Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#1]
To all the men who think it's a hopeless situation and she'll never lose the weight.

Wrong.  It cn be done.

But she has to do it for herself.  Not for you.  She has to want it badly enough for herself.

I've lost 65 pounds in the last year.  I'm 42, and my son is 17.  I was very unhappy in my first marriage, and my 2nd marriage ended unfortunately with the death of my husband.  It took another 8 years to finally start to fix myself.  I'm now at a healthy weight nd BMI, and have been maintaning for 5 months so far.

However, what I have realized is that the weight wasn't the only thing that was making me unhappy.  I'm still working on that.  Funny how even losing all that weight didn't make me as happy as I should be.  She's gotta figure that out for herself.  I'm working on it.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
To all the men who think it's a hopeless situation and she'll never lose the weight.

Wrong.  It cn be done.

But she has to do it for herself.  Not for you.  She has to want it badly enough for herself.

I've lost 65 pounds in the last year.  I'm 42, and my son is 17.  I was very unhappy in my first marriage, and my 2nd marriage ended unfortunately with the death of my husband.  It took another 8 years to finally start to fix myself.  I'm now at a healthy weight nd BMI, and have been maintaning for 5 months so far.

However, what I have realized is that the weight wasn't the only thing that was making me unhappy.  I'm still working on that.  Funny how even losing all that weight didn't make me as happy as I should be.  She's gotta figure that out for herself.  I'm working on it.

I agree with you in part.  She absolutely needs to want it badly enough for herself.  The problem is that married couples are supposed to be "one".  That means that one's decisions need to take into consideration the needs of both involved partners.  This isn't just her issue, and it isn't just about her.  It's an issue that impacts both her and her husband.  It's time for married people to stop thinking of themselves as if they weren't in a partnership.

And before anyone thinks I'm being judgemental or sitting on a high horse, I'll openly admit that about a year ago I received a bathroom scale as a present from my wife.    Yes, I got the message loud and clear.

By the way, Daisy, congratulations on your success on getting into shape.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:27:59 AM EDT
[#3]
in!!!!

tell her in song,  that will soften the blow.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#4]
So how bad a husband is the OP if he would NOT address her weight issue?  At 215, her weight is high enough that it most certainly will cause health problems if not addressed.  Is the OP supposed to stand by and ignore a potential health crisis?  No, someone who loves their spouse tries to find a way to help.  The wife even admits to needing help, but then faults her husband for trying.  This is a difficult situation for HIM.  And I'm not saying it's not hard for her too.  It has to be.  But she has to help herself first.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I cant help but wonder what the OP looks like.

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/hollywood387/IMAGE_00111.jpg

Ok from a female who struggles with weight... and form the other side of this exact same thing.

Hollywood....
MY husband told me before we got married that if I ever got fat it would end our relationship.

At least he was bluntly up front about it.

Some guys might be so dazzled they promise "I'll always love you forever no matter what".  

He set the terms of his bargain.  Like a contract.

I am 5'5 and was 200 when we met. I lost down to 135 by my wedding day. 2 very difficult pregnancies 2 beautiful kids and a doting wife. 3 square a day, laid out his clothes tried to keep the weight off, It worked until I was in a near fatal car wreck... back up to  200 and running 5 miles miles a day is not longer possible.

Depending upon the injuries and ensuing disabilities, that can be an extremely tough go.

There are upper body cardio machines for people in that case which might work.  A physical therapist could probably asist with getting you set up with one.

Water aerobics is also fairly efficient without impacting joints so much.

Of course every case is different.

I'm just saying, for me at least, injury doesn't mean give up.  It means reconfigure.

My spouse said these exact words:.
"You are fat, I no longer am attracted to you, i no longer love you. You are the reason for my ED"  

Again, this human life is full of pain.  But truth stand alone on its own merits.  He spoke his truth about himself.  No more and no less.

I cannot describe what that did to my self esteem or how it shreaded my heart.

I know it did.  Seriously.  I have made unspeakable mistakes in my life.

I have learned to take the pain of it head on.

It destroyed me.

Do not ever give another human being the power to destroy you.  Ever.  Period.

You take care of yourself and that is clear. So does my spouse. I take care of everyone and everything else.

Pardon me for some blunt talk you will hate:

That is just FUBAR.  Quit taking care of people.  

There is no one more unhappy about being fat than the person who is struggling with the fat.

And that self-hatred can be 99% lifted immediately with every sincere hard exertion of every muscle one does.

Not some half hearted "try", but with every step, every push or pull to strengthen the heart and the rest of the body.

Heroic effort is exerted by all sorts of very average looking people every day.  You've done it before, you can do it again.

I hate it. I am not going to diminish your needs in this situation. Attraction is key to a long and faithful marriage. Don't use her weight as an excuse to do anything stupid.

Where is the excuse for what?  The OP was not talking about divorce.

He is facing his very real physical disgust.

And even if some guy actually truly has thought through "Do I want to remain married to a grossly fat woman?" and has truthfully answered "No.", how is that "stupid"?

You need to gently and loving talk to her about HER needs. What can you do to help her so you both can be happy.
What is she missing in her life that she is using food to compensate for?

Maybe, but it sounds like feeding into drama and excuses if one asks me.

Stress how much you love her and want a LONG life with her and the need for her to set a good example of health for her children as well.

