
Let me tell you, these guys were flat out 160 mph plus in a fog and rain so dense that I could not see the other side of the track.  the sight of these MADMEN racing in such abysmal conditions was awesome.  I wish you were there.  I was dumbfounded that thr race wasn't called, but later I was told that it was "with in the norm for F1."
Nowadays, the prissy F1 types will hardly race if there's a cloud in the sky.
(Sigh) "there were Giants in the Earth in those days..."
View Quote
You obviously have never seen Schuey in the rain. Only way to describe it is pure magic IMHO. F1 is my favorite form of auto racing for shure.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You obviously have never seen Schuey in the rain. Only way to describe it is pure magic IMHO. F1 is my favorite form of auto racing for shure.
View Quote

Don't forget    SENNA!
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#29]
watching now on speed...   WTF?  did you see that opening mess??  I'm so ashamed of my boy R.Schumacher [:(]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, I know what you mean.  Rubens kinda pulled in front of him though.  I think there is blame all around.  I just can't believe that they didn't red flag the race.  Oh well, everything is ass backward in that part of the world anyhow. [:P]  Malaysia should be a good race though, that is a great track.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#31]
One down two do go. Michael didn't let me down.

But WOW a F1 race with actual PASSING on a track that everyone clamed had only ONE legitamate passing zone. I counted three passes for the race lead, legit ones.

It was a shame that Barachello didn't get a chance to turn his pole into a win. He isnt going to get many more. His contract is up at the end of the season I beleve, and although Michael and the Ferrari brass both like him it happens that Ralf Schumacher is very unhappy at Williams with the attention that has been given to the newcomer Montoya.  I think the Schumacher brothers would very much like to race togeather on the same team for a while before Michael hangs it up.

Did you see all the trouble the Michilen shod teams had in the cold weather?  And also note how much better a year old car was over ones that had been just finished and were not yet sorted out.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#32]
In Malaysia and Brazil if it's hot and dry like it's supposed to be, the Michelins will perform a LOT better. The Michelins don't perform well in cold weather and their wet weather tires are inferior to the bridgestones.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Malaysia is always hot but its never very dry.  
Sao Palo is Michilein's best bet.

But Michaels' pass on Montoya on the outside of turn one- going off line- was indicative of vastly superior grip, and a driver who knows how to use it.  Either that or Ferrari's traction control system is lightyears ahead of Williams.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top