Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2002 10:56:53 AM EDT
This literally made me feel nauseous when I read it.

[url]http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_2201-2250/ab_2222_bill_20020220_introduced.html[/url]

I've already started a project to build a 50 BMG rifle.  (Started in October)
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#2]
what's a .50 caliber[i] sniper weapon[/i]?  Much too vague, even in simplest terms this would still probably allow single shot M2 .50s in the state.  How would this affect .50 uppers like the Ferret?  Since it's an upper only - it's not a weapon, right?

edited because I have fat fingers...
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Dam it I'm so tired of these a_ _ holes.  
Whats next can't own a f_ cking sling shot in Cali ?
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
If you read the bill it has a definition for what a rifle is. Just says, "a weapon capable of firing..." yadayadayada. So, since a Ferret50 might not be classified as a "firearm" it seems to fit the definition of a rifle when it is attached to the lower. Also seems to ban post 1899 black powder rifles.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#5]
What about those fellas who own heavy africa rifles like 505 gibbs, 510 wells, or any other rifle that approximates 50 caliber and is intended for hunting?

Karl
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you read the bill it has a definition for what a rifle is. Just says, "a weapon capable of firing..." yadayadayada. So, since a Ferret50 might not be classified as a "firearm" it seems to fit the definition of a rifle when it is attached to the lower. Also seems to ban post 1899 black powder rifles.
View Quote

Not quite.  Existing law in Section 12020 defines rifle as:

As used in this section, a "rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and [u]intended to be fired from the shoulder[/u]...
View Quote
(emphasis added)

That is also the definition of "rifle" that applies to "assault weapons" that are not pistols or shotguns.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
what's a .50 caliber[i] sniper weapon[/i]?  Much too vague, even in simplest terms this would still probably allow single shot M2 .50s in the state.  How would this affect .50 uppers like the Ferret?  Since it's an upper only - it's not a weapon, right?

edited because I have fat fingers...
View Quote

Well, according to these bozos, a .50 caliber sniper weapon is defined in Section 12200b as follows:

The term ".50 caliber sniper weapon", means a rifle capable of firing a center-fire cartridge in .50 caliber, .50 BMG caliber, any other variant of .50 caliber, or any metric equivalent of these calibers.
View Quote

It's a term completely fabricated by these left-wing nutjobs -- much like "assault weapon." ANY rifle can be a sniper weapon in the right (or wrong) hands. And, as JBear pointed out, the whole "any other variant" nonsense could impact .50 black powder guns.

The other thing that's got my ire up is Sec. 12230b that reads:

[E]very person who lawfully possesses a .50 caliber sniper weapon prior to January 1, 2003, shall make application for a permit for possession of the weapon on or before March 31, 2003.
View Quote

Unless I'm misreading it, this goes beyond registration. It's saying you have to ask permission to keep owning something that you already own.

Yes, I feel so much safer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The other thing that's got my ire up is Sec. 12230b that reads:

[E]very person who lawfully possesses a .50 caliber sniper weapon prior to January 1, 2003, shall make application for a permit for possession of the weapon on or before March 31, 2003.
View Quote

Unless I'm misreading it, this goes beyond registration. It's saying you have to ask permission to keep owning something that you already own....
View Quote

That's right.

You get to apply for permission from you local chief LEO [u]and[/u] the Department of Justice.

And you have about the same chance of getting approval as you have of getting a permit for a flippin' MACHINEGUN!

[heavy]

Any bets on how long it will be before some idiot in the Assembly comes up with a bill for a "50 Caliber Sniper Weapon Buyback"?

Wanna sell your AR-50 to Bill Lockyer for $100?
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#9]
There was a similar thread started a while back dealing with this subject. [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=95607[/url]

It seems that the gunners are only interested in protecting their own interests. At one time the 50-cal people would not lift a finger to help the black rifle crowd. And as for SASS(Single Action Shooters Society) forget it; they go, it doesn't affect my guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top