This is good.  Seriously.  Emphasise the long healthy life stuff.

Then partner with her on HER level.

Or just face that they are at different fitness levels.  Tell her that you will help and get out of the way for whatever excercise she likes to do.

You are intimidatingly in shape. It looks easy for you. Is she getting the time to work out?

One pair of shoes, sweat pants, sweat shirt and out the front door.  30 minutes morning, 30 minutes evening.  That's all it takes.  

But that is what it takes.

Does she have someone to help with the kids and others things to take care of her self as well?

"Take care of her"???  How?  She's an adult.

I get sick of all this "everybody take care of everybody" horseshit.

Is she depressed? In a rut?

Gosh, do ya think?  

And just who in tarnation has the responsiblity to pry her ass out of a depressed rut if she is?

Clue #1 –– It ain't Oprah.

The greatest gift you can give your kids to is love their mother. Think about it. Love her enough to recognize this is going to be a painful thing for her to face and over come. If she has your arms and heart to support her
she will keep i t off in the long run.

NO.

No man, no human being, either props me up or brings me down.

Don't give up on her ok?

He's not talking about divorcing her.

But actually... what's it to you, or to me, or to any of us what he ends up doing?

I don't have a dog in this fight.

Yes, you've provided insight into what a woman in your position feels like.

So have I.  

But I don't say "ditch her" and I don't say "coddle her" either one.

Those are the OP's decisions based upon the OP's situation.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate to say it but it is too late.  She didn't lose the baby weight because she didn't want to.  She isn't ever going to diet and lose weight unless she wants to.  As it sits there is nothing motivating her.  The only thing you can do is try to figure out what you can change about yourself or the relationship that might motivate her and then you change yourself and hope for the best.

I'm no expert on what you two need so I strongly suggest you go see a counselor about your relationship to help you focus on things.

This.

You're fucking stuck with the fat, sorry to say.  Get a few new hobbies and try to ignore her as much possible.  You MIGHT be able to guilt trip her if you refuse to go out in public with her....or you'll end up divorced.

This too. If you can stick it out til you get a little older, you won't want to have sex anyway and then it won't matter that much. Sux, but that's life.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#7]
EMBRACE THE PLUMP BROTHA! I welcome you into the fraternal order of chubby chaser post #124.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
EMBRACE THE PLUMP BROTHA! I welcome you into the fraternal order of chubby chaser post #124.

IBTL
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#9]
IBTL
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#10]
This place has turned into the "No Fun Zone" for sure.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I suppose you look the same as you did prior to the kids coming along?

Better, actually.  I was 5'11", 175# then.  I'm 190 now and ripped.  (I'm an Ironworker)

Really?  You have thicker hair?  No grey?  Balls not sagging at all?  

You know.... there is a difference between aging and letting yourself turn into an unhealthy ball of lard.

Talk to me about it after YOU have babies okay?  

babies do not cause a woman to permanently gain weight...
baby weight? sure, i will buy that.
3-5 years after the kid was born? thats just being a lazy slob.

loosing weight is easy. calories in < calories expended.
very few people have conditions preventing them from loosing weight.
there is a reason that 66%+ of americans are overweight or obese.
excuses excuses excuses.
stop making them.
stop posting and go for a walk, run, bike, swim, play with the dog or kids, hell anything!

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:26:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I cant help but wonder what the OP looks like.

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/hollywood387/IMAGE_00111.jpg

i bet thats not the response johnny expected!
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
these things happen when a relationship is started and based in a major way on looks and for her, money.

if you search your memory and are honest with yourself, what was the first thing that attracted you to your wife?

if it was her looks and the fact that she easily gave you pie, well then you have what you have now.

looks fade quite easily.

or

on the other hand, if you fell in love with her  for who she is and how she compliments your life, makes it easier.

would you love your wife just as much if you could never have sex again with her? that's love.

what your talking about is lust.

hey, I've been there, I had a wife that I married for looks, not for love, the relationship soured and I ejected. lesson learned.

my marriage now is based on companionship, friendship, and love.

but the point is our marriage is based on much more than sex and looks.

if that's a problem then first seek a marriage counselor, if that doesn't work, seek a lawyer, the problem is with both of you and both of you will have to fix it.

the issue of a overweight spouse is not just lust related.
it comes down to respect.
does your wife know you wish to remain physically AND emotionally attracted to her?
mine does.
if she gives up on how she looks, be it dressing, hygene, and fitness. i take that as a big slap in the face, as it is telling me she no longer gives a damn about how i feel about her and things that are VERY important to me.
i get your point though. some people putt less emphasis on physical appearance, while others make that paramount.

it is all about respect and honoring one another.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Rub some dirt on it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I would never date or marry a man who wouldn't love me if I were overweight (not directed at you, OP, you're a good man). That said, I do my best to keep my weight at a healthy level BECAUSE mine is a good man and loves me no matter what. Love for him motivates me. Bullying, manipulation, and pushing do not.

I started to gain weight, and hit my heaviest a year ago. In the last 4.5 months I have lost 25 lbs AND gained muscle. I look better now than I did when we started dating - and I'm in the same pant size I was then, too. I feel great, and he can't keep his paws off me. But NEVER when I was having a hard time did he punish me for it. I take care of him, and he loves me for it. No. Matter. What.
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top