BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Post from ARlady -
you can do all those things you mentioned, yet you can't spell out the name of your own holy book or the name of God?

please explain why people do this. i simply do not understand this kind of reaction to this topic.
View Quote

First, there are no vowels in Hebrew, as there are in most other languages. So Torah is written that way in Hebrew.

If I'm not mistaken, there were no vowels in the language known as 'Egyptian.'

And second, most Jews, especially Orthodox Jews, would consider it sacriligious to utter the name of their G-d, or their most Holy Book.

Hebrew abounds with names for the almighty that do not directly mention His name!

'Almighty' is one of them! In Hewbrew [i][b]El Shaddai[/b][/i]

Check out this site:[url]http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm[/url]

Eric The(Messianic)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:15:08 AM EDT
[#2]

posted by EricTheHun:
No. It was the 'whited sepulchres' that Jesus warned against that crucified Him!

Those who outwardly profess 'religion', but inwardly are nothing but dead mens' bones.

They were blind guides and hypocrites, and the Lord warned us 'That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:20.

Sounds like a pretty narrow way to salvation to me! And few there are that find it!
View Quote

Eric,
Right with you bro.! We are talking semantics.
I guess my point is, you can have religion, and not have a personal relationship with the Creator.
-See the quotes from the NIV below-

If you have that personal relationship, then you will have [b]real[/b] religion.
I have known many [b]"religious"[/b] (notice the quotes), people that cringe at the idea of enjoying God's presence, or true worship, or going into the highways and byways.
You and I are on the same page on this one.
AC 25:19 Instead, they had some points of dispute with him about their own [b]religion[/b] and about a dead man named Jesus who Paul claimed was alive.

AC 26:5 They have known me for a long time and can testify, if they are willing, that according to the strictest sect of our [b]religion,[/b] I lived as a Pharisee.
1TI 5:4 But if a widow has children or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their [b]religion[/b] into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God.
JAS 1:26 If anyone considers himself [b]religious[/b] and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.

JAS 1:27 [b]Religion[/b] that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and [b]to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.[/b]

There is that narrow road again.
Ever read the poem, "Two Roads Diverged in a Yellow Wood" by Robert Frost?
We are called to "the road less traveled".
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:28:36 AM EDT
[#3]
[img]jesusoftheweek.com/art/j2k1-16.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:20:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
To me, religion is about rules people follow to make them feel better about themselves. Its the "look what I was able to accomplish, how good I am" syndrome.

My faith in God is about what He did with a relatively worthless person like me. The emphasis is on the goodnesss of God, NOT the goodness of garandman.

Or at least that's the way its supposed to be. Not that I've mastered that yet.

So, when I quote a scripture or disagree with someone's actions, its not about me, or what I think. Its about what God says.

So, in that sense, I'm not religious.
View Quote

I don't think I could have expressed my position any better garand, so forgive me for saving some typing. I would only add, that IMHO, most "churchs' in this country are apostate......[peep]

edited to add, I too did not vote in this poll. When Jesus refered to the Pharisees as "hypocrites", I think he was in part talking about their religeosity (is that a word?)
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:44:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Post from mini14jac -
There is that narrow road again.
Ever read the poem, "Two Roads Diverged in a Yellow Wood" by Robert Frost?
We are called to "the road less traveled".
View Quote

Yes, we are, Brother, even though that road may lead to our own personal Calvary, there is no other road 'given under heaven' that we need be on!

Eric The('HighwayOfHoliness'ICallIt)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
[img]jesusoftheweek.com/art/j2k-23.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I am very religious, however I do not attend church.  I am all for it, but, I do not need someone to tell me how to pray or praise god.  I have read the bible, and I can quote it word for word, in the context.  And it really p.o. when some quotes only a line.  If you quote, it should be the whole story.  Not two lines.  Not only of the Christian religion, but I have also read a book on budism, and the Koran.  And they are all truly good religions.  And I do not consider myself, one religion or another, or a sect. of one.  But I do say I am religious.  I pray every day, and sometimes more than once.  I give thanks for what I have, and pay homage to those whom have fought, and those whom have died for my freedoms.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I am a strong believer in God and the Bible but don't go to church near enough.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Simply put, I am a strong believer in God but 'not' the Church.

I do not have a problem praying or thanking in my backyard, car, etc.

My preference is for atheist if my other choice is 'fundamentalist' of any religion.

(Statements are meant to be broad-brush with room for exceptions.)
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I think it was the Australian in "Vertical Limit" that put it this way:
"The Muslims say if I don't believe in Allah I'm going to hell.  The Catholics say if I don't speak to the Virgin Mary, I'm going to hell.  The Christians say if I don't belive in Jesus I'm going to hell.  The Jews say if I believe in Jesus I'm going to hell.  So the way I see it, I'm screwed no matter what!"
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think it was the Australian in "Vertical Limit" that put it this way:
"The Muslims say if I don't believe in Allah I'm going to hell.  The Catholics say if I don't speak to the Virgin Mary, I'm going to hell.  The Christians say if I don't belive in Jesus I'm going to hell.  The Jews say if I believe in Jesus I'm going to hell.  So the way I see it, I'm screwed no matter what!"
View Quote

Cypher,
From the "Christian" point of view, a couple of billion Chinese, a billion or so Muslims, a few million Jews and a few billion "other" are all going to hell.

You and I've got to worry about getting a seat on the bus.
(I'm thinking it is going to be crowded as hell in hell !)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